*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Edz

Edz

Soldato
Recieved my copy of x64 today, and was well pleased until I found out that there is no driver support for either my printer or digital camera, so this heap if carp is going back and I'm going to stick with XP....

I wouldn't mind but my printer is only a week old :(

Edz

Deleted member 651465

Deleted member 651465

No problems here..

Actually seems more stable :)

Anyone know when a BT Voyager USB Modem will have 64bit drivers?

I ask for a mate who installed x64 over my house, only to find BT didnt support his modem lol

I've heard some people "force" the 32bit drivers to work?? :confused:

Deleted member 651465

Deleted member 651465

Otacon said:
Updated link to the free upgrade for exising 32bit users (thanks Wyvern971). Offer has now expired I'm afraid :(
It expired 31st July (2005) :(

Stupid really because Microsoft didnt start shipping them until the 14th July...

Soldato
Using the trials version of this though I can't find any drivers for my PCI ADSL modem (Zoom5506) - then again I don't think it sees my modem(!)

Apart from that there doesn't seem to be any probs

Soldato
Hmm this is quite disconcerting... installed my 180-day trial roughly in mid-July. Booted up this morning and it said the trial period has run out and I can't log-in :eek: Any ideas what the hell has happened?!

In the period running up to this had a fair few boot hangs and a couple of BSOD's... coincidence or something more?

Cheers,

Suman

Soldato
x64, complete rubbish, it doesn't put Windows Media Player in the toolbar player when it is minimized... :D

Ok, so that's not a reason to call it rubbish and it's probably the most trivial problem ever pointed out on these forums. Any media player x64 users that have the player go into mini toolbar mode? I always quite liked that feature. :(

Associate
Edz said:
Recieved my copy of x64 today, and was well pleased until I found out that there is no driver support for either my printer or digital camera, so this heap if carp is going back and I'm going to stick with XP....

I wouldn't mind but my printer is only a week old :(

Edz
To be fair that has less to do with XP x64 and more to do with the manufacturers of your printer/camera producing 64bit drivers....

Soldato
Ok, found out what happened. Unstable overclock, BIOS time reset itself, OS thinks I was trying to cheat the 180-day trial period so it spazzed out and locked me out... just had to reformat :( Oh well gotta back this overclock down I suppose!

Does anyone know where to track the order status for the Upgrade Scheme MS did for XP Pro users? Because the URL they provided no longer works!

Cheers,

Suman

Man of Honour
slatey said:
the netgear dg834g works really well for me its a router as well and wireless...

Great provided that you aren't using a Netgear adaptor as Netgear seem to feel that no 64-bit drivers will be forthcoming. So my WG311T is a waste of space then.

Anyone confirm that Linksys do 64-bit drivers? Their site isn't very helpful.

M

Soldato
Had antoher inconvenience last night, only with this one I never found a solution...

We had decided to play a bit of network Red Alert 2, since I hadn't tried this since the x64 install I had to add IPX protocol, no problems there. However, Red Alert 2 just continuously said IPX was unavailable.
Tried for a couple of hours doing every random thing under the sun in a vain hope for it to work, alas no! :(

I even installed the NF4 drivers over the NF3 Beta ones, I had wanted to do this for a while as I heard it could be good. It didn't solve the problem, but they work perfectly, so that was nice... :D

I doubt anyone will have tried, but has anyone managed to play Red Alert 2 over network? It's such a great multiplayer game!

Associate
I couldn't even get RA2 working across 32-bit XP. My opponent could see me in the pre-game lobby area, but I couldn't see him. IPX networking indeed... :D Last time I'd used that was for Quake (the original one), Doom and Command And Conquer of course in the glory days of DOS.

Caporegime
ColinR said:
I couldn't even get RA2 working across 32-bit XP. My opponent could see me in the pre-game lobby area, but I couldn't see him. IPX networking indeed... :D Last time I'd used that was for Quake (the original one), Doom and Command And Conquer of course in the glory days of DOS.

We have this problem all the time at uni, bodging around with the network ID number usually solves it.

Associate
Hello
If you're a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI owner waiting for your copy of winxp64 then you might as well make use of your waiting time and download the beta Nvidia chipset drivers from Gigabyte, as the driver CD that came with the mobo don't work. I had my network cable plugged into the LAN that only comes on after installing the Nvidia chipset drivers and it took me a long while last night to realise the reason why my home networking connect to my ISP was not working! New rule: any OS install will commence before 10am on a free day (I bet that I'd still be sitting in a zombie trance in the early hours trying to get the last device working!)
Interesting efficiency increase side effect had come up. Upgraded the BIOS before installing winxp64 and for the first time got the message about how the memory was configured and learnt that I have been running in single channel mode since January! Will be replugging the memory later on.
Couldn't get the BIOS update to work through Qflash during the BIOS setting interrupt, but downloaded the @BIOS utility and flashed the BIOS in Windows - worked a treat!
Didn't realise that the X-Mystique 64 bit driver didn't work, so have no sound at the moment - which is still preferrable to going back to the pop, crackle, bang of the onboard sound.
When I get sound back I will have to get 64bit Far Cry setup, just so that I can tick the "running 64 bit applications, under a 64 bit OS, using a 64 bit CPU" box.
Cheers
snedger

Back
Top Bottom