The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that it's also running on 1024 GB memory suggest its a super computer probably got 30 disks in RAID 0 or something so that it can boot in a few seconds.

M.

Yeah its crazy!
8x20 core processors in one computer as well :P !
i guess the RAM is a little OTT for everyday use :D

I figure it uses an eight socket server mobo with 10 core Xeon processors, possiby these...

But they have hyperthreading so each core is seen as 2 cores, so 20 cores total each :)

£3500 for just one of them processors!

ARM are bringing out up to 128 core CPU's to compete in the server market and they might end up in desktops at some point... being as Win 8 supports ARM CPU's maybe one day places like overclockers will end up selling there CPU's... being as AMD's Bulldozer is such fail maybe ARM will be the new AMD one day (they're also based in Cambridge, England! :cool:).

I still hate the new Start screen. My objection is that the menu covers the whole screen and thus obscures everything on my desktop every time I use Start. What if I'm watching a video and just want to open a document or web browser? Or if I'm really concentrating on an open application but want to open another? The full-screen menu is going to break that concentration.

No amount of layout refinement will address this fundamental objection. The new menu makes sense on a tablet with a small screen, but is ridiculous and intrusive on a PC with a large monitor.

I still hate the new Start screen. My objection is that the menu covers the whole screen and thus obscures everything on my desktop every time I use Start. What if I'm watching a video and just want to open a document or web browser? Or if I'm really concentrating on an open application but want to open another? The full-screen menu is going to break that concentration.

No amount of layout refinement will address this fundamental objection. The new menu makes sense on a tablet with a small screen, but is ridiculous and intrusive on a PC with a large monitor.

See this, MS have already made changes since the dev preview.

It's better full screen though and makes sense - with the current Start Menu in Vista/7 you only get a pathetic 20 folders/shortcuts listed in the "All Programs" box, you have to constantly scroll and hunt through sub folders in this tiny box, it's a total mess. And this area dont scale or get larger no matter how big your monitor is. On my 30" monitor it just looks retarded, why dont it make use of all the pixels i have to show more things? With higher res screens coming and people having more stuff installed on there PC's these days it's only going to get worser.

But the Win 8 Start Screen actually makes use of higher screen res and scales accordingly, so the higher the res the more apps you get on screen...

7433.png

It would a lot quicker finding something in that^ than using the current Start Menu. It's one less click away now as well in the latest build.

What if I'm watching a video and just want to open a document or web browser?
Then you simply pin the browser shortcut to the task bar! The document icon and IE are already pinned to the task bar in Win 7/8 by default...

sshot48.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still going to disable it. MS's changes are just layout fixes and don't address my objection to the principle of a full-screen start menu.

I always search the start menu using the keyboard - it's not difficult to find something when you've entered a search! Under Windows 8 I can't search the start menu for a program without the full-screen abomination covering up all my programs and distracting me from what I'm doing.

Ok so did a fresh install on my laptop/tablet and also put my 96gb vertex 1 drive in there
It boots fast not including the 5 or 6 seconds that it takes me too type my password I can be browsing these forums in about 10 seconds!!!!!!

Everything works fine out of the box apart from the screen rotation but I haven't installed the drivers for that yet. The touch seems to work a lot better since I did a fresh install too.

I haven't and wont install on my main machine until the final version is out but using it on the laptop is fine

This has really made my 18 month old not powerful hybrid laptop/tablet come alive again

The fact that it's also running on 1024 GB memory suggest its a super computer probably got 30 disks in RAID 0 or something so that it can boot in a few seconds.

Nonsense. 30 disks in RAID 0 would never be used at enterprise level.

Also, have you actually ever watched a server boot? More like minutes instead of seconds.

Hell, some quad CPU HP G6 servers I've worked with, you can press the power button, go make a brew, put it on your desk, go back, and it's still booting.

As posted above, the logical disk is more than likely on a SAN connected via Fibre Channel.

Last edited:
Encountered a problem.
It took ages to boot up, minutes and when it did.

Got a constant error message

ESENT
No debugging software on machine, please install.

Even if I press cancel it reappears.
Seems to be something to do with windows messenger live, or at least on windows 7.

Any ideas?

Nonsense. 30 disks in RAID 0 would never be used at enterprise level.

Also, have you actually ever watched a server boot? More like minutes instead of seconds.

Hell, some quad CPU HP G6 servers I've worked with, you can press the power button, go make a brew, put it on your desk, go back, and it's still booting.

As posted above, the logical disk is more than likely on a SAN connected via Fibre Channel.

Actually for some Actuarial stuff they are used in RAID 0 due to them wanting every last ounce of performance - they understand that if one disk goes that's it and they're into a restore situation. It's a stupid situation to be in - I agree - but there are some bits of the business out there that want performance over reliability. Saying that once the models are completed they do move them to a resillient FC SAN.

M.

I have just installed the developer preview on my dell duo (hybrid laptop tablet with a touchscreen). Don't really know what I am doing yet, but it already feels a massive improvement over w7 for touch.

How do you close apps? I have been using task manager, but surely that is not necesary?

I have just installed the developer preview on my dell duo (hybrid laptop tablet with a touchscreen). Don't really know what I am doing yet, but it already feels a massive improvement over w7 for touch.

How do you close apps? I have been using task manager, but surely that is not necesary?
In the Metro UI you cant close apps, they're open all the time, but once the app is off screen then it wont use any resources or CPU cycles, it's kind of frozen.
The only problem is when you have loads of open apps then you can be there all day swiping through them all, so hopefully MS will have some kind of close option before the BETA next year.

Is the Win 8 beta good enough as a stand-in/stop-gap for a new PC so as to hold out until the real thing releases instead of buying Windows 7?

Nope because it's not even a BETA. It's hardly even an alpha version. It's a dev preview so devs can start making apps. Loads of stuff is missing from it and the rest isn't even near finished.

Seems the Win 8 BETA is out in late February! It's been confirmed in the video here where MS are showing off the new Win 8 app store, which will also be available at the same time.

With Windows 7, the BETA was in early January 2009, and the release candidate was released April 30th, then the final RTM version was released in July.

So if things stay the same here then Win 8 should be out around late August.

Nope because it's not even a BETA. It's hardly even an alpha version. It's a dev preview so devs can start making apps. Loads of stuff is missing from it and the rest isn't even near finished.

I disagree, it's been fine for home use. Bar this esent problem I got the other day and doesn't work with iPhone/iPad, but does work with several digital cameras and everything else I've tried. Runs all games and software I have tried.

I would say its certainly worth a try.

Last edited:
I disagree, it's been fine for home use. Bar this esent problem I got the other and doesn't work with iPhone/iPad, but does work with several digital cameras and everything else I've tried. Runs all games and software I have tried.

I would say its certainly worth a try.

Thanks Glaucus. Gaming, standard software + web is all I'll be using it for, for the next couple of months because not much critical work left over xmas. By then RC should be out. I have a few win7/vista/XP machines around I can use if it's an emergency. Thinking of a new build and rather not buy Win7 this late if I can help it.

Atleast 90% of games seem to work on Win 8 dev preview.
Some games i know that definitely dont work are:

MineCraft
Just Cause 2
Dynasty Warriors (Online)
Age of Empires (Online)
F.E.A.R. 3
Grand Theft Auto 4
Borderlands
Flight Simulator X

For online gaming it's worse though, because many things like Punkbuster dont support Win 8 yet. But if you dont play online you should be ok. Personally i'd only use it for web browsing or what it's intended for - testing Win 8 apps. Even though i've had no serious problems with the dev preview i definitely wouldn't use it for actual work (as with any OS in such an early state).

Last edited:
Minecraft works fine

Forgot about punk buster games, you'll get kicked on them.

If worse happens though you can just Buy windows7 and install it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom