The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can wait until late feb the BETA will be out, and it has many improvements over the Dev Preview. Plus it should be atleast very near to fully featured, because the Dev Preview is also missing loads of things (Xbox Live, new media player, media center and loads more...)

Blast ... so no rolling to beta from dev preview :@/

I just don't want to spend too much time tweaking just to see myself wipe it all again

I just don't want to spend too much time tweaking just to see myself wipe it all again

You wont have to! Another new Win 8 feature is being able to sync settings across all your PC's :cool: You can setup a Live ID account in Win 8 and it syncs the following:

your profile,
application settings,
lock screen picture,
desktop background,
bookmarks,
Explorer view settings,
browser history and more.

Can also use your live ID to login, instead of a normal account password.

You wont have to! Another new Win 8 feature is being able to sync settings across all your PC's :cool: You can setup a Live ID account in Win 8 and it syncs the following:

:eek: No thanks - this would mean paying for windows :D (joking!), it's bad enough giving my data to google let alone microsoft too.

Looking at the networking side of things. It's looking very promising that Windows will finally fix SMB with Windows 8 - This is what grabbed my attention this morning

Just found out the minimum requirements for tablets....

• At least 10GB free space

• UEFI support

• Wireless and Bluetooth 4.0 + LE

• Support for DirectX 11 with WDDM 1.2 Driver

• Resolution of 1366 x 768 or higher

• Atleast 720p Camera

• Ambient Light Sensor

• 3 axes Accelerometer

• Gyroscope

• USB 2.0 (at least one port)

• Speakers

• Minimum of 5 finger multi touch

• NFC (Near Field Communication) “touch marks”

• Driver upgrades that don’t require a reboot!

• Must have 5 hardware buttons (apparently, no more and no less).
    The buttons will be: Power button, Rotation lock, Windows Key, Volume up, Volume down.

• New combination for CTRL + ALT + DEL on tablets: Windows Key + Power.
    But you’ll still be able to use the CTRL + ALT + DEL using the on screen keyboard.

• Two second or less resume from Standby.

No minimum hardware requirements have been said yet for CPU or RAM, but i expect it to be lower than Win 7 (the dev preview uses less RAM than 7 and is as snappy as XP on my 8 year old test laptop!).

How long before all/most desktop monitors sold will be touch screen enabled I'd imagine Windows 8 will give the manufactures a big kick up the ass.

I defo want to get a touch screen monitor for Windows 8.

Last edited:
That will be for the x86 version, I wonder what ARM based chips are supported?

Seems to be for all tablets, x86 and ARM. See here... it mentions ARM under the 2 second resume.

ARM's Mali T658 GPU supports DX11 and Samsung will be using that late this year in their SoC's so i expect Win 8 tablets with that. Anyone can license that GPU design though so more companies might use it. Nvidia's ARM based Tegra 4 will also have support. So definitely Tegra 4 Win 8 tablets, because theres no other reason to support DX11 otherwise because Android and iOS both use OpenGL ES.

The Mali T658 will be capable of graphics about equal to a 360 / PS3 :cool: Not bad for tablets / phones. But my Galaxy S2 phone can already do graphics better than a Wii so not surprised!

Last edited:
MR.B; said:
The Mali T658 will be capable of graphics about equal to a 360 / PS3 :cool: Not bad for tablets / phones. But my Galaxy S2 phone can already do graphics better than a Wii so not surprised!

Aye, because your phone could render a game like Super Mario Galaxy 2 at 480p...

Aye, because your phone could render a game like Super Mario Galaxy 2 at 480p...

It can do better than that... so dont know what you're trying to say. Current phone CPU's and GPU's like the Mali 400 (Galaxy S2) and Power VR SGX542 (iPad 2, iPhone 4s) are more powerful than the hardware in a Wii. But it's taking games a while to catch up with hardware.

They also render games at higher res:

Galaxy S2 = 800x480
iPhone 4s = 960x640
iPad 2 = 1024x786
Wii = 640x480

The Wii is utter **** hardware wise and only has 88MB RAM. It probably costs Nintendo 50p to make. The original Xbox released in 2001 is technically more powerful.

But look at the Playstation Vita... That uses an ARM CPU + GPU that will soon be in phones and tablets within the next 6 months. The Vita has games that look about 90% as good as a PS3 and renders them at 960x540. Most PS3 and 360 games are only 1280x720 - thats not much higher. By the time Win 8 is out, there will be better hardware based on ARM's considerably faster A15 chip.

I think Win 8 tablets will somewhat harm console sales considering there CPU's + GPU's will be many times faster than current phones / tablets. You'll now have a more mobile and smaller device thats a full PC with graphics equal to a 360 / PS3, plus HD output, with support for all PC gamepads, and a LARGER game library than any console (as long as it's a Intel tablet).

Last edited:
How long before all/most desktop monitors sold will be touch screen enabled.
I doubt any manufacturer of lcd's would stop production of a standard lcd. Touchscreen is great for those that want it, it's not something i would purchase for the desktop pc use, i'm hoping that microsoft allow metro to be switched off without any fuss, or at least a decent simple way to disable it?.

I doubt any manufacturer of lcd's would stop production of a standard lcd. Touchscreen is great for those that want it, it's not something i would purchase for the desktop pc use, i'm hoping that microsoft allow metro to be switched off without any fuss, or at least a decent simple way to disable it?.

According to MS all displays including PC monitors will eventually be touch screen. But yeah wouldn't have much use for desktops still... no one would want hold there arm out over a desk, you'd get arm ache in 5 minutes! :eek: MS have pretty much said the same though. It would work well on laptops because the screen is always right infront of your hands.

And why disable metro... it's better than the current Start menu and works fine with mouse and keyboard. Metro in the BETA will have improvements for mouse + keyboard, more keyboard shortcuts, quicker access to programs (fewer clicks vs the current Start menu) and you can now pin stuff to it like folders and exe's.

AMD finally announced new chips for Win 8 tablets and also announced they're pretty much leaving the high-end desktop CPU market!

AMD will be focusing a lot more on mobile platforms and will have the 'Hondo' platform for Win 8 tablets, the chips will be ~4.5W. Which is very low power for a typical AMD chip but still dont compare to an ARM chip (under 1W).

And Intels new Atom for phones, and likely Win 8 tablets (or a variation of it) is also lower power than AMD's Hondo platform. Although even with an AMD tablet i'd still expect much better battery life than laptops, but AMD have the advantage of a possibly more powerful integrated GPU that might just about manage running the latest PC games... at very low settings ;)

Well the Start menu is already gone so it makes sense! :p

"This change doesn't impact the functionality of the missing Start Orb: You can tap the Start key on your keyboard (or CTRL + ESC) to mimic the behavior of the Orb, or mouse over the bottom left corner of the taskbar to bring up the Charms and screen overlay as before."

So it still works exactly the same as in the Dev Preview.

I will prob wait until windows 9-10. Windows 8 looks dam ugly and touch screen prices will go thro the roof when windows 8 is released.

Hopefully by time 9-10 hits touchscreen will be more mainstream. I love windows 7 best one since XP and also suspect windows 8 will be another vista flop.

I will prob wait until windows 9-10. Windows 8 looks dam ugly and touch screen prices will go thro the roof when windows 8 is released.

Hopefully by time 9-10 hits touchscreen will be more mainstream. I love windows 7 best one since XP and also suspect windows 8 will be another vista flop.

:rolleyes: What kind of logic is that? LOL. If anything touch screen prices will come down! Not that you even have to use a touch screen anyway.

I'd bet money that Win 8 will certainly be no Vista. Vista flopped because of vastly higher hardware requirements to XP, driver issues (out of MS's control) and BSOD's in the early days, again out of MS's control (thanks Nvidia).

W8 on the other hand runs better than 7 on low-end hardware, does everything faster on ANY hardware, while using less RAM. And 99.9% of all drivers and software that work on 7 will work on 8. It's literally 7 on steroids with every single feature improved. Wont even bother mentioning the tons of new stuff added because it's all in the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom