The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes: What kind of logic is that? LOL. If anything touch screen prices will come down! Not that you even have to use a touch screen anyway.

I'd bet money that Win 8 will certainly be no Vista. Vista flopped because of vastly higher hardware requirements to XP, driver issues (out of MS's control) and BSOD's in the early days, again out of MS's control (thanks Nvidia).

W8 on the other hand runs better than 7 on low-end hardware, does everything faster on ANY hardware, while using less RAM. And 99.9% of all drivers and software that work on 7 will work on 8. It's literally 7 on steroids with every single feature improved. Wont even bother mentioning the tons of new stuff added because it's all in the first post.

My logic with regards to touch screen is simple supply and demand, even tho touch screen wont be needed lots people want it because its becoming more mainstream and with microsoft being the biggest OS company in the world adding it into W8 in a big way the demand will go up.

I hope W8 does work well but looking at microsofts history it normally takes every 2nd/3rd release before they do anything good :). Vista being the perfect example you cant blame drivers alone for that mess.

I still say who done the UI for W8 should be shot tho lol :). Hopefully W8 does turn out to be a great OS but I still feel W7 has few years left in it and see no need to make a switch once W8 gets released.

It's official Microsoft will hold a event for windows 8 consumer preview(beta) on Feb 29.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-5...to-host-windows-8-consumer-preview-on-feb-29/

Also these app will be pre-installed it seems:
Microsoft's plans that the company will bundle in a number of Metro style applications:

Camera
Messaging
Mail
Calendar
SkyDrive
People
Photos
Video
Music

Also windows store will have these games in the store and free of course:
A source familiar with Microsoft's plans has revealed a list of games that will be available in the preview version of Windows Store:

Hydro Thunder
Toy Soldiers
Reckless Racing
Angry Birds
Ilomilo
Rocket Riot
Full House Poker
Tentacles
Crash Course
Ms Splosion Man
Wordament

Pinball and Solitaire will come pre-installed on the Windows 8 Consumer Preview build, with the additional Windows Store games available as optional downloads.
http://www.theverge.com/microsoft/2012/2/7/2781821/windows-8-app-store-first-games

Also latest post in Microsoft blog:
Improving power efficiency for applications

W8 on the other hand runs better than 7 on low-end hardware, does everything faster on ANY hardware, while using less RAM. And 99.9% of all drivers and software that work on 7 will work on 8. It's literally 7 on steroids with every single feature improved. Wont even bother mentioning the tons of new stuff added because it's all in the first post.

question is are all these (relatively) little things worth the likely £100 asking price

Im interested as Ive been into pc's since win 3.1 / NT, and its always interesting to see what they come up with - but right now £100 is a lot of money to find on a whim (as it is for a lot of people)

If its a big increase in performance on the same hardware then fair enough - if its more " something for nothing" then people may wait for hardware refresh before looking at it seriously

corporate sales wont be huge for the first year or more either (XP still for a lot of places, either physical or virtual - while testing Win 7 hard / very limited roll out)

Sweet, I may buy office unless open office get on the ball. I really want 99% of apps to be in metro even on desktop.

Any update on beta? Other than end of feb. Can't wait to see which apps are on Market place then see how fast producers creat them on the run up.
I hope it's not a repeate of drivers for vista where it took 12-24months.

Using WOA “out of the box” will feel just like using Windows 8 on x86/64. You will sign in the same way. You will start and launch apps the same way. You will use the new Windows Store the same way. You will have access to the intrinsic capabilities of Windows, from the new Start screen and Metro style apps and Internet Explorer, to peripherals, and if you wish, the Windows desktop with tools like Windows File Explorer and desktop Internet Explorer

Very interesting I think we all assumed there wouldn't be any sort of desktop stuff on arm.

By the sound of it office 15 will be included on WOA For free but it's desktop not metro :(

Loving the nvidia one with mouse/keyboard dock.

So glad ARM tablets will also have the desktop :cool: Even IF theres only a desktop version of Office 15 on ARM i'm sure it will be better optimised for touch anyway.

Seriously... 2 years from now it will be like "iPAd what??"

I mean really, there is absolutely no reason to buy an iPad once these Win 8 tablets are out. Cant think of a single reason. Even when it comes to app counts, the x86 tablets from Intel and AMD will have vastly more software on release as they will work with all existing PC software. Plus all the new Metro apps, which i'm sure will grow quicker than any other platform.

Even laptops are in trouble. Why get a laptop when you could get a tablet with a keyboard dock? It's a requirement for all W8 tabs to have USB and bluetooth, so all these things we use right now (keyboards, mice, printers, external storage...) will all work with these tablets.

Last edited:
So glad ARM tablets will also have the desktop :cool: Even IF theres only a desktop version of Office 15 on ARM i'm sure it will be better optimised for touch anyway.

Seriously... 2 years from now it will be like "iPAd what??"

I mean really, there is absolutely no reason to buy an iPad once these Win 8 tablets are out. Cant think of a single reason. Even when it comes to app counts, the x86 tablets from Intel and AMD will have vastly more software on release as they will work with all existing PC software. Plus all the new Metro apps, which i'm sure will grow quicker than any other platform.

Even laptops are in trouble. Why get a laptop when you could get a tablet with a keyboard dock? It's a requirement for all W8 tabs to have USB and bluetooth, so all these things we use right now (keyboards, mice, printers, external storage...) will all work with these tablets.

I agree that Win 8 tablet are going to be awesome for tech/power users and not so good perhaps for normal daily use. The negatives are going to be viruses/malware etc as I don’t think anything will change in that matter.
However ipads while very limited compared to Windows 8 are super easy to use and virus/malware free.

Also the cost, top end Win 8 tablets are going to cost a fortune compared to the cheaper ipads/android tablets.

I agree that Win 8 tablet are going to be awesome for tech/power users and not so good perhaps for normal daily use.
What makes you think that? :confused: Theres over 1 billion Windows PC's, so MS already have an advantage that most people are very familiar with Windows. But most of all theres Metro, and for most people there will be no need to ever use the desktop on a tablet. IMO Metro is considerably cleaner and easier to use than iOS or Android by a long way, while still remaining more powerful.

The negatives are going to be viruses/malware etc as I don’t think anything will change in that matter.
However ipads while very limited compared to Windows 8 are super easy to use and virus/malware free.

Doubt it. All Metro apps can only be downloaded through the MS store. All these apps are scanned by MS just like with the Apple App store. Metro apps are sandboxed too so cant interact with other parts of the OS. Win 8 also scans for malware/viruses, including any connected devices, before the OS has even loaded. Theres also build in anti-virus and other security improvements on top of this. The only thing at any risk is the desktop on x86 tabs, but with the build in AV and the new Smart Screen filter the risk of getting infected is lower than ever.

If anything the iPad is more susceptible to malware and security issues as it's been around longer so people have had time to find weaknesses (i can already list more than few security issues it's had).

Also the cost, top end Win 8 tablets are going to cost a fortune compared to the cheaper ipads/android tablets.

Yes for high-end tablets, but being as this isn't Apple you will have choice. ARM tablets are meant to be significantly cheaper than x86. But i'm also sure Intel/AMD will have tablets from the low to high end, just like with PC's. Wouln't be at all surprised to see some W8 tablets cheaper that the iPAd, which is already too expensive for what you get (Apple make a massive profit on it).

Last edited:
Malware will be non-existant on WOA (Windows on ARM) tablets. Everything has to be signed and published via the Windows App Store.

WOA tablets will also be cheaper than iPad's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom