• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
They should get rid of those tensor cores and work to give you better performance in native 4k.

DLSS adds 35-60% framerate uplift and the Tensor cores take up 5% die space. You take those Tensor cores away and put back an extra couple SM units you're looking at an extra 5% performance - so yay you just gained 5% and lost up to 60% and now you have to use a software layer denoiser so ray tracing just became unplayable, at least you got that 5% in rasterisation...

Soldato
If you increase the games to 23, then the 3080 is ahead of the 6800xt by 6%. The 3080 is also ahead at every resolution. The mix and number of games matter. Thats why some reviews will have the 6800xt ahead, some even mixed result. Simple size is too small. The cards both have games they do well at and draw in many other games. Also the test system affects the results. Most people wont be using SAM.

This review is of 23 games. The 3080 is ahead by 6% @ 1080p, 4% @ 1440p and 6% @ 4k. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/35.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/41.html

I was more looking at games I'm interested in and the 6800xt performs better and watched comparisons on YouTube , that techpowerup site it's 4 and 5 Frames in it average also I'm interested in the AIB cards red devil seems to clock higher

I wanna see more games that are ported from the new gen consoles not older titles

Associate
If you increase the games to 23, then the 3080 is ahead of the 6800xt by 6%. The 3080 is also ahead at every resolution. The mix and number of games matter. Thats why some reviews will have the 6800xt ahead, some even mixed result. Simple size is too small. The cards both have games they do well at and draw in many other games. Also the test system affects the results. Most people wont be using SAM.

This review is of 23 games. The 3080 is ahead by 6% @ 1080p, 4% @ 1440p and 6% @ 4k. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/35.html

That review has all the titles favouriting Nvidia cards. It's combination of old titles with nvidia sponsored titles and is purposely avoiding and new games and we all know what card perform best in those.
Wonder how much nvidia is paying you to advocate on their behalf because if they don't there is clearly something wrong with you

Associate
No-one is denying that nVidia have better RT capabilities, but it looks like there's a tipping point where a heavy/clumsy imprementation that intentional or not is beyond AMD's current capabilities.

RT, the new tessalation it seems....

NV sponsored games = Heavy RT.
Everything else = A sensible amount.

Control is not sponsored by Nvidia. Remedy was working on a RT based engine before the launch of the 2080. They teamed up with Nvidia because they had the only GPU that could run their new engine. AMD's own slides show they think there should only be RT lighting on hardware. AMD think we will use the cloud for games like control. NVidia want to make RT the go to feature for GPU sales. They want to deliver all the RT effects they can. AMD's got it wrong, thats why they have RT performance like a 2080 ti and why they are working a such a late stage on a DLSS feature. The reason NVidia have tensor cores and AMD dont. Nvidia won, we want RT and all its effects. Why games like Cyberpunk 2077 have such features. It looks far better that rasterization base graphics.

The problem is it does not matter too much if Ampere is underperforming at lower resolutions. That could be the case but you still get insane fps. Sure the 6800xt is a little better but playing a game on 1440p ultra at 100 fps instead of 103 fps, is still fine.
But it can matter a lot in 4k if the frame rates are close to 60. Some think the Ampere is overperforming at 4k, some think that the 6800xt is underperforming. But anyone can notice the 6800xt drops more fps from 1440 to 4k than the 3080.

I hope it is a driver problem and in fact it seems that the latest driver boosted the performance in 1440p and 4k so the 6800xt could do a little better now in 4k. Probably they will do even better with future drivers. I can see the 6800xt doing pretty well in 4k Ultra and even beating the 3090 in AC Valhalla.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L_dAynbKbo
But there are rumors that there is also a problem with the memory bandwidth. Once the Vram frequency goes over 2000Mhz, you won`t see the same linear progression that you can see at lower frequencies and after 2100Mhz, you can even see a regression in performance.

https://twitter.com/CapFrameX/status/1330495454233174017

Let`s hope that can be fixed.

BTW the performance in CoD Cold War is also pretty bad on Nvidia cards. Sure you get more FPS but the frames are all over the place even on the 3090. Which shows once again that this generation of video cards in not prepared for 4k Ultra with RT.

????? https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/35.html

1080p 3080 6% ahead

1440p 3080 4% ahead

4k 3080 6% ahead

The RX 6800 XT is just 6% behind the RTX 3080 and 25% faster than the RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 3070.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Lets see future titles now they have AMD in mind as well being ported from the consoles looking at the new gen ports it looks promising for AMD can only see it improving over time on AMD

Interesting you linked that all the compersions I've watched on YouTube have the AMD ahead overall at 1440p

Soldato
But there are rumors that there is also a problem with the memory bandwidth. Once the Vram frequency goes over 2000Mhz, you won`t see the same linear progression that you can see at lower frequencies and after 2100Mhz, you can even see a regression in performance.

https://twitter.com/CapFrameX/status/1330495454233174017

This is a GDDR6 issue/feature. Above a certain speed it begins to perform erro corrections.

That maybe true if AMD had seperated RT from compute. Since they didn't they will have to design RT cores from the ground up and a scheduler. .

From my understanding they do have dedicated silicon to run RT, it is just intergrated into the compute unit so it can not run independently of the shader(?) units.

They may also want to include some AI cores to compete with Nvidia. RNDA3 will require a huge redesign with all the performance issues that causes while keeping RDNA2 code paths running well.

Nvidia already have Tensor, RT and cuda all working in parallel and so increasing performance is a little easier. I can see Nvidia dominating with Hopper.
Stop exaggerating to promote fear mongering

Associate
That review has all the titles favouriting Nvidia cards. It's combination of old titles with nvidia sponsored titles and is purposely avoiding and new games and we all know what card perform best in those.
Wonder how much nvidia is paying you to advocate on their behalf because if they don't there is clearly something wrong with you

The 3080 is faster. You can find my 1440p post were I did the same. Latest 1440p AMD Navi2/RDNA2 event thread

Last edited:
Soldato
Hardware unboxed had the 6800xt ahead at 1080p and 1440p over 18 titles , tech one seems to have more older titles

AMD has a clear advantage here because they provide the hardware for the new gaming consoles, This means that game developers will optimize their games for this architecture

I'm interested how this plans out kooky forward with new gen games ported over

Associate
This is a GDDR6 issue/feature. Above a certain speed it begins to perform erro corrections.

From my understanding they do have dedicated silicon to run RT, it is just intergrated into the compute unit so it can not run independently of the shader(?) units.

Kind of .... RDAN2 does have dedicated silicon built into the compute unit (CU) but it can run "4 texture or ray ops/clk" and thats per CU (see the Xbox One Series X architecture deep dive), so to run ray tracing operation you sacrifice texture performance. That is good for power usage (less wasted silicon) but RT performance will suffer.

I would guess that limitation of one of the "low hanging fruit" issues that AMD will solve in RDNA3

Associate
We want RT!
We also want DLSS because our expensive video cards are not able to run 4k with RT. And we want to brag about playing with RT at 4k ultra. :)

Associate
I was more looking at games I'm interested in and the 6800xt performs better and watched comparisons on YouTube , that techpowerup site it's 4 and 5 Frames in it average also I'm interested in the AIB cards red devil seems to clock higher

I wanna see more games that are ported from the new gen consoles not older titles

1080 fps 3080 average lead 6fps

1440p fps 3080 average lead 5fps

Games

More 1440p benchmarks GeForce RTX 3080 FE vs 6800xt

Dirt 5

Watch Dogs Legion

Horizon Zero Dawn

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Red Dead Redemption 2

Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Gears 5

Control

Wolfenstein Youngblood

The Division 2

Metro Exodus

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

At 4k all but Dirt 5 the 3080 is ahead of the 6800xt.

Source https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/11/18/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-radeon-rx-6800-review/3/

Associate
Hardware unboxed had the 6800xt ahead at 1080p and 1440p over 18 titles , tech one seems to have more older titles

AMD has a clear advantage here because they provide the hardware for the new gaming consoles, This means that game developers will optimize their games for this architecture

I'm interested how this plans out kooky forward with new gen games ported over

It’s not that simple for developers. On PC, NVIDIA has the majority market share by far. They would need to optimise for Ampere or risk alienating the vast majority of the PC customer base. In any case, NVIDIA isn’t stupid enough to let something like this happen. They may resort to outright paying off devs to put RTX and DLSS in every major blockbuster title.

Besides the only evidence for this is Godfall which is clearly AMD sponsored as it has locked out RTX for NVIDIA users for no reason (when it can be enabled through a simple ini tweak lol) and Valhalla. Valhalla is a Ubisoft game where for some weird reason 2080 Ti is barely faster than 2080 while 5700XT beats 2080 Ti. Dirt has historically performed better on AMD hardware. Nothing new.

Associate
I don`t agree that the 3080 is faster at 4k. I am sure there is somewhere a review where 6800xt is faster. I`ll go check and then spam the forums, everytime someone tells us that 3080 is faster at 4k. :)

Soldato
It’s not that simple for developers. On PC, NVIDIA has the majority market share by far. They would need to optimise for Ampere or risk alienating the vast majority of the PC customer base. In any case, NVIDIA isn’t stupid enough to let something like this happen. They may resort to outright paying off devs to put RTX and DLSS in every major blockbuster title.

Besides the only evidence for this is Godfall which is clearly AMD sponsored as it has locked out RTX for NVIDIA users for no reason (when it can be enabled through a simple ini tweak lol) and Valhalla. Valhalla is a Ubisoft game where for some weird reason 2080 Ti is barely faster than 2080 while 5700XT beats 2080 Ti. Dirt has historically performed better on AMD hardware. Nothing new.

Time will tell was reading about the consoles and game developers tweaking and getting more performance from infinity cache once they get more used to it

Associate
There are issues with some of the reviews, take 3dguru and Time Spy.

The score is second to the 3090 and 1000 points ahead of the 3080.

The graphic score shows the 3080 ahead of the 6800xt.

This can only mean that the overall sorce for the 6800xt can only come from a system with a far faster cpu than the RTX 3080 system. Faster CPU means more fps in games which would make the 6800xt looks faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom