The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The jury is still out for me as to whether Microsoft should have gone down the separate mobile OS road (like iOS) but I'm a bit more confident having seen what I have so far.

thinking about it i think it's a much better idea then going with 2 os one basic that doesn't do much, one not, as there is already a market for tablets that do not much, so it's not like they can come in and show a better way to do nothing. instead they'll have a market which only they can really be in unless ios ditch the basic tablet os as well.

seeing the way webOS deals with mutliple devices is somethig i'd also like to see in win8. for instance i really like how you can just put a palm phone on a touchpad and it'll info between the 2. would be cool to be able to work on a pc, then swipe the stuff you're working on onto a tablet to work on drive home and then when home be able to literally swipe it right back onto a pc

Last edited:
Soldato
Microsoft has made the right gamble.

History has shown that what was once the size of a desktop PC, or even a mainframe, eventually ends up as the size of a mobile device.

Apple made a bet, which was good at the time, that native code execution was the way forward for mobile devices. At the time, most phones used Java to run third party apps which was hideous. Unfortunately Apple's solution was somewhat of an overreaction and overkill of the problem.

Microsoft has struck the right balance. But they had the benefit of watching their rivals make obviously unsustainable choices.

The Apple iPad as it exists today is just a stop-gap. At some point in the future Apple will need to place a full OSX experience onto their tablet device like what Microsoft are doing. Otherwise they will very quickly find themselves losing the tablet market to their arch-nemesis.

Last edited:
Soldato
But I want one, so badly. As I've said before all the upsides of IOs and android with none of the downsides.

Same here, when my HTC Desire contract runs out next year I may very well get a Windows Phone 7 mobile and Windows 8 tablet :cool: Seems weird that only a couple of years ago I couln't do enough to get away from Windows (Vista), now I can't wait to go back :D

Edit: thats assuming it lives up to the hype, of course ;)

Soldato
I wonder if it will be MacOX Lion. As in pay about 20 to 30 quid and download and update. I just bought Windows 7 retail for 95 quid and would appreciate a download update and not have to pay 130 for a new retail DVD which is just an interface update.

Associate
OP
I wonder if it will be MacOX Lion. As in pay about 20 to 30 quid and download and update. I just bought Windows 7 retail for 95 quid and would appreciate a download update and not have to pay 130 for a new retail DVD which is just an interface update.

Comparing it to OSX updates isn't right. Pretty much all OSX updates are more like Microsofts 'Service Packs'. Theres way more changes in a new version of Windows, and with Win 8 theres more changes than probably any previous version of windows to date (which you would know if you actually bothered to read my post).

No way will it cost £20 - £30. But theres rumours going around that MS will have an option to buy a cheap very basic version, where you can later purchase other Windows features/addons separately if you ever need them.

Niiiiiice. Added to my post :cool: i was expecting this and it makes it even better for tablets. Win 8 is shaping up so well, i've never seen an OS look so good...

Associate
OP
the exact same thing was said before win7 was out. i remember thinking wow boot instantly will be amazing, ended up with sleep mode and i'm guessing that's what they just booted from.

As you can clearly see in the vid the laptops battery is removed. Sleep mode requires constant power so this isn't sleep mode. This is a completely cold boot. Similar to Hibernation mode but instead the users settings and open software are not saved to disk. With this the user account is closed and all drivers are re-initialized, effectively making it the same as a cold boot. This really is as good as it sounds this time! Details here.

Soldato
As you can clearly see in the vid the laptops battery is removed. Sleep mode requires constant power so this isn't sleep mode. This is a completely cold boot. Similar to Hibernation mode but instead the users settings and open software are not saved to disk. With this the user account is closed and all drivers are re-initialized, effectively making it the same as a cold boot. This really is as good as it sounds this time! Details here.

Video cuts away as the drivers re-initialize ?

Also I see this being effective with laptops with quick BIOS POST times - not so effective with desktop motherboards that take an eon to POST. Think I prefer resume from RAM with everything ready and armed (superfetch etc)

i'm sure i've put my pc in sleep mode, unplugged everything to move it, and then turned it back on and it's come out of sleep mode. even other day i had a power cut but when it woke it was from sleep mode... and this is a desktop

Soldato
i'm sure i've put my pc in sleep mode, unplugged everything to move it, and then turned it back on and it's come out of sleep mode. even other day i had a power cut but when it woke it was from sleep mode... and this is a desktop

Suspend to RAM(sleep) and suspend to disk(hibernate) are two different things.

STR requires power to be maintained constantly to the RAM sticks

Soldato

i am tempted to say that that laptop had an ssd in it

Soldato
i am tempted to say that that laptop had an ssd in it

Read the technical details on how it works. It won't matter whether it's SSD or not. Even a Win8 machine with a traditional HDD will see huge gains.

The hiberfil.sys has been redesigned, such that:

- it is compressed, which reduces the amount of bytes that need to be read from disk.

- it is much smaller, typically around 20% the size of physical RAM. Versus the 90% of physical RAM today on Vista/W7. So less bytes need to be read from disk.

- multi-threading is used for reading and decompression.

Soldato
SSD + Windows 8 boot = Time travel?

:D

Read the technical details on how it works. It won't matter whether it's SSD or not. Even a Win8 machine with a traditional HDD will see huge gains.

The hiberfil.sys has been redesigned, such that:

- it is compressed, which reduces the amount of bytes that need to be read from disk.

- it is much smaller, typically around 20% the size of physical RAM. Versus the 90% of physical RAM today on Vista/W7. So less bytes need to be read from disk.

- multi-threading is used for reading and decompression.

So what happens after the RAM has been populated ? A lot of forking and initialisation in the background.

It's like the first thing I noticed about windows 7 ... Even though you're on the desktop the OS hasn't actually fully loaded.

Soldato
:D

So what happens after the RAM has been populated ? A lot of forking and initialisation in the background.

It's like the first thing I noticed about windows 7 ... Even though you're on the desktop the OS hasn't actually fully loaded.

Only on a normal bootup though. Those are all the background services still starting up. Doesn't happen on a resume from hibernation.

Associate
OP
I've found out what laptop they're using in the vid. It's a EliteBook 8640p.
Specs are: i7-2620M, 8GB, 160GB SSD

So pretty high-end. But still impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom