The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Caporegime
Gutted. America, Singapore, Australian and Germany all have stock of the Olympus OMD Em1 MArk ii as of today so i rang up Wex to see when they were getting their pre-orders in and got told not until January :(

Soldato
Gutted. America, Singapore, Australian and Germany all have stock of the Olympus OMD Em1 MArk ii as of today so i rang up Wex to see when they were getting their pre-orders in and got told not until January :(

Frustrating for you.
As soon as it arrives in the UK I'm putting my 300 F4 Pro up for sale, I was hoping before Christmas.

Caporegime
strange i have had confirmation that mine will be here on wednesday

Seems like it's just Wex. Park cameras and LCE have all had confirmation that they are on there way and will be dispatched to customers on Monday/Tuesday. Got friends who have has their confirmation emails from them. Hell even a small independent camara shop in Glasgow is getting theirs on Monday.

I just got off the phone with Wex today again who say they are surprised other shops are getting theirs as Olympus are still telling them January at the earliest :( the guy even suggested that it might be because they ordered so many and Olympus are fulfilling all the smaller shop orders first! What *******

And I only went with Wex because park cameras messed me around on a previous camera order

Who did you buy from?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hmm, is there anything the GX80 does significantly better than my trusty E-M5 Mk1 to make it worth spending ~£100 switching? Sensors are near as damnit the same, not terribly fussed about 4K. Any killer features?

Associate
Hmm, is there anything the GX80 does significantly better than my trusty E-M5 Mk1 to make it worth spending ~£100 switching? Sensors are near as damnit the same, not terribly fussed about 4K. Any killer features?

yes no shutter shock a magnetic shutter mechanism, c-af dfd ,dual is ,frame rates, head phone jack and mic import ,better interface ,probably better dynamic range ,focuses at -4ev ,probably lots more but nothing extreme in mp or iso advatage probably slightly better iso 1/2 stop to 1 stop .
ergonomics will be better though and viewfinder

Soldato
OP
yes no shutter shock a magnetic shutter mechanism, c-af dfd ,dual is ,frame rates, head phone jack and mic import ,better interface ,probably better dynamic range ,focuses at -4ev ,probably lots more but nothing extreme in mp or iso advatage probably slightly better iso 1/2 stop to 1 stop .
ergonomics will be better though and viewfinder

Sadly I just spotted max bulb time of 120 seconds. Bit of a deal breaker for me, cancelled my order.

Caporegime
Question folks.

I am off on Safari in Kenya in June for 4 days. I don't own a telephoto as I've never ever needed one. I very very rarely shoot wildlife that has a requirement. Even then before I used a long prime!

But as this will be jeep based I will need some flexibility, so a telephoto will be best.

Any recommendations? I was thinking of buying 2nd hand then selling on again afterwards.

Caporegime
I'd probably look at the new Panasonic 100-300mm II that is out in Feb-March if you've got a Panasonic body. Should be cheaper then the 100-400 but with the updated focussing and stabilisation should be a solid lens in good light.

If you've got money to burn then there the Oly 300 prime or the PL 100-400.

Back
Top Bottom