The younger generation.

I often see people comment about how our young generations went to war in WW1 and WW2 and how modern kids would not do that. I actually disagree, if the circumstances were the same I think the results would be the same. I don't think you can change a countries core within 3 or 4 generations and I think should the call come the same 18-25 year olds would step up.

What do you think would happen nowadays if young people in private sector jobs just wandered off to protest against "stuff" for a couple of weeks per year?

Just another point to add, these young people in private sector jobs are likely to have massive mortgages and £10k plus of university debt to pay off as well. They can't afford to risk losing their jobs over some silly protest.

I do think younger people are consumerized and taught to confirm to the lifestyle earlier than ever.
9 year olds with iphones etc etc - That might have something to contribute to it.
There are still plenty of young folk 'fighting for the right to party' but capitalism has one.

I attend a lot of rallies and most attendees are of the younger generation. It's just that it doesn't seem so as there is a general agreement in the media to not give these rallies/assemblies any print or air time, so it seems like they just don't happen.

Utter rubbish.

There have been loads of threads on here where people have cried "media blackout" only for a member to link to an article on the BBC about it.

I think there are plenty of unreported or minimally reported protests happening but it's not some blackout conspiracy, I think it's just most of them are nonsense and aren't newsworthy because no one really cares and it won't get views. The young generation are still out there protesting but when it's the fifteenth 'booooooo cuts' protest that month, it's not surprising it doesn't make much media impact anymore.

Part of the issue might be that people who do have that fire in their bellies tend to be working their arses off from quite an early age to get ahead and a lot of the people who have the time to be worrying about these sorts of things are the ones that just whinge about how hard done by they are and how the world is against them.

There are also a lot more of the younger generation that are still living at home suckling off mum and dads tit living a cushty existence. I don't think many people 50 years ago had that luxury. I know plenty of people that are around my age that are still living at home, they don't pay any rent, they don't really help out around the house and you always hear them whinging about how they are the unlucky ones.

I protest regularly and strongly express my opinion. There are numerous issues that I'm very concerned about, inequality, homelessness and Israel being my main worries.

I think that these days we tend to rally with less evident forms of protest; social media being the primary one.

We are fortunate enough, however, to live in a much more moderate and equal society, so in my opinion I think the number of issues that directly effect the majority of the population are diminished, and certainly racism and inequality are massively diminished these days compared to when my father was young.

I'm 25 for reference.

Part of the issue might be that people who do have that fire in their bellies tend to be working their arses off from quite an early age to get ahead and a lot of the people who have the time to be worrying about these sorts of things are the ones that just whinge about how hard done by they are and how the world is against them.

There are also a lot more of the younger generation that are still living at home suckling off mum and dads tit living a cushty existence. I don't think many people 50 years ago had that luxury. I know plenty of people that are around my age that are still living at home, they don't pay any rent, they don't really help out around the house and you always hear them whinging about how they are the unlucky ones.

That's quite right show me a diligent and studious student and I'll show you 10who have no interest other than drinking and partying and don't deserve an education.

Utter rubbish.

There have been loads of threads on here where people have cried "media blackout" only for a member to link to an article on the BBC about it.

Ok, show me a link to a protest in Manchester and London on 14th December where 9000 young people gathered to protest against post grad tuition loans only being available to under 30's.

Union website news articles don't count.

Last edited by a moderator:
They've all turned into liberal hipsters, because telling a group they are not wanted is too much effort any more.

They are much better educated, but much less interesting.

Like you wouldn't bother reading a book by anyone under 40, it would be full of internalised angst over whether playstation is better than xbox or if Transformers movies count as an art form.

They've all turned into liberal hipsters, because telling a group they are not wanted is too much effort any more.

They are much better educated, but much less interesting.

Like you wouldn't bother reading a book by anyone under 40, it would be full of internalised angst over whether playstation is better than xbox or if Transformers movies count as an art form.

So many generalisations!

That's quite right show me a diligent and studious student and I'll show you 10who have no interest other than drinking and partying and don't deserve an education.

I'm at uni and I didn't do freshers week and I haven't had a drink since I started in September. Same goes for a lot of people on my course. a lot of people realise if we're paying £9k a year for this then we'd best make sure we come out with a good class of degree at the end of if. Your 1 in 10 is way off. I'd swap those numbers round to be more accurate.

There is also the issue that plenty of people protest for the hell of it. Go to almost any protest and I bet 80% of the people there don't have a firm grasp of the issue at all.

A lot of the issues that people complain about are also very complex issues. The housing problem is not something that you can simply oppose yet that is considered great when a bunch of people come together to complain that housing is too expensive and there are not enough houses. Or that people shouldn't be moved out of social housing in expensive areas etc.

Its super simple to say something is not fair but its another thing entirely to fix an issue that involves decades of malaise, private and government interests and people on both sides who represent every aspect of social, financial and ethnic diversity.

I don't see what 'not understanding the issue' has to do with how engaged people are compared to previous generations though.

I'm at uni and I didn't do freshers week and I haven't had a drink since I started in September. Same goes for a lot of people on my course. a lot of people realise if we're paying £9k a year for this then we'd best make sure we come out with a good class of degree at the end of if. Your 1 in 10 is way off. I'd swap those numbers round to be more accurate.

My daughter who started at Durham this year tells me she's shocked at how many students don't do any work and spend all their time drunk or asleep.

I don't see what 'not understanding the issue' has to do with how engaged people are compared to previous generations though.

Personally I wouldn't protest against issues that I don't understand or have any grasp of. If a lot of the people who are there are only there to feel like they are part of something and don't really have much passion for an issue, how can we expect it to change anything. If you want something to chance then you usually have to have people who are passionate and can offer a solution.

Back
Top Bottom