The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
Did something really silly yesterday, I had a load of lesser mutagens of various colours and I was having a clear out at a merchant. Wondered whether I should sell them or keep them. Sell them I thought, you won't need them.

2 minutes later at the armorer doing some crafting I realised I could craft a blue mutagen from 3 lesser mutagens.......... craft greater mutagens from 3 mutagens.......... etc......... Nooooooooooooo!

So silly of me, went back to original merchant and the mutagens have disappeared from their inventory. I hadn't saved in a while so had to bite the bullet :(

Associate
Cheers... now to decide on difficulty. is Death March painful and no fun? I don't really want to play story mode. I enjoyed the combat in TW2, think I played that on hard.

Playing on hard from the start, acceptable level of challenge, not impossible, few boss fights, especially earlier on really challenged me, but you can always switch to death march later when your gear / skills start to scale better than enemy levels.

RE: Control scheme: Played both myself, controller feels more intuitive & responsive, also I like to control the speed I walk / run fluidly for that extra RP feel. Only thing I miss from controller is quicksave & sort items in inventory, so I mapped those keys to the middle button using antimicro.

Soldato
Playing on hard from the start, acceptable level of challenge, not impossible, few boss fights, especially earlier on really challenged me, but you can always switch to death march later when your gear / skills start to scale better than enemy levels.

RE: Control scheme: Played both myself, controller feels more intuitive & responsive, also I like to control the speed I walk / run fluidly for that extra RP feel. Only thing I miss from controller is quicksave & sort items in inventory, so I mapped those keys to the middle button using antimicro.

Which key is sort items?

Soldato
Question guys,

Is it beneficial to clear off as many '?'s as I can before continuing the main story? I'm about 3 hours in and I kind of lost interest in the game a little as I had a 2 week break. So I might start fresh. I'm just wondering what people did, do you clear the entire area before moving on? Or just plough through and come back to them?

Soldato
Question guys,

Is it beneficial to clear off as many '?'s as I can before continuing the main story? I'm about 3 hours in and I kind of lost interest in the game a little as I had a 2 week break. So I might start fresh. I'm just wondering what people did, do you clear the entire area before moving on? Or just plough through and come back to them?

Depends on how much you value the experience you gain from competing quests, I guess ?? I was running around doing other things then the main quest and then when I went back, was around level 11/12, some quests when I completed them I only got 5 experience points as parts was completed. Can't recall on the top of my head if it was the Baron related quests or Finding the Witch one though, but one was "recommended" level 5 and the other 6.

I still have loads of "?" to finish though, guessing around 1/3 or a bit more of Valen, only been to the 2 big cities in the region next doors (Novi somthing) just to sell and buy stuff though.

Soldato
Question guys,

White Orchard is so small I suggest doing all the ? on the map. The biggest reason to do this is you will find 5 stones of power which will give you 5 ability points for free. You will also find some decent loot along the way which will set you up nicely for when you reach Velen.

Soldato
Cheers... now to decide on difficulty. is Death March painful and no fun? I don't really want to play story mode. I enjoyed the combat in TW2, think I played that on hard.

Death March is pretty difficult the first ten levels. The game gets a bit easier after that, it depends if you want a challenge or not. You can always lower the difficulty if you aren't getting along with it.

Question guys,

What I did was just do the side quests I found interesting and then main story when they all sounded a bit boring.

Caporegime
Last night I just did the Gwent: High Stakes tournament quest at level 19. I thought it would be a quick 3 rounds of Gwent.

How wrong I was....Ridiculously difficult and both my Nilfguardian and Northern Realms decks were close to 150 power with 6 hero cards each!

Kept getting spammed with spy cards (which gives them 2 extra cards to use), and then they would decoy any spy card I used, to give them ANOTHER two card to use. One of the spy cards that kept getting used against me was a hero card with 0 combat strength as well, so I couldn't even decoy that back.

Lets just say there was quite a lot of re-loading. It doesn't help that at one stage (tiny tiny, non-important spoiler that doesn't ruin the story)
the quest involves a fist fight with a guy who was level 27

Unfortunately I didn't then get to bed til 2 a.m....

Last edited:
Soldato
Last night I just did the Gwent: High Stakes tournament quest at level 19. I thought it would be a quick 3 rounds of Gwent.

How wrong I was....Ridiculously difficult and both my Nilfguardian and Northern Realms decks were close to 150 power with 6 hero cards each!

Kept getting spammed with spy cards (which gives them 2 extra cards to use), and then they would decoy any spy card I used, to give them ANOTHER two card to use. One of the spy cards that kept getting used against me was a hero card with 0 combat strength as well, so I couldn't even decoy that back.

Lets just say there was quite a lot of re-loading. It doesn't help that at one stage (tiny tiny, non-important spoiler that doesn't ruin the story)
the quest involves a fist fight with a guy who was level 27

Unfortunately I didn't then get to bed til 2 a.m....

As a fan of board games and card games, this makes me smile a lot :D

Soldato
What is the level cap? Or how many skill points can you acquire in the game?

I look at the HUGE amount of skill points that can be spent to fill the talents and it daunts me on what choices I will make being perm or not focused enough.

Back
Top Bottom