The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
OP
How good is this for a casual RPG player? I get the feeling it's a little bit too hardcore for me...

It is action adventure RPG. It has mechanics much deeper than casual shooters like Uncharted, but it is a farcry from hardcore classic RPGs like Pillars of Eternity or other classic 2D RPGs.

If you are not dumb and are willing to learn its mechanics, you should be able to enjoy it perfectly well. And it can serve as a gateway to more amazing RPGs like Vampire Bloodlines, Fallout New Vegas..

Soldato
OP
Whilst I agree, it is a bloody challenge getting through VTMB nowadays!

Huh? Just install base version of Wesp's unnoficial patch and it runs fine.
Not sure what you mean by challenge otherwise. The game is also not suprhardcore or anything. Very similar to Witcher 3 in style (and both happen to belong among the best games ever made, somehow).
Graphically it still looks pretty good, Source engine has that timeless look about it. Jeannette looks as hot today as she did back in 2004 :)

hey there :p

Soldato
Ok, thanks, may have to pick this up if I can find a cheap deal.

£11.99 on cdkeys, sounds way too cheap. Is this the full game?
Yea, full vanilla game there.

But really, you can get the GOTY edition for £21.99, which I'd highly, highly recommend. That's still an amazing price given the Season Pass still goes for £20 on its own.

The two expansions are incredibly meaty and high quality and you will not want to miss out on them. For an extra £10, it's a no brainer if you ask me.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-goty-pc-gog-cd-key

EDIT: Be aware that these are GOG keys, not Steam keys.

Soldato
Thanks for the info.

I'd probably just buy the standard game in case I didn't get on with it.

Didn't notice it was gog platform, whatever that is. Never heard of it.

Is it not on steam?
GOG is a DRM-Free platform owned by CD Project Red(devs of Witcher series). It's perfectly good to use, but I know some people are picky about wanting everything on Steam.

And yea, it's available on Steam, but you're not going to find it as cheaply there.

Soldato
GOG is a DRM-Free platform owned by CD Project Red(devs of Witcher series). It's perfectly good to use, but I know some people are picky about wanting everything on Steam.

And yea, it's available on Steam, but you're not going to find it as cheaply there.

That's a bit of a pain :(

Would probably have bagged it for £11.99 on steam. Not sure if I can be bothered messing around with another platform.

Might just wait for a steam sale.

Soldato
That's a bit of a pain :(

Would probably have bagged it for £11.99 on steam. Not sure if I can be bothered messing around with another platform.

Might just wait for a steam sale.

GOG is far less intrusive than Steam. Setup an account, get Witcher installed and you don't even need to run GOG to play it.

Soldato
I recently formatted the drive that had my OS on it but remembered to copy all of the files from the documents folder including my save game files which I have now copied back to the drive with the fresh install on it. However, I don't get a 'Load game' option when I start the game up, any ideas?

Soldato
I recently formatted the drive that had my OS on it but remembered to copy all of the files from the documents folder including my save game files which I have now copied back to the drive with the fresh install on it. However, I don't get a 'Load game' option when I start the game up, any ideas?

Okay, it may not be this, but I'm going to chuck it out as a possibility as it happened to me. I re-installed Windows 10 and accidentally selected the option where it saves stuff to OneDrive by default. So rather than looking in C:\Users\username\Documents\The Witcher 3\gamesaves it was looking in C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Documents

(actually I don't think it happened with this game, think it was Civ5 I was trying to play after a fresh install and couldn't work out why my game saves were missing even though I'd copied them over, but could be the same.)

Soldato
I used the the GoG BETA Launcher and it had lost my main save, 100+ hours and reverted to a 37 hour save... I was in the middle of the first expansion too. Wish I bought it on Steam.

Doesn't use cloud saves though does it? So the gamesave file would have been on your PC, can you get it from a recent backup or with previous versions maybe?

Back
Top Bottom