The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would I be right in thinking the developer preview was the equivalent to an alpha, and the consumer preview is going to be the equivalent to either a beta ....or release candidate?

Dislike this new way of naming things

Would I be right in thinking the developer preview was the equivalent to an alpha, and the consumer preview is going to be the equivalent to either a beta ....or release candidate?

Dislike this new way of naming things

i think 'BETA' was reguarded as something that was close to the finished product only a select group used to find faults. whereas this is not claiming to be a finished product that needs testing, just another milestone in their developement.

i think 'BETA' was reguarded as something that was close to the finished product only a select group used to find faults. whereas this is not claiming to be a finished product that needs testing, just another milestone in their developement.

So this is closer to what would previously have been called a release candidate then?

So this is closer to what would previously have been called a release candidate then?

yeh i believe so, i dont think it is being release for 'testing' purposes, more of a marketing hype thing. with 'BETA' it would put a lot of people off trying it, with 'consumer preview' it gives the impression its a trial version, so more people will get it, and the hype will snowball.
but nowhere have microsoft claimed this is by anymeans a true representation of the retail version, so its kind of like a demo to get people talking.

If it works out of the box like Windows 7 then there shouldn't be a problem. It may depend what tablets it supports too and if you require a specific type of tablet to have it installed.

i just have visions of this being marketed as a pre-retail release and the masses of people not understanding it is not a finished product and whacking it on their everyday machine and then endless amounts of people complaining their system is not acting as they expect, or something does work quite right.
i think its good people get a chance to preview what companies are doing, but marketing it as heavily as this seems to of been (whether that is microsoft or the media pushing it im not sure, or whether its just more people are members of place like ocuk and hear about it than there were in previous version of windows) i think might lead to problems, and people slating windows 8 before its even finished because of their poor understanding of what the consumer preview really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom