• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Its actually stressful trying to make the right choices with gfx cards this year, i have a preorder for a none OC 3080 but with gibbo confirming manufacturers are OC prioritizing, it makes me want to try my luck with AMD but fears are, is there stock, if preorder how far down the queue will i be compared to 3080 position, if no stock how fast will it come in, all too much for my tiny brain
I think this might be the saddest thing I've ever read.

Soldato
AMD needs to be cheaper than nvidia to sell in good numbers. Need to have a bit more vram too and then I may be tempted.

Strange that you would be OK buying a 3900X CPU but think AMD have to be cheaper and offer more features for you to consider their GPUs. It just looks like a massive contradiction in logic to make such arbitrary red lines that AMD are under no obligation to meet.

Associate
AMD have clearly forced Nvidias hand which is exactly what was needed. Sure Turing has been out for two years. But does anyone really think that they would give people 2080ti perf for under £500 if they could still get away with charging £900+ for 2080ti still?

Still wouldn't recommend buying a new card atm though. Need to wait for the full stack to unfold & prices to settle.

Associate
AMD needs to be cheaper than nvidia to sell in good numbers. Need to have a bit more vram too and then I may be tempted.

Surely that's only the case if you can go and buy the nvidia competitor and use it that day. At the moment you may as well sell at the price Nvidia wish to charge as you current options will be the AMD card now or Nvidia in late 2022 when stores actually have some stock. Only when Nvidia stock is sat on the shelf for next day delivery will AMD need to reduce the price.

Soldato
Strange that you would be OK buying a 3900X CPU but think AMD have to be cheaper and offer more features for you to consider their GPUs. It just looks like a massive contradiction in logic to make such arbitrary red lines than AMD are under no obligation to meet.

It's a thing a lot of people who prefer Nvidia have been saying for a while. I don't see why they think AMD have to offer the same(or more) for less to be viable but a lot seem to think they need to. I will buy whichever offers the best performance at a reasonable price point.

Associate
Surely that's only the case if you can go and buy the nvidia competitor and use it that day. At the moment you may as well sell at the price Nvidia wish to charge as you current options will be the AMD card now or Nvidia in late 2022 when stores actually have some stock. Only when Nvidia stock is sat on the shelf for next day delivery will AMD need to reduce the price.

I am seeing filtering of more stock coming in from nvidia. 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming on order baby for £700 quid

So they are out there, you just need to look.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Strange that you would be OK buying a 3900X CPU but think AMD have to be cheaper and offer more features for you to consider their GPUs. It just looks like a massive contradiction in logic to make such arbitrary red lines that AMD are under no obligation to meet.

Your right to point this out. Its a common thing and doesn't line up with logic. Mindshare and bygone tales from the past where people have embedded nvidia > AMD has to be explained (so they realise its false) but it takes years.

Associate
It'll be pretty impressive if they can deliver sufficient volume given that they're doing CPUs and GPUs for millions of consoles, new CPU launch and new GPU launch - they don't seem to be rushing things like NVIDIA (thankfully).

Caporegime
You know I'll be happy if they say "we're making them as fast as we can, but due to the expected demand, it will be difficult to supply these to all, however we'll be supplying them as much as possible"

because lets face it, unless they've got a few hundred thousands locked up in a warehouse somewhere that nobody knows about, there are gonna be stock problems :p - if they are honest and come out with the above, then yeah you'll get the haters going "oh amd are useless" but at least theyre being honest and setting correct expectations to be honest.

Soldato
You know I'll be happy if they say "we're making them as fast as we can, but due to the expected demand, it will be difficult to supply these to all, however we'll be supplying them as much as possible"

because lets face it, unless they've got a few hundred thousands locked up in a warehouse somewhere that nobody knows about, there are gonna be stock problems :p - if they are honest and come out with the above, then yeah you'll get the haters going "oh amd are useless" but at least theyre being honest and setting correct expectations to be honest.

+1 Pretty much all new launches of gpu's sell out. Let's just hope when they do sell out plenty of people got one and more stock is coming in shortly after. The Ampere launch is pretty much as close to a paper launch as you can get with the numbers of cards getting into user hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom