The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Caporegime
Safe to say Steve Huff likes the new em1 mark 2 a lot along with the new lenses.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/tag/olympus/

The new 12-100 lens is stunning. A MUST own lens. This is the lens you may not think you want, but you really do. This lens, when attached to the new E-M1 II has 5 Axis that gives us a 6.5 stop advantage. The IQ of this lens is perfection from wide open to stopped down and from 12mm to 100. It’s small for what it is, but a full PRO Olympus lens with weather sealing and all. It’s weather SEALED not splash proof like most. Beautiful.
The new 25 1.2 is also a STUNNER!!! Forget what you think you know as this lens is up there with ANY lens from Leica in regards to contrast, sharpness, rendering and Bokeh. And no, it is NOT too big.
The new E-M1 II may be…may be…the best camera I have ever reviewed as a total package. But I will get into all of that in my full review as more testing is required and I am shooting all week with it.

Soldato
Just discovering further delights of m4/3.
Going to New York tomorrow, 2 days in the city followed by 3 days in the wilds in NY State.
I've packed 2 bodies and 6 lenses in my ThinkTank Airport bag and still have room for accessories. Compared to what I've taken to the US in the past it's as light as a feather.

Caporegime
Just seen a website with a "leaked" US price of the Olympus ME1 Mark II of $2242.94

Thats £1831 in sterling. Not sure if that is then plus VAT as well?

If it is, I don't care how good it is, its not worth £2,200.

I may like the size of the m4/3 system but at £2,200 for a body I would rather jump ship to a bigger sensor and go Fuji or even Sony. You can get a A7II for that money now.

Soldato
Just seen a website with a "leaked" US price of the Olympus ME1 Mark II of $2242.94

Thats £1831 in sterling. Not sure if that is then plus VAT as well?

If it is, I don't care how good it is, its not worth £2,200.

I may like the size of the m4/3 system but at £2,200 for a body I would rather jump ship to a bigger sensor and go Fuji or even Sony. You can get a A7II for that money now.

That's a crazy amount of money, even for a flagship M43 camera. I'd be surprised if the GH5 gets pitched at much more than the GH4's launch price of $1500.

Doubly so considering that the G80/85 is on sale for at £699 (£100 more than G7 body only) despite being a significant upgrade over the G7.

Caporegime
Just seen this morning now the embargo has been lifted the UK price is £1849 :(

I have also seen that you can now buy the Mark 1 with the 12-40 f2.8 pro and 40-150 f2.8 pro lenses for the same money. Madness.

Soldato
Just seen this morning now the embargo has been lifted the UK price is £1849 :(

I have also seen that you can now buy the Mark 1 with the 12-40 f2.8 pro and 40-150 f2.8 pro lenses for the same money. Madness.

It's going to have to be an epic performer for that money as I think the GH5 is rumoured to be coming in at a very similar launch price to the GH4.

Even the Olympus faithful over on DPR are having a conniption fit over the EM-1 MK2 price...

Caporegime
Yeah based on exchange rate and mark one launch it should have been $1722 so about £1,450 which would be spot on competition to the Fuji xt-2 being slightly more expensive and with the mark 1 now been £700 to £900, there is a big enough jump between the two models.

An extra £400 or 27% uplift on top is a lot even for their flagship camera especially when people are already looking at an extra £250 because of the exchange rate.

With the price cuts on the Mark 1 their biggest issue for new comers is that for similar money you can buy the mark 1 with two pro lenses or buy the Fuji with one stunning lens.

I personally think the mark 2 IS epic but not that epic that it can be any money. You cant get away from the fact that it will always be a MFT sensor.

Id Olympus had made it a APS-C camera with all these features then its price might have been justified.

I have just had a quick check and for the money they want just for the body I bought a 12-40 pro, 40-150 pro, 45mm f1.8 and 25mm f1.8 lenses,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
Associate
Decided to be experimental in my approach to expanding on my MFT lenses.

I got a Mitakon Lens Turbo II Nikon G - MFT and a Nikkor 80-200 F4 AIS. It creates nice images, but the vignetting is terrible, even when stopped down to f5.6 or f8.

Now, I'm enjoying having what is effectively a 60-140mm f2.8 lens, particularly as I got it all for under £200, but there has to be something I can do to minimise this vignetting.

Is there a simple software solution that doesn't ruin the rest of the photo?

Could it simply be the small sensor on my ageing Olympus E-PL1?

I've read the issue gets worse the wider the lens, so presumably it would be a bad idea getting a 50mm f1.8 lens?

Thanks in advance!

Caporegime
Yeah based on exchange rate and mark one launch it should have been $1722 so about £1,450 which would be spot on competition to the Fuji xt-2 being slightly more expensive and with the mark 1 now been £700 to £900, there is a big enough jump between the two models.

An extra £400 or 27% uplift on top is a lot even for their flagship camera especially when people are already looking at an extra £250 because of the exchange rate.

With the price cuts on the Mark 1 their biggest issue for new comers is that for similar money you can buy the mark 1 with two pro lenses or buy the Fuji with one stunning lens.

I personally think the mark 2 IS epic but not that epic that it can be any money. You cant get away from the fact that it will always be a MFT sensor.

Id Olympus had made it a APS-C camera with all these features then its price might have been justified.

I have just had a quick check and for the money they want just for the body I bought a 12-40 pro, 40-150 pro, 45mm f1.8 and 25mm f1.8 lenses,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Agree - a few reports of marginal DR improvements over the old 16MP sensor. That's just not good enough at almost 2k.

Caporegime
That's great in isolation however m43 isn't near competing with the best APS-C sensors.

Hell my GX8 can't even compete with my old NX300.

Olympus promised a stop better DR with the EM 1-2 but I don't think that's reality.

Caporegime
Yeah maybe half a stop. Even the ISO 100 is a "fake" ISO 100 with a reduced dynamic range.

The main boosts seem to be the AF and speed which is indeed impressive and good for wildlife and sports people but thats not worth 50% more than the old mark 1 or with the recent price drops, 100% more unless you really, really need that speed.

Caporegime
You can't exposure bracket and do hi-res though AFAIK which is a shame.

Not that big of a deal though as you are going to be taking static photos and it takes about 50s in total from memory?

You just adjust the exposure dial back and forward one click and take two more hi res pics?

Having the camera automatically do three hi res pics is no big loss IMO.

Then you can always merge them later in LR to a HDR super hi res pic.

Associate
Bit of info if anyone is interested in the Olympus 7 - 14 mm M.ZUIKO Digital ED 1:2.8 PRO

Amazon have slashed the price to £780 AND include a £75 credit to your Amazon account once delivered.

Back
Top Bottom