The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
groen
I heard this new boot system prevents other operating systems from installing. That is a pretty low move.

I can't see that happening now, I copied this off the Dell forums,

When Gates was told that he would be fined 1 Million dollars a day aka $365 million dollars a year for violating an

anti trust agreement He had his lawyers confirm this and then continued to violate the agreement paying $1million dollars a day as the cost of doing business. Until they are fined 1 Billion dollars a day they will not pay attention to

the law or regulators.

In a strongly worded ruling Sept 1,2000 a federal judge ordered Microsoft to pay $1 million in damages to Bristol Technologies for unfair business practices against the small software maker.

U.S. District Judge Janet Hall called Microsoft's actions "wanton and reckless" and imposed what amounted to Connecticut's largest-ever award imposed under the state's Unfair Trade Practices Act. As she issued the order Thursday from her Bridgeport, Conn., court, Hall said the penalty might not be stiff enough to deter Microsoft from future anticompetitive behavior.

In early 2002, Microsoft proposed to settle the private lawsuits by donating $1 billion USD in money, software, services, and training, including Windows licenses and refurbished PCs, to about 12,500 underprivileged public schools. This was seen by some as a potential windfall for Microsoft, not only in educating schoolchildren on Microsoft solutions but also in collecting additional license fees if the schools ever wanted to upgrade.[citation needed] After protests from Apple Inc. which feared further loss of its educational market share, a federal judge rejected the proposed settlement.

European antitrust regulators on February 2, 2008 fined Microsoft $1.3 billion for failing to comply with a 2004 judgment, that the company had abused its market dominance. The new fine by the European Commission was the largest it has ever imposed on an individual company, and brings the total in fines imposed on Microsoft to about $US 2.5 billion, at current exchange rates.

I heard this new boot system prevents other operating systems from installing. That is a pretty low move.

Would it be too hard to check things you hear before going off and moaning about MS again?

The 'secure boot' system is a BIOS feature which can be enabled or disabled at will. All MS is doing is ensuring that Win8 conforms to the specification and can be used with secure boot. If you want to use another OS which doesn't support the feature, all you have to do is turn it off in the BIOS. Once more: secure boot is not a Windows or Microsoft feature.

Last edited:
Pretty impressed with it tbh. Whilst I've got it working in VMWare 8, it's much easier to evaluate it properly dual booting (boot from VHD), if you are running windows 7 already.

Would it be too hard to check things you hear before going off and moaning about MS again?

The 'secure boot' system is a BIOS feature which can be enabled or disabled at will. All MS is doing is ensuring that Win8 conforms to the specification and can be used with secure boot. If you want to use another OS which doesn't support the feature, all you have to do is turn it off in the BIOS. Once more: secure boot is not a Windows or Microsoft feature.

Right before Groen posted that i already said that secure boot is nothing to do with MS, and it can be disabled in the UEFI/BIOS :rolleyes: just do us all a favour and stop posting Groen.

As long as your oem does not hide the bios option ;)

Exactly. And that's why if it can ever be considered a "low move" then it would be one done by the OEM, not by Microsoft. Microsoft is merely "code signing" (effectively) their OS distribution so that the OEM's UEFI BIOS can detect it. There is nothing stopping other OSes "code signing" to make themselves compatible with this Secure Boot feature. But of course whether any OEM's in the world actually are interested in allowing a Linux distro to boot on their device is another matter.

It's not really too hard to accept or believe that OEMs producing consumer oriented Windows 8 tablets based on ARM are going to be pretty heavily locking them down to only boot the OS that they were designed for.

Otherwise when Windows 9 comes out people will just upgrade their tablet to that. And that defeats the whole purpose of this "new era" tablet PC market. Whereby the hardware is practically on a 1 to 3 year disposable cycle.

Last edited:
So, how many people have actually tried Windows 8 on a tablet? I get the impression the vast majority are running it in a VM or dual booting.

I'm using it on one. The touch is a bit little flaky sometimes as in it misses a couple of touches but I think that could be my screen , plus the virtual keyboard doesn't always show up in text boxes which it always did in win7 so I think it must be a bug with win8

I don't get it at all, is this preview for tablets only? I installed it in VMware but the whole main screen doesn't make any sense without a touch screen.

apatia77
I don't get it at all, is this preview for tablets only? I installed it in VMware but the whole main screen doesn't make any sense without a touch screen.

Your not on your own by thinking that. I don't think that it is mouse friendly, the Beta version will make or break win 8, by then we will know what features are going into what version, and whither or not the user can disable the main screen to show the desktop.

Last edited:

It will look like that on any device and that isn't going to change. If you want to find something in the new Start screen just start typing, you dont have to open a search box or anything.

Or when on the desktop, move the cursor down to the bottom left of the Start button (dont click it) and a menu will appear, then go to: Search > Apps. It will then list your installed programs. It's the closest to Win 7 and Vista's: Start > All programs, if thats what you want.

Last edited:
How long is that post? :o ... still reading it but nice to see them listening to feedback from the dev preview.

I like the new apps screen shown on that post, on large monitors like mine (2560x1600) you're going to get a ton of icons on screen, making it a LOT easier to find stuff compared to scrolling through the "All Programs" list in Vista/7 which only shows a pathetic 20 folders/icons no matter how high your res is. This is definitely an improvement as it shows more icons with screen resolution/size:

2577.png

...BTW for anyone who dont know, the Apps Screen is NOT the new metro Start Screen. To get to the Apps Screen do this on the desktop: move the cursor down to the bottom left of the Start button (dont click it) and a menu will appear, then go to: Search > Apps. (But in the latest Win 8 build it's one less click - you just click on Search).

Theres probably a keyboard shortcut too but not looked.

Last edited:
any news on beta release.

In metro why the hell do you need scroll bars. Why can't I click and drag just like a touch screen device, but with a mouse.

Someone made a good point on the blog about having ****loads of apps open and flicking between them would be a chore if you could only "left-thumb" and cycle through them all. They could do with a high-level view of open apps, perhaps something like OSX Expose view - although I suppose you could just go back to the Start screen and select it again but that wouldn't really work if you were trying to implement the split screen view. Bit of an odd one really.

There wont be a BETA until atleast early next year...

I agree about clicking and dragging, it's such an obvious thing to do and tried doing it right away and was surprised it didn't do anything :confused:

@theheyes: theres something like Exposé in Vista and 7 called Flip, just press the windows key + Tab. MS could simply have that implemented for Metro, but i think it would be better with it changed slightly so each app is stacked even more on top of each other like cards, not spread out as much, then that way you'd get more open apps on screen at once which helps for smaller screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom