*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Soldato
Yeah they are different OS'es so the SP's aren't named the same as XP Home/Pro. Essentially x64 SP1 = XP SP2. VaderDSL: What driver version are you using? My Logitech is working fine too...

Suman

Associate
Hello
There is no service pack out yet for Windows XP x64. So, at the moment there is no such thing as Windows XP x64 SP1.
For Windows XP, service pack 1 came out about 6 months after XP went live.
Windows XP x64 has all the fixes and features up to and including Win XP service pack 2. It is actually possible that if Win XP x64 does not need all that many big patches, that no service pack will need to be released.
Crashes have lessened in FarCry64 - it might actually be over before xmas.
Latest problem software is Photoshop 7. I was trying to help create a CS:S spray logo. Created the graphic in the Gimp2 and 'cos Gimp2 can't save in a Targa format that CS:S likes, I tried to get PS to take the image and save as Targa 24 bit. Just kept crashing. Managed to get a spray logo into the game in the end, with no thanks to about 80% of the totally wrong tutorials/tips out there in webland.
Cheers
snedger

Associate
Hmm been using xp 64 for few weeks now. I sometimes seem to have random problem shutting down the pc where it seems to just idle on the log off screen.

Also it doesn't seem to support any decent firewalls or virtual drive programs yet grrrr.

Other than that it seems hmmm ok.

Soldato
snedger said:
Hello
There is no service pack out yet for Windows XP x64. So, at the moment there is no such thing as Windows XP x64 SP1.

*Ahem*

sp1.jpg

;)

Suman

Last edited:
Caporegime
My x64 had a funny half-hour this afternoon. I shut it down using the "Hibernate" option and then it wouldn't wake back up. It kept rebooting itself. So after the four reboot I had to boot from the x64 CD and delete hiberfil.sys.

What a pain in the posterior. I'm starting to get fed up of this OS now!

Soldato
ic1male said:
My x64 had a funny half-hour this afternoon. I shut it down using the "Hibernate" option and then it wouldn't wake back up. It kept rebooting itself. So after the four reboot I had to boot from the x64 CD and delete hiberfil.sys.

What a pain in the posterior. I'm starting to get fed up of this OS now!
Sounds like a faulty device driver caused that. Take a look in your Event Viewer to see if anything has been recorded about it, if not I'd just disable Hibernate and play the waiting game. On the whole, x64 drivers are still full of bugs so just keep updating them at the slightest opportunity and hopefully in time it will just go away! :)

Caporegime
Yes, I think I was being a bit too harsh there. I had just installed the beta version of VMware Workstation 5.5

That could have easily caused it to hiccup. I think my system needs a good reformat, enabling the RAID and putting x64 back on all nice and clean. I would like to try and find some more 6-4-bit applications as there seems to be a lot of 32-bit "junk" on here now.

Soldato
MrMoon said:
im building an A64 X2 4400 system is it worth getting xp64 or not

What else are you getting? any Web cameras? You wanting to use Alocohol 120? there are lots of things that don't work in xp64 but that have alternatives, its whether you want to start having to mess around finding the alternative software, however at this moment I'd say not really worth it

Associate
Can someone help me with my graphics card prob.

I've got a Geforece 4 Ti4200, i have downloaded the XP64 Forceware drivers but they tell me that I dont have any compatable hardware. Could someone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks

Caporegime
Well I've been using this as the only OS on my computer for a week now. I am well chuffed with it. No crashes or anything yet. I'm managing to do all the things I could do on XP32 (except use my scanner, for which I have to cheat and use VMware with Win2k loaded).

Permabanned
x64 is built off windows 2003 server... windows 2003 has 1sp :)

I thought everyone knew that :S

Anyway... What can you recommend for mounting cds?

Caporegime
I think I spotted something in x64 that boosts its performance compared to XP32. My system cache right now is about 1.6Gb. Looking at the MS comparison table, XP32 can only use 1Gb max for the system cache. I'm not sure what the system cache does but the fact that it's using more memory on x64 is probably a good thing as it's caching more data.

EDIT: Well, my scripture above is a load of tosh. I've just seen XP32 use 1.5Gb of cache.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom