• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah DLSS is great and even though it has some artifacting in some areas it does keep the image looking sharp.
People keep saying here “new consoles run games at 4K 60.!!” but really I don’t think there is one good looking game that runs at native 4k60 on them.
New Daemon Souls for example runs at 1440p and that upscaled to 4K doesn’t look anywhere as good as DLSS in quality mode.
:confused:
How have you drawn that conclusion?
Demon Souls doesn't support DLSS so you don't know how well DLSS would do in that game.

Caporegime
Sadly that is why dlss is needed too as monitors are dog **** for scaling i.e. anything but native res. looks absolutely terrible. TVs on the other hand, you can run basically any res. and it still looks very good and not much worse than native res. (within reason)

i.e. those photos I posted a bit back of my 55" lg oled with cyberpunk is the game running at 1920x1080, yet it still looks better on the whole than my 34" 1440 monitor for clarity, sharpness etc. Obviously being a glossy finish, considerably superior panel tech. with infinite contrast ratio and sitting 7+ feet from it helps a lot... But to achieve acceptable frame rates at 3440x1440, I had to set amds static fidelity res. thing to about 75/80% and it was just a blurry mess, definitely better than setting the monitor to a lower res. though.

Point is..... if monitors had better scalers in the first place, the likes of amds fidelity and nvidias dlss settings wouldn't be as cried out for as what they are now.

Second point.... stop buying into crap LCD monitors :p

Associate
Sadly that is why dlss is needed too as monitors are dog **** for scaling i.e. anything but native res. looks absolutely terrible. TVs on the other hand, you can run basically any res. and it still looks very good and not much worse than native res. (within reason)

i.e. those photos I posted a bit back of my 55" lg oled with cyberpunk is the game running at 1920x1080, yet it still looks better on the whole than my 34" 1440 monitor for clarity, sharpness etc. Obviously being a glossy finish, considerably superior panel tech. with infinite contrast ratio and sitting 7+ feet from it helps a lot... But to achieve acceptable frame rates at 3440x1440, I had to set amds static fidelity res. thing to about 75/80% and it was just a blurry mess, definitely better than setting the monitor to a lower res. though.

Point is..... if monitors had better scalers in the first place, the likes of amds fidelity and nvidias dlss settings wouldn't be as cried out for as what they are now.

Second point.... stop buying into crap LCD monitors :p

Monitor scaling is never going to be great, especially for detailed rendering in games (movies and TV series are much easier to upscale). AI scaling is the way to go and DLSS is only going to get better with time - 2.0 is already a massive improvement over the first iteration.

Permabanned
PMSL , so just ignore everything else that's been posted and stick to the cardboard cutout and pancake theory.

Wait, what? I'm saying lighting done according to physics is far more realistic than what we have put up with for decades.

What do you think I am ignoring? The Witcher 3? RDR2? Do they look realistic to you? They look great to me, but there is a level of cohesion missing in such games, that level being physics based lighting.

There is a reason Holywood doesn't dangle paper plates on string in front of the camera anymore ;)

Caporegime
Personally, I am a big proponent of DLSS 2.0 and sure, the first was garbage but this version is far superior and maybe because I am old but I can't see any difference between native and 1440P UW and would go as far as saying DLSS looks better. When AMD get their version out, hopefully it does as good a job, as gfx progression with realism aspects needs that frame boosting tech.

Associate
Wait, what? I'm saying lighting done according to physics is far more realistic than what we have put up with for decades.

What do you think I am ignoring? The Witcher 3? RDR2? Do they look realistic to you? They look great to me, but there is a level of cohesion missing in such games, that level being physics based lighting.

There is a reason Holywood doesn't dangle paper plates on string in front of the camera anymore ;)
If you look close enough cyberpunk literally has 2d cut outs dangling in game. Lighting, shadows and reflections were all done to an adequate standard in most games for the last 10 or so years.
Ray tracing in cyberpunk is not jaw dropping it simply comparable to what has been done before it but with a much bigger performance impact.
It's a step in the right direction but only a step.
You keep peddling the same crap in here for some reason as if everyone is missing out on how ray tracing in cyberpunk makes you think you are watching BBC one and brings your screen to life.

Soldato

Most likely due to costs and flexibility. Real world props have a place and at times can hold up better than CG when rewatched later on.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Permabanned
If you look close enough cyberpunk literally has 2d cut outs dangling in game. Lighting, shadows and reflections were all done to an adequate standard in most games for the last 10 or so years.
Ray tracing in cyberpunk is not jaw dropping it simply comparable to what has been done before it but with a much bigger performance impact.
It's a step in the right direction but only a step.
You keep peddling the same crap in here for some reason as if everyone is missing out on how ray tracing in cyberpunk makes you think you are watching BBC one and brings your screen to life.

I find the difference between physically realistic and 'adequate' to be a game changer. Comparable? What do you even mean by that? I can compare games I was playing on my ZX81 to games today, but that doens't mean I want to go back to 1981. Nor do I want to go back to playing games without RT. AMD, Apple, Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia, Sony and even Hollywood all seem to agree, but you carry on with your pitchfork waving :rolleyes:

Associate
Happy with my msrp purchase of a rtx 3070, although I did want the 6800/xt, but all this stuff about cp2077. Granted I've not played much of it yet, but what I have isn't anything special. Turning on RT does enhance something's in game, but to me it only seems to be because they haven't optimized/faked/polished the game. As someone else has said, it seems as if RT is to make it easier/quicker in the development

Associate
Absolutely the point I was making and could easily have brought up the older PhysX games. It's an old Nvidia marketing ploy and people arer still falling for it. There is no way the standard water in CP2077 is anything other than gimped compared to what could have been done. The question then becomes is it ineptitude or by design.

How anyone can look at CP2007 water with RT on/off then proclaim RT awesome is just perplexing to be fair. I think those people need to take a step back and look at the screenshots from older games to see actual comparisons.
What a brilliant exposition of all that is wrong with Nvidia, CDPR and CP2077. Nvidia's behaviour is cynical beyond compare and unfortunately as usual most people and especially the fanbois and shillbots lap it up like the Koolaid it is. Nvidia could easily use their power for good and to help move things in the right direction with the right moves but yet again for the umpteenth time they choose to abuse that power with their disingenuous manipulation of the market and their consumers.

Caporegime
Oek1m8vl.jpg

X6G0mqFl.jpg

G8kE70Dl.jpg

jgJui4Rl.jpg

EDIT: Video to show it in motion, starts at 13.10

Remember chaps, you need RTX/ray tracing if you want to see reflections like this, *looks at my AMD GPU*, oh wait..... :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
So when do you think we might be able to get hold of some of these purely theoretical 6800 series, anyhow?

I mean theorycraft is all very well, but right now these things don't exist as far as most of us can tell.

I think my March estimate was too optimistic. Going for July/August now :p AMD, do you think you could make some cards by then? Maybe?

Caporegime
So when do you think we might be able to get hold of some of these purely theoretical 6800 series, anyhow?

I mean theorycraft is all very well, but right now these things don't exist as far as most of us can tell.

I think my March estimate was too optimistic. Going for July/August now :p AMD, do you think you could make some cards by then? Maybe?
Thing is, if the gpus aren't going to come back into proper stock until then, people would be mad to buy when the 2021 gpus will be arriving not long after.

Absolutely mad!

Associate
I find the difference between physically realistic and 'adequate' to be a game changer. Comparable? What do you even mean by that? I can compare games I was playing on my ZX81 to games today, but that doens't mean I want to go back to 1981. Nor do I want to go back to playing games without RT. AMD, Apple, Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia, Sony and even Hollywood all seem to agree, but you carry on with your pitchfork waving :rolleyes:
What part of ray tracing is "physically realistic" in cyberpunk?

Soldato
What a brilliant exposition of all that is wrong with Nvidia, CDPR and CP2077. Nvidia's behaviour is cynical beyond compare and unfortunately as usual most people and especially the fanbois and shillbots lap it up like the Koolaid it is. Nvidia could easily use their power for good and to help move things in the right direction with the right moves but yet again for the umpteenth time they choose to abuse that power with their disingenuous manipulation of the market and their consumers.

SSR does have limitation of course but there is no reason that SSR cannot look as sharp as RT reflections except if a dev makes them look blurry on purpose.

Here's an example of how devs can change the reflection quality with blur effects in Blightbound and an explanation of how they calculate reflections..
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Joo...1/Screen_Space_Reflections_in_Blightbound.php

SSR%2B-%2BBlur.jpg

Needless to say, the SSR implementation in Cyberpunk is using excessive blur to make the Nvidia sponsored RT look better in comparisons.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thing is, if the gpus aren't going to come back into proper stock until then, people would be mad to buy when the 2021 gpus will be arriving not long after.

Absolutely mad!
People will just be glad to have something, anything, and the 2021 GPUs will be even more in demand! Not sure that AMD would see this as a bad thing. Keep demand high, stock low, prices high..

Soldato
Personally, I am a big proponent of DLSS 2.0 and sure, the first was garbage but this version is far superior and maybe because I am old but I can't see any difference between native and 1440P UW and would go as far as saying DLSS looks better. When AMD get their version out, hopefully it does as good a job, as gfx progression with realism aspects needs that frame boosting tech.

CAn't understand what happened to enthusiasts that were enthusiastic about all PC tech, Red or Green, helping with settings on older tech. Hell, even an LCD hater just up the page as they like to feel superior with an OLED. STOP buying LCD rubbish - Whut?

This forum used to be a goldmine of help and knowledge - now it's a minefield of one-upmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom