***The X-Factor Thread - ALL X-Factor Related Stuff In Here***

Soldato
No one was even close

X Factor winner Matt Cardle has scored this year's Christmas number one with his debut single, When We Collide.

Cardle sold 439,000 copies to see off competition from a number of Facebook-led campaigns, Rihanna Ft Drake, and the original version of his own single.

Facebook contenders The Trashmen and Cage Against the Machine were at number three and 21. What's My Name by Rihanna Ft Drake was number two.

Take That remained at the top of the albums chart with Progress.

Singles by X Factor winners have had a stranglehold on the Christmas charts in recent years - a run which was ended last year when an online anti-X Factor campaign helped get Rage Against the Machine to number one.

Similar campaigns were organised this year to get other songs to the top spot including Surfin' Bird by 1960s US rock band The Trashmen and a 4'33" track of silence from Cage Against the Machine.

A Facebook group was also set up to encourage fans to buy the original version of Cardle's song - called Many Of Horror, by Biffy Clyro - instead of the X Factor winner's. That sold about 40,000 copies to finish eighth in the chart.

However according to the OCC, Cardle's track sold almost 170,000 copies in its first two days on sale, more than three times the sales of its nearest rival, Rihanna Ft Drake, which ended up the week selling 104,000.

His eventual total of 439,000 copies sold in six days was a record weekly total for a non-charity release this year, it added.

Millions watched win
Only Helping Haiti - with 453,000 sales in February - has sold more in a week this year.

Soldato
. Its almost as though some fans like their favourite artists to be mediocre and never make it. F

well... swedish house mafia already had a huge fan base and lived the life of kings when they just made house records. some of those records where even of decent quality. then they started making pop by numbers records with 'superstars' bolted on to get the sales.

can you not see how these lazy productions would upset the fans who liked them because of the former decent productions ? they basically realised they didnt need to put effort in and so didnt. not really what i would want to be a fan of. 2 of them are grade A tossers too and stuff like that only really comes out when they get enough fame for media to realise

theres plenty of 'ex' underground dance music producers who hit the big time and made millions without selling out. they just kept doing what they had always being doing , they didnt completely change their style and atitude to suit the masses like SHM did.

i am not comparing this to biffy clyro because i had no idea who they where either other than hearing the name mentioned before...

Last edited:
Associate
surprised at the lack of Biffy awareness....that said, unless you're into rock you're probably not going to know them. Their more recent album(s) have been A LOT more mainstream. In my mind, they are one of the most innovative british bands out there based on their first 4 albums but I imagine that the usual reaction would be that it's 'a racket' due to the fact that a) there's shouting in the songs and b) they don't follow the 'verse-chorus-verse' song structure. Seriously though, they were way ahead of the curve and a genuinley exciting band hence the strong viewed fanbase.

Soldato
The fans of Biffy seem to be unusually passionate. When you explain that you've never heard of them, despite listening to mainstream (chart music), they seem to show genuine disbelief.

From what I understand, they have only had 1 top 5 hit and this is the problem. If they can regularly appear in the charts, this will raise their profile...something which XFactor has managed to do. They should be very thankful for what XFactor have done for them as it will certainly give them a short-term boost to their career/CD sales.

Soldato
But NDubz are constantly on the telly, promoting themselves and have had No.1 singles. When you've have No.1s, this makes a MASSIVE difference for your profile and notoriety. It makes sense that people know of their existence.

Biffy have had little (mainstream) chart success, so it is fair to assume that they are known only by their hardcore fans and Rock circles.

Soldato
The single going to no 1 will do them the biggest boost they could have ever wanted, now people know where it came from its not the best song I have heard but its ok but will help them out am suer.

Soldato
I had only ever heard of them because they were on the Live Lounge CD covering Umbrella - ironic that everyone is getting all upset about their song being covered.

I don't understand why people getting so upset either and tbh its not as if he has done it bad I honestly thing he sings it better than the original, he has far better vocals and it shows in the song.

Soldato
[J.D.C];18054361 said:
I thought his performance on the show was poor but the single itself is a great song.

Easily better than Biffy.

Both his final performances were bad as he was ill before the final weekend so he was well below his best then.

Back
Top Bottom