The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is confirmed that there is no live Stream :( Go figure, I would have thought this would be prime for a live stream. MS up their own butt holes again?

I have to say, I am disappointed we still have the "Start Menu", I thought Windows 7 was the end of that. If Metro is their answer then my word are we in trouble.

People said the same with other previous features of Windows of which we have all learnt to love.

People said the same with other previous features of Windows of which we have all learnt to love.

Metro makes no sense for a desktop user.

I genuinely believed after Windows 7, we would see something "New", Windows 8 is obviously an evolution and I will be happy if it is better to Windows 7 what 7 was to Vista.

Rightly or wrongly, I expected more this time round.

I genuinely believed after Windows 7, we would see something "New", Windows 8 is obviously an evolution and I will be happy if it is better to Windows 7 what 7 was to Vista.

Theres more to an OS that just its GUI.

i agree, i thought i read windows 7 was going to be the last 'Windows' os ms were doing and they were going to completly remodel the interface with the next version, not just tack on a section that suits touchscreen hardware and remove the windows button on taskbar.

Theres more to an OS that just its GUI.

Which is why I stated, "It is an evolution".

The UI is how we interface with the operating system in which case it is more important than you suggest.

For me, on a personal level, the whole "Start Menu/Taskbar" concept is old hat.

In much the same way that Windows 95 was a UI sat on top of an O.S, I think Metro is a GUI, sat ontop of a GUI, am I the only one who finds that a little silly?

I do believe Metro is definitely the start of something towards the right direction, but I think it needs to evolve (which it obviously will) in much the same way Windows 95 evolved.

Last edited:
Mr B
HP accidentally uploaded a Win 8 driver document on there site, it mentions these SKU's...

Microsoft Windows 8 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64 Edition

Hope this happens, because no more uttery pointless and consumer confusing "Home Starter" and "Ultimate" versions. Everything from Ultimate would just be in Professional.

Found this HERE from another forum,

Windows 8 Developer Preview English, 64-bit (x64)
3.6 GB

Free Download
Windows 8 Developer Preview English, 32-bit (x86)
2.8 GB

Free Download
Windows 8 Consumer Preview English, 64-bit (x64)
3.6 GB

Free Download
Windows 8 Consumer Preview English, 32-bit (x86)
3.6 GB

Free Download
Windows 8 Home Basic 64 bit
N/A

Free Download
Windows 8 Home Basic 128 bit
N/A

Free Download
Windows 8 Home Premium 64 bit
N/A

Free Download
Windows 8 Home Premium 128 bit
N/A

Free Download
Windows 8 Professional 64 bit
N/A

Free Download
Windows 8 Professional 128 bit
N/A

Free Download
Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit
N/A

Free Download
Windows 8 Enterprise 128 bit
N/A

Free Download
Windows 8 Ultimate 64 bit
N/A

Free Download
Windows 8 Ultimate 128 bit

In much the same way that Windows 95 was a UI sat on top of an O.S, I think Metro is a GUI, sat ontop of a GUI, am I the only one who finds that a little silly?

not silly at all, it is obviuse that Ms will eventually get rid of the tradition desktop. But it has to keep backwards compatibility and allow developers time to redo their software in metro. So windows8 and I would have though windows9 will have desktop and metro. Then say windows 10 will be a massively better metro design. With ~6years of devlopment and improvements.

Oh and it's not just a GUi at all, it is massively different and better than windows7

not silly at all, it is obviuse that Ms will eventually get rid. Of the tradition desktop. But it has to keep backwards compatibility and allow developers time to redo their software in metro. So windows8 and I would have though windows9 will have desktop and metro. Then say windows 10 will be a massively better metro design. With ~6years of devlopment and improvements.

An Operating System shouldn't be seen by it's users. What we see is the programs that are ran off it.

So to say that Metro is a GUI ran off a GUI would be a bit silly really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom