• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So, I guess pairing AMDs bits is going to be less important if what I get form this is right... https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amd-smart-access-memory-nvidia-version/

The irony of Nvidia being the ones to "open up" a feature is beautiful lol.

I wonder if they are doing anything more than just resizing the BAR with smart access memory. If it is indeed all they are doing, I hope this forces AMD to stop being weasels about it and open up the SAM feature to at least older Zen CPUs if not intel as well, otherwise they are just artificially gimping their GPUs against the competition rather than offering a performance boost as they planned.

That would be great news, as it would let me hold off a move to 5XXX cpu a bit longer

Soldato
So, I guess pairing AMDs bits is going to be less important if what I get form this is right... https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amd-smart-access-memory-nvidia-version/

No, the article finally, at the bottom, starts reaching the same conclusions we were making in this forum when SAM was announced.

Speaking with Nvidia, however, it wants to widen its own version out to Intel hardware, and specifically to PCIe 3.0 systems too. It has the feature working in the labs right now, but Nvidia hasn't given us a final date for when it's going live. Though I'd be surprised to see the RTX 3080 getting support for the feature before the start of 2021.

What that's going to look like, as with AMD's own Smart Access Memory, is going to be a compatible version of Nvidia's graphics driver, but it's also going to need a compatible BIOS update for whichever motherboard you're running. As such Nvidia is going to have to be working with both AMD and Intel to get this going; chatting up Intel surely won't be an issue, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall as Nvidia talks to AMD about it.

It's come to the same conclusion that Nvidia will need to work with competitors to get a version running

AMD needs no ones permission to get its own cards working with its own cpus.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Haha. He is gonna lose his **** again and snap at you guys for tagging him. Lol.

I was responding directly to him but couldn't be bothered to quote him for some reason.

* Sinister Chortle * :D

It's come to the same conclusion that Nvidia will need to work with competitors to get a version running

AMD needs no ones permission to get its own cards working with its own cpus.

Precisely, see how nvidia like creeping to others... maybe they learn to stop being selfish with their toys! :p

Soldato
I guess AMD might do the sort of thing they've done in the past and sell a licence. Then they make money whether they are selling one of their own GPUs, or whether Nvidia are selling a GPU to go into an AMD system.

Associate

And right on cue Mr Predictable "i need to discredit AMD's GPU's as much as possible" Pops up with a sensationlist post with ZERO context again....

Direct from the article we have

Basemark is a new benchmark in the GPU scene and thus still not very popular among reviewers. The benchmark is simply too short, meaning that the sustained boost frequencies that are often seen in games are impossible to reproduce with the software. That being said, if reviewers really want to use synthetic benchmarks, it is certainly not Basemark.

Yet, everything that produces a score at the end of the benchmark, can be used for comparison. Today, a new entry has appeared featuring ‘Radeon RX 6900 Series’. No, this is the RX 6900XT, it is simply how Basemark reports the Navi 21 GPU family, for some reason. Detailed entry details reveal that the card tested is actually Radeon RX 6800.

The graphics card was tested with the latest 27.20.14501.1206 driver that supports Big Navi. The testing platform features Ryzen 9 3900X (12-core processors) with MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE motherboard. What you might not know is that this is one of the four confirmed motherboards to support Smart Access Memory technology at launch. Meaning, we are definitely looking at a result from a reviewer who might be testing said technology.

AMD Radeon RX 6800 scored 14635 points using the DirectX12 API (the software tests Vulkan, DX12, and OpenGL APIs using the same benchmark scene). This score is actually lower than GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, but still better than Geforce RTX 3070. Again, this is the 60CU variant of Big Navi, so the slower in the series.

I feel we should all go and find meaningless benchmarks that show Nvidia in a bad light and start spamming Nvidia threads with it...

Come on @Grim5 give it a rest now, your so transparent its laughable, you act like AMD drove to your house and took a poo in your cornflakes.

Caporegime
And right on cue Mr Predictable "i need to discredit AMD's GPU's as much as possible" Pops up with a sensationlist post with ZERO context again....

Basemark is a new benchmark in the GPU scene and thus still not very popular among reviewers. The benchmark is simply too short, meaning that the sustained boost frequencies that are often seen in games are impossible to reproduce with the software. That being said, if reviewers really want to use synthetic benchmarks, it is certainly not Basemark.

Yet, everything that produces a score at the end of the benchmark, can be used for comparison. Today, a new entry has appeared featuring ‘Radeon RX 6900 Series’. No, this is the RX 6900XT, it is simply how Basemark reports the Navi 21 GPU family, for some reason. Detailed entry details reveal that the card tested is actually Radeon RX 6800.

The graphics card was tested with the latest 27.20.14501.1206 driver that supports Big Navi. The testing platform features Ryzen 9 3900X (12-core processors) with MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE motherboard. What you might not know is that this is one of the four confirmed motherboards to support Smart Access Memory technology at launch. Meaning, we are definitely looking at a result from a reviewer who might be testing said technology.

AMD Radeon RX 6800 scored 14635 points using the DirectX12 API (the software tests Vulkan, DX12, and OpenGL APIs using the same benchmark scene). This score is actually lower than GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, but still better than Geforce RTX 3070. Again, this is the 60CU variant of Big Navi, so the slower in the series.

I feel we should all go and find meaningless benchmarks that show Nvidia in a bad light and start spamming Nvidia threads with it...

Come on @Grim5 give it a rest now, your so transparent its laughable, you act like AMD drove to your house and took a poo in your cornflakes.

Grim5: "All the gear and no idea". Just remember and repeat that mantra. :D

@Th0nt
@Th0nt

;)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Grim5: "All the gear and no idea". Just remember and repeat that mantra. :D

@Th0nt
@Th0nt

;)

Now there's no need to quote me twice as I will have a conniption (if I was like some on here) ;).

Grim is always at it, thats why I think nobody takes him seriously or has on ignore. If you are a neutral or even slight green biased you can see he is one of the agenda posters that have some beef with AMD with little explanation or cause.

Its strange as the other day he said he was going to get a 6900XT and sack of his 3090 as 'there was not many DLSS/RT games out anyway'. So there rests my case..

Permabanned

It's as meaningless as userbenchmark which I guess no normal person will ever use.

Associate
Are AMD going to be selling this direct? As they didn't with their cpu, only in america as far as I recall.

Doubt it.

Next week will only be the reference cards, no board partner cards, however, all board partners will receive reference cards to which they'll add their own branding a.k.a this is going to be an overly painful launch.

Associate
Sold my 5700XT this morning in preparation, ahh reference 290 how i have not missed you, if i didnt have EQ raids to do over the next few weeks id leave the gpu out of my system til i get a 6800XT

Soldato
If the 6800 is doing 2.5ghz at 60c why the heck did the series x console get limited to 1.8ghz, seems like they should have been able to get more out of the consoles

Because of logic that even I expect you should know the answer to this question.

Small design all on one chip needs special balance between heat and performance. They are so much factor that consoles need to put in place.

I full GPU is a single core that can be pushed much higher without having the bottleneck of other factors to put in place.

Honestly I am surprised you even asking this question?

OK why don't laptop GPUs run like desktop cards :rolleyes:

Associate
Because of logic that even I expect you should know the answer to this question.

Small design all on one chip needs special balance between heat and performance. They are so much factor that consoles need to put in place.

I full GPU is a single core that can be pushed much higher without having the bottleneck of other factors to put in place.

Honestly I am surprised you even asking this question?

OK why don't laptop GPUs run like desktop cards :rolleyes:
As someone else pointed out earlier he is a classic case of all the gear, no idea.

He is 100% the type of buyer people like Intel, Apple, Nvidia, Sony etc love... Believe all the marketing hype, buy the products.

Associate
Doubt it.
Next week will only be the reference cards, no board partner cards, however, all board partners will receive reference cards to which they'll add their own branding a.k.a this is going to be an overly painful launch.
I haven't purchase an AMD reference board before so apologies if this is a dumb question. From what you said it sounds like all reference boards are made by the same manufacturer so it doesn't matter which board partner you get one from, the only difference is likely to be the box and label?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom