The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the biggest problem with releasing the pre design. Time will tell.

i ran the developer one for a while, and found it ok, but not mind blowing. but then thats from the user side, behind the scenes though, i have read that it will be a lot better than windows vista and 7 so in theory, although the looks and feel of it seemed a little odd, and with addition of the news that the startmenu will be completly removed (i added a clasic style one in the developer one anyway) then i can see a few people getting disorrientated and puzzled by the changes and overlook the behind the scenes stuff.

It's a whole new learning ball game over n over again. Shouldn't be too hard to get with the grips of it.

did you use the developer version? with no close, minimise etc buttons is just going to confuse a huge chunk of windows users. add to that no clear shutdown/restart buttons and i think microsoft might be getting a few people that are just not willing to accept things change on that kind of scale.

did you use the developer version? with no close, minimise etc buttons is just going to confuse a huge chunk of windows users. add to that no clear shutdown/restart buttons and i think microsoft might be getting a few people that are just not willing to accept things change on that kind of scale.

I tried it once and it was ok but needed more time to look at things really.

i had it for a few weeks as my main os, and well, it was good in ways, but seemed to be more for the touchscreen stuff, which i dont have, so felt it was going the wrong way. time will tell tomorrow if the new revision is going to be better or not, but i think when windows 8 hits the shelf i will probably wait for windows 9 or touchscreen laptops to reduce in price heavily before leaving windows 7.

The Consumer Preview is a BETA version. It will apparently be feature complete, everything in the finished Win 8 should be in this, even if it's not working 100% correctly or missing small things. The Dev Preview was equivalent to an Alpha build, and was missing tons of stuff including bundled software. Theres also been changes to Metro in the BETA, and you can now close Metro apps by swiping downwards. I'd expect some kind of mouse gesture equivalent.

As far as i know MS are aiming to have one more release after this, which will be the Release Candidate.

And the Consumer Preview is meant to be up around 2pm GMT.

Last edited:
Anyone on the Developer Preview with the Samsung Slate has not been forgotten:

buildwin8.jpg

Links are not yet active.

I skipped the developer preview, looking forward to this.

Did the earlier preview support dual boot natively if installed to a different partition.

Also, anyone able to advise on how to install across a network?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I held off on the Dev preview.

Was happy to wait for a more "feature complete" build.

Going to be installing onto main rig for giggles as well so would like it to be as stable as a beta can be.

The Vista/Win 7 final betas were rather feature complete and reliable from what I remember.

I held off on the Dev preview.

Was happy to wait for a more "feature complete" build.

Going to be installing onto main rig for giggles as well so would like it to be as stable as a beta can be.

The Vista/Win 7 final betas were rather feature complete and reliable from what I remember.

i had 1, and only 1, issue with the dev preview, and that was connecting my iphone, it didnt like it one bit. other than that i found no bug, incompatability, it just, well worked.
hopfully the changes made in the consumer preview wont cause any issues either :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom