The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The desktop UI and other parts of windows are not even loaded when using Metro.

Not true if you watch the video the chap slides metro away and reveals the normal desktop below. No doubt there will be the option to load either explorer/metro or both.

Man of Honour
What chance of it being available on USB driver 0%?
when can I get rid of my redundant DVD drives that break every other month. Go a collection of 5 and none read all CDs.
Everything I buy is now online anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now by the time this is released there will be 64 bit natvie flash so do you think MS should make IE10 64bit the default browser instead of the 32 bit version like in win7?

Associate
OP
Now by the time this is released there will be 64 bit natvie flash so do you think MS should make IE10 64bit the default browser instead of the 32 bit version like in win7?

I would think so, it's about time! I'd love to see MS just drop 32-Bit completely but ARM dont seem to have any 64-Bit CPU's yet and too many businesses rely on ancient 32-Bit software still.

64-Bit Flash for IE9 has been out for a while. Flash Player 11 will be out soon-ish, which i'm very interested in as it uses new API's to access DirectX and OpenGL. You can literally do console level graphics in the browser with it. Anything possible with DirectX or OpenGL (up to DirectX 9 level graphics) is now possible in Flash. Make a game once and it instantly runs on all major OS's which will obviously include Win8 tablets :) very cool... few people know that Flash is actually the biggest gaming platform by far with market share and users.

Random fact of the day: The Flash game 'Farmville' on Facebook is worth $12 billion (thats more than EA or Ubisoft are worth combined).

Associate
OP
New post on the Win 8 blog about Hyper-V virtualization coming to Win 8. Previously this was only available in Windows Server. So you can now run multiple OS's within Windows itself without having to put each OS on a separate partition/HDD and then have boot in to it. Instead each OS runs in a window like any other software would.

Last edited:
Soldato
New post on the Win 8 blog about Hyper-V virtualization coming to Win 8. Previously this was only available in Windows Server. So you can now run multiple OS's within Windows itself without having to put each OS on a separate partition/HDD and then have boot in to it. Instead each OS runs in a window like any other software would.

There's a follow up article on Ars about it: http://arstechnica.com/business/new...h-new-hardware-virtualization-requirement.ars

I'm actually quite excited about this as it goes some way towards addressing one of my needs - which has partial support when running virtualized clients on the server OS. Virtualisation of the GPU, and thus streaming DirectX over RDP.

Basically i'm hoping to have a setup similar to on-live, but with 2-3ms latency + 1080p lightly compressed video streamed to a light weight client device.

Soldato
There's a follow up article on Ars about it: http://arstechnica.com/business/new...h-new-hardware-virtualization-requirement.ars

I'm actually quite excited about this as it goes some way towards addressing one of my needs - which has partial support when running virtualized clients on the server OS. Virtualisation of the GPU, and thus streaming DirectX over RDP.

Basically i'm hoping to have a setup similar to on-live, but with 2-3ms latency + 1080p lightly compressed video streamed to a light weight client device.

Heh keep dreaming mate... I've been looking/dreaming of this for the past 3 years, first with Xen, then VMware - GPU Virtualisation or more accurately PCI-e passthrough via VT-d has only been implemented in a handful of test examples. Seems like they're just not interested in going mainstream.

Funny how we both have the same application for the tech ;) Another application for the passthrough is to use it for running a osx86 guest.

BTW All of this has nothing to do with hyper-v ;)

Soldato
It's to do with RemoteFX a Server tech built on top of Hyper-V, so actually, yes it does. I'm doubtful it will happen as it would be eating the Xboxes lunch - but there's some push for this with mobile / tablet clients I guess.

OK RemoteFX is not PCI-e passthrough ... happier ? :p

One thing is for sure though... we both want the same thing - probably will happen in a different form like onlive

Soldato
Apparently the system requirements will be the same as Windows 7, which needs 16GB disk space. Considering Android uses a fraction of that, it could push up prices. Then theres also the licensing (Android is free), which could again increase prices. It's hard to see how OEMs can sell Windows 8 tablets at competitive prices and still have a decent profit margin.

Not true if you watch the video the chap slides metro away and reveals the normal desktop below. No doubt there will be the option to load either explorer/metro or both.

It's not loaded at boot, but can be loaded on-demand if you want.

from what i understand on tablet you wont get normal windows but instead just the metro ui so this will decrease size and also cost, plus remember when windows is sol retail price is much higher then wholesale so say pcw buys win tablets they may only be paying £10 for the (supposedly better) os which may also come with discounts given deal microsoft might have with manufactures.

Caporegime
I don't think it will be the same version of w8 running on arm. I expect it will look the same and be able to run programs designed for w8, but won't be able to run legacy apps. I would definitely like to here more about arm w8.

http://microsoft-news.com/windows-8...ion-makes-it-infinitely-backwards-compatible/

May be related?

Essentially the OS may use virtualisation to run x86 programs on ARM chipsets?

EDIT: too slow..

I don't think "below" is the right word. I think it should be next to it. I'm guessing the UI will load depending on what you want rather than Metro being built over the existing UI. The current looking UI being there as more of a legacy system on tablets.

What chance of it being available on USB driver 0%?
when can I get rid of my redundant DVD drives that break every other month. Go a collection of 5 and none read all CDs.
Everything I buy is now online anyway.

I like that idea, although I'll probably be downloading Win8 anyway so no need for it. DVD drives are a pain in the ****, mine read disks fine but the drives have terrible trouble actually opening, like they are jamming, if they haven't been used in a while.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Apparently the system requirements will be the same as Windows 7, which needs 16GB disk space. Considering Android uses a fraction of that, it could push up prices. Then theres also the licensing (Android is free), which could again increase prices. It's hard to see how OEMs can sell Windows 8 tablets at competitive prices and still have a decent profit margin.

It's not loaded at boot, but can be loaded on-demand if you want.

TBH though I can see these tablets being marketed towards those that want a laptop replacement rather than a browsing device. While android manufacturers are trying for this (transformer etc) it just isn't the same. I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to blow a couple of hundred or so more for a full OS and a true laptop replacement.

Soldato
USB media would make absolute sense and I think native ISO support is a good indicator that MS are thinking beyond the optical disc so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

TBH though I can see these tablets being marketed towards those that want a laptop replacement rather than a browsing device. While android manufacturers are trying for this (transformer etc) it just isn't the same. I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to blow a couple of hundred or so more for a full OS and a true laptop replacement.

I think this is pretty much on the money. They bang on about "no compromise" on the blog and it wouldn't surprise me if the marketing revolves around "Windows/PC/tablet without compromise". The jury is still out for me as to whether Microsoft should have gone down the separate mobile OS road (like iOS) but I'm a bit more confident having seen what I have so far. Things like battery life I still need to be convinced on because I just can't see it coming anywhere close to the competition. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Caporegime
I agree RE battery life, I can't believe it will be similar, however the one shown last week (running win7) supposedly had a 6 or sho hour battery life so... And remember that wasn't on ARM. I am very intrigued at what the specs will need to be for the ARM tablets.

Man of Honour

MS want in on the Market, wouldn't be surprised if they work with nokia and have the is as free or next to nothing.

But I want one, so badly. As I've said before all the upsides of IOs and android with none of the downsides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom