• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
6800XT ray tracing demo test = 471fps
RTX3080 same test = 630fps

https://twitter.com/ghost_motley/status/1321538287446695939
Ignore it. That demo is coded in a way that takes advantage of Nvidia hardware approach. Which uses concurrency with preemption.

AMD's approach is parallel. Meaning they are more efficient if it's all done at one time.

The creator of the demo would need to create an .exe for Radeon.

Soldato
I suspect that while Nvidia will bench faster on RTX, AMD will be "good enough". It will be like the tessellation issues where Nvidia claimed a win by massively over tessellating everything to the point where not only AMD cards, but also all other Nvidia cards (except the very top end) couldn't run it, and in the end AMD fixed that with their own driver limiter.

Caporegime
I suspect that while Nvidia will bench faster on RTX, AMD will be "good enough". It will be like the tessellation issues where Nvidia claimed a win by massively over tessellating everything to the point where not only AMD cards, but also all other Nvidia cards (except the very top end) couldn't run it, and in the end AMD fixed that with their own driver limiter.

Ahh crysis 2 and it's stone barriers with thousands of polygons. :D

Soldato
The way I look at it.

Lower power = win for AMD (and me).
Higher performance will probably be for Nvidia initially, but I can see this shifting.
Better support on proxmox etc. AMD win.

I am not keen on buying a card that requires its own nuclear power plant to run regardless of how fast it may be, the 3080 I was considering, but the stock situation has gave me time to think, and I am uncomfortable with how much power it needs. So from a hardware perspective, I am leaning to a 6800Xt at the moment, however the question will then be how good are AMD drivers? A unknown to me as its been an eternity since I last used an AMD gpu.

Associate
Ignore it. That demo is coded in a way that takes advantage of Nvidia hardware approach. Which uses concurrency with preemption.

AMD's approach is parallel. Meaning they are more efficient if it's all done at one time.

I'll give you one better. I run the same demo on my 2070S and got wild results just by moving other windows around, or for example clicking the window and making it active (144FPS) VS clicking on empty desktop to make it inactive (342FPS) - the latter gave me considerably higher FPS for no reason at all! In other words, that benchmark gives horribly inaccurate results and I wouldn't use it for any sensible comparison at all.

Soldato

that demo is a Microsoft DXR ark benchmark, I'm pretty sure Microsoft did not design direct x12 ultimate to favour Nvidia when it would benefit their own Xbox to favour AMD

Associate
I said at Ampere launch the gimped 10GB and 8GB memory on those super premium graphics cards is going to seem inadequate as soon as RDNA2 launches and we get word of Nvidia working to fix things with 20GB Ti's etc.

No one should be happy with 8GB on a $500 minimum card. It's not about 'it will be fine', it's about what should be expected. You won't get through the next few years of next gen gaming with 8GB at the highest settings let me tell you.

Soldato
If I wouldn’t of got my 3080 for £650 before prices went up and I wasn’t so low in the queue on ocuk I’d of probably been cancelling and ordering the 6800xt

looks a beast of a card, if you watch Linus most recent video though I’d be a tad skeptical of the performance comparison chart as it shows the + rage and + smart access memory both in play the latter benefiting only from when you get one of the new amd cpus too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom