The younger generation.

Permabanned
Perhaps all those arabs shouldn't have migrated to Palestine if it was so bad, or in fact leave if it is so bad, or even just stop working for the Jews.
Then the rest of the world could stop giving them billions of dollars of handouts to prop up their corrupt terrorist state and fill the pockets of their leaders.

Palestine is the most bent country on Earth.

:eek:

Soldato
OP
The "massive fees" tend to be a percentage of what's in the percentage, as is the compounded interest. You could invest it yourself if you don't want to pay someone else to do it for you!

All the older chaps at work chastise the grads for not putting enough into the pension pot - they are all on ridiculous final salary schemes whereas we are on an absolute bare minimum pension. Factor in ridiculous rents (also going to the older generation . . .) and the student loans then there's not much left over to chuck in. An engineer who is retiring next year is moaning as his pension will put him into the 45% tax bracket. My heart bleeds for him :D

Apparently so :p I used to have a Mondeo, but it was an 8-year old one that cost about £2k!

What you have to remember is that the employee was pushed and cajoled into those pension schemes with a promise they couldn't lose. A number of unscrupulous employers have gone to the wall in the past few decades with employees then finding out the employer had raided the pension pot resulting in the cupboard being bare. Those poor workers lost a lifetimes contributions and are now living in comparative poverty.

It got so bad that the government of the day had to pass legislation in an effort to protect workers from employers worst excesses. Many employers then decided it was time to bail out of the final salary schemes and moved many employees onto much poorer pensions. Thank goodness we always envy and call the workers rather than the real villains though.

Caporegime
It's GD. bitslice suggesting that Palestinians should all somehow bootstrap their way out of their situation by leaving their home country somehow and move somewhere else with some money they may or may not have is pretty spectacular though, even for here.

Permabanned
You seemed to have completely ignored atrocities committed by Israel.

No I haven't, they are just as bad as each other.
I can't stand this Facebook BS that one side is innocent and the other side is evil, which to get back on topic is where this generation appears to get its views on everything.

I blame the 'like' button, you can't dislike both sides you have to cheer for one only.

Palestinians should all somehow bootstrap their way out of their situation by leaving their home country

Not me that suggested that, Israel has talked about paying them to leave.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What do you think would happen nowadays if young people in private sector jobs just wandered off to protest against "stuff" for a couple of weeks per year?

Just another point to add, these young people in private sector jobs are likely to have massive mortgages and £10k plus of university debt to pay off as well. They can't afford to risk losing their jobs over some silly protest.

And whose fault is that. If people were prepared to fight for what they believed in then things might be different.

Soldato
Of course the young have fire in their bellies. It takes huge guts and motivation to start a protest on Facebook or take part in the ice bucket challenge.

As if that's ever going to make a difference.

We're living in a world run by media. In this day and age, I believe it does make a difference because it raises awareness through popular media channels. Media didn't have this much impact back in the day because it wasn't as available as it is today.

Caporegime
I climbed trees, rode my BMX, played footie, chased girls...got drunk....got chased by skinheads....I was out most nights playing with my mates...

"I want a bacon" just sits playing minecraft ;)

Caporegime
A few of the chaps down my local were having a chat the other night, you know how it is, putting the world to rights etc.

One of the contributors was complaining about today's younger generation in the West not having any fire in their bellies the way we did in our younger days.

I asked him what he meant by that statement. He said well think back to the sixties and seventies and even the fifties. There were protests almost every weekend about one thing or the other. There was CND with Ban the Bomb, Greenham Common, Workers Rights, world poverty, you name it and the young were protesting about it.
[...]
What do others think - did this group have a point?

maybe over the past few years he missed the protests outside the bank of england, the protests over tuition fees, protests over benefits cuts, protests over Iraq etc...

maybe he hasn't even heard of Russell Brand :D

Permabanned
I climbed trees, rode my BMX, played footie, chased girls...got drunk....got chased by skinheads....I was out most nights playing with my mates...

Which is pretty much what my 15 year old does today with a few additions such as parkour instead of footie and probably not many skinheads about these days.

Kids are kids no matter what their generation. It's us that gets old and changes not them.

Caporegime
Too many gender label obsessed Tumblr freaks and Instagram whores these days. Growing up with a little brother, I get to see it all unfortunately.

Soldato
OP
maybe over the past few years he missed the protests outside the bank of england, the protests over tuition fees, protests over benefits cuts, protests over Iraq etc...

maybe he hasn't even heard of Russell Brand :D

I've noted tuition fees mentioned a number of times. However, isn't that just about self-interest rather than social conscience?

So many workers have turned their backs on the trade union movement in the last twenty five years and now many of the rights the workers gained have either been eroded or gone altogether. What's the saying - divide and conquer. The present generation thought they were middle class and didn't need unions and now look where they are. The UK is the easiest place in Western Europe to get rid of staff.

I'm only glad I'm at the end of my working career and not in the position of younger workers. Having said that I went on trade union marches when I was young and sacrificed a lot of pay in an effort to improve the workers lot.

Caporegime
I've noted tuition fees mentioned a number of times. However, isn't that just about self-interest rather than social conscience?

Why can't it be both?

So many workers have turned their backs on the trade union movement in the last twenty five years and now many of the rights the workers gained have either been eroded or gone altogether. What's the saying - divide and conquer. The present generation thought they were middle class and didn't need unions and now look where they are. The UK is the easiest place in Western Europe to get rid of staff.

I'm only glad I'm at the end of my working career and not in the position of younger workers. Having said that I went on trade union marches when I was young and sacrificed a lot of pay in an effort to improve the workers lot.

aren't unions also about self interest?

Back
Top Bottom