The "Top Gear", Season 24/25/26 thread

Just a heads up for anyone interested in a more in depth discussion about the lead up to Flintoff's crash. Chris Harris has just been on the Joe Rogan podcast (I'm aware he's very marmite) and goes into quite a lot of detail about the failings of BBC health and safety leading up to the accident, and the investigation afterwards.

It's also a very good chat about cars in general!
Saw a clip where he talks about the accident. I didn't realise it was such a bad crash where he could have easily died.

Top Gear has always had the stupid stunts but with Freddie you did get the impression that he was perhaps taking on more than he could handle. But its on the BBC to assess that and manage the risk.

Saw him on some BBC 1 show about Cricket and India and his face must have been smashed in badly. After many surgeries he still looks mild disfigured. He is brave enough to get back on the tube but they weren't cutting to many scenes of him talking.

Paddy and Flintoff should have never been on that show in the first place, lol...
There was nothing wrong with them being on the show the producers simply needed to risk asses appropriately for their driving abilities. Flintoff should clearly have been wearing a full face helmet but wasn’t because the end result is always better for TV with an open one until you crash the car and grind your face off…

There was nothing wrong with them being on the show the producers simply needed to risk asses appropriately for their driving abilities. Flintoff should clearly have been wearing a full face helmet but wasn’t because the end result is always better for TV with an open one until you crash the car and grind your face off…
I meant in general, they never striked me as car guys... I hope 'Chris Harris on Cars' channel gets revived, there were some talks on Joe Rogan's recent podcast with Chris, that series was so good.
https://www.youtube.com/@ChrisHarrisonCars

Just a heads up for anyone interested in a more in depth discussion about the lead up to Flintoff's crash. Chris Harris has just been on the Joe Rogan podcast (I'm aware he's very marmite) and goes into quite a lot of detail about the failings of BBC health and safety leading up to the accident, and the investigation afterwards.

It's also a very good chat about cars in general!

Not really a fan of rogan, but I enjoyed this episode. Chris by his own admission hasn't talked much about what happened after the accident and i felt so sad hearing him talk about how he was driven to drink his entire whiskey collection in a month such was the dark place he was in. Poor guy, no wonder he felt compelled to talk about publicly how much they **** on him after that despite having warned them.

Last edited:
Two clowns, one reasonably good at cricket the other I wouldn't pass the time of day for, and a proper driver/reviewer. I mean what possibly could go wrong?

As chris harris said in the JRE podcast, somebody was going to die. As to the point about the BBC, it sounds like specifically the producers of top gear were the problem. Lots of "just go and do this" and "you'll be fine" and "we've paid for the track time, we need to use it" going on. all from producers who had sod all knowledge about cars and risks and just wanted a spectacle.

He made an interesting point as well - that that riskiest stuff was the small stuff. Big stunts like the one with the car bungie jumping:

Had proper external companies brought in to do it all properly and by the book and take the proper time. The stuff that was dangerous was just asking the presenters to go and do stuff in a rush without any real understanding of what they were asking.

I watched maybe 5 minutes of his cricket series(a couple more than symonds), a few stilted conversations with youngsters and was just more reality tv/travelogue rather than being particularly benevolent,
but OK the BBC must know it's audience, not an endearing personality in my books, it's not cricket - he needs to stick to that -
future Jonathen Agnew commentator ?

jeez - accidental spot, there's real motoring program on the tv ! quest+1
fitth(e:fifth) gear - plato in wales - urus v8 green , sterato, 408 - presented by people who can drive.

Last edited:
... Plato drove a stelvio quad vs kia ev6 gt on a race track, classics Vick clio williams vs fiesta st - what a car show should be, BBC need to buy the programme series -

... Plato drove a stelvio quad vs kia ev6 gt on a race track, classics Vick clio williams vs fiesta st - what a car show should be, BBC need to buy the programme series -
Yet the whole world knows of the car program Top Gear, I'm fairly certain the same can't be said for Fifth Gear. Companies want what they can sell.

Back
Top Bottom