The younger generation.

Caporegime
No you see when the miners went on strike it was because they actually wanted to liberate coal and didn't believe it was fair to leave it all trapped underground. It wasn't really related to keeping jobs at all, furthermore

Soldato
So many workers have turned their backs on the trade union movement in the last twenty five years and now many of the rights the workers gained have either been eroded or gone altogether. What's the saying - divide and conquer. The present generation thought they were middle class and didn't need unions and now look where they are. The UK is the easiest place in Western Europe to get rid of staff.

I'm only glad I'm at the end of my working career and not in the position of younger workers. Having said that I went on trade union marches when I was young and sacrificed a lot of pay in an effort to improve the workers lot.

I think the tables are starting to turn. People are beginning to realise that unregulated 'free market capitalism' is a lie that only benefits those with wealth/power and will lead us back to Victorian levels of inequality.

Divide and conquer is exactly the strategy. Keep people fighting each other while those in charge take all the spoils for themselves. Don't blame the 'youth'. Young people have had 20-30 years of right-wing governments and press globally selling them this lie to the point that unionism is a dirty work and privatising everything for a quick buck is freely tolerated. Most of them have never known an alternative.

With the advent of more open news sources and open communication via the internet workers (and the public in general) are beginning to group together and I think there's only so much 'austerity' people are willing to put up with. I think we'll see unions (or similar collectivist movements) increasingly coming back into vogue.

Don't be too pessimistic :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I think we'll see unions (or similar collectivist movements) increasingly coming back into vogue.

Don't be too pessimistic :)

We already are. In the private sector we've seen trade union membership increase for the last four years.

There's no better union recruiter than a rubbish employer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
To reply to OP, the same group who complain that the youth don't have fire in their bellies are probably the same group that condemned Occupy London, the anti-fracking protestors, London riots, etc as hooligans, rabble rousers, and all the other descriptions that were applied to them when they were younger.

If you are looking for more of the same, I would say, be careful what you wish for...

Soldato
The difference between the two lines represents direct theft of wealth from my generation yet to buy houses to the previous generation.

Direct Theft? A bit strong dont you think?

People sold houses for prices other people were prepared to pay (banks enabling this through poor lending practices). Are you saying that you would have sold your house for less than you could have made had you been in the situation?

Associate

People sold houses for prices other people were prepared to pay (banks enabling this through poor lending practices). Are you saying that you would have sold your house for less than you could have made had you been in the situation?

I wouldn't agree that it's direct theft, but the "you wouldn't have done any different" argument is a bit hollow.

Presumably those people who subscribe to that philosophy would also be okay if the younger generation voted for tax cuts to be funded from pension cuts, higher taxation of private pensions, and the removal of winter fuel allowance.

The people "in charge" are not the 16-25 year olds (in any economic or electoral sense), and if there is a problem with the "youths" via either poor policy or poor parenting... well... should look at the generation raising them.

Associate

Yeah your right, theft through a degree of stupidity. I.e. which idiot can afford the biggest mortgage with the biggest interest to buy a house, then get one even bigger they cant really afford, then let their generation unleash the great ponzi scheme of ridiculous capital expansion.

Soldato
The problem is, the firebrand "children of the sixties" grew up and elected Thatcher, and for one reason or other, the country hasn't been the same since.

You can't blame that on the "younger generation", as they weren't around when this happend.

They quite sensible make the most of the world they live in today, which centres around money and improving social status.

Also, I'd be very interested to know just how many of these "blokes down the pub" have actually ever been on any kind of demo themselves, or have just bought into the ******** that surrounds that period in history.

Permabanned
The difference between the two lines represents direct theft of wealth from my generation yet to buy houses to the previous generation.

:D

What a pile of crap. No-one is stealing anything from anyone.

House ownership is still available to far more young people today than say in the 1970/80s when I grew up. The difference today is more about what people want to spend their money on, not that they cannot afford to buy a house.

There are of course other factors such as housing stock, regional variation, under and unemployment..but none of these things are unique to today, they all existed in the previous generation as well.

There is probably more opportunity today rather than less, although this probably peaked in the late 1990s, it still is only because of the recent crash and global financial problems that such opportunity has become lower...this happens, it is a cycle and not one unique to today's youth.

Suspended
To reply to OP, the same group who complain that the youth don't have fire in their bellies are probably the same group that condemned Occupy London, the anti-fracking protestors, London riots, etc as hooligans, rabble rousers, and all the other descriptions that were applied to them when they were younger.

If you are looking for more of the same, I would say, be careful what you wish for...

I think there is a difference between peaceful marches/demonstrations and the lawlessness and violence you describe.

Suspended
I wouldn't agree that it's direct theft, but the "you wouldn't have done any different" argument is a bit hollow.

Presumably those people who subscribe to that philosophy would also be okay if the younger generation voted for tax cuts to be funded from pension cuts, higher taxation of private pensions, and the removal of winter fuel allowance.

The people "in charge" are not the 16-25 year olds (in any economic or electoral sense), and if there is a problem with the "youths" via either poor policy or poor parenting... well... should look at the generation raising them.

I have to agree to some extent. Today's generation of younger people have been indulged and ruined by their parents. They need a good kick to get them out of their nests and become self-reliant. That's what growing up is all about. Property ownership for the working class man or women was very difficult when I left school and started to earn a living. You had to put at least 25% of the asking price down as a deposit and been interviewed by the bank/building society manager.

They used to think nothing of calling you in for a lecture on money management and your lack of it. Furniture was second hand, you did your own maintenance, the telly was rented and holidays might be a couple of days in a caravan - if you were lucky.

Why would you want to cut the pensions of the people that built the life you enjoy today? Being retired isn't supposed to be a punishment.

Wise Guy
Soldato
A few of the chaps down my local were having a chat the other night, you know how it is, putting the world to rights etc.

One of the contributors was complaining about today's younger generation in the West not having any fire in their bellies the way we did in our younger days.

I asked him what he meant by that statement. He said well think back to the sixties and seventies and even the fifties. There were protests almost every weekend about one thing or the other. There was CND with Ban the Bomb, Greenham Common, Workers Rights, world poverty, you name it and the young were protesting about it.

This drew more people into the conversation wth many agreeing. A few remarked that although probably an over generalisation today's young people appeared to be more insular and self-obssessed, more concerned with getting material things like the latest iPhone, clothes, other gadgets etc. rather than having a social concience. Many would prefer to play the latest computer game than take to the streets in an effort to change anything.

What do others think - did this group have a point?

Well the cold war ended. CND and the like were useful idiots bankrolled by the soviets. Sort of like the CIA and ukraine, arab spring.

Putin is now bankrolling Le Pen's FN ironically.

Suspended
and their parents got ruined by their parents and so on.

Really? You must have a different history to many folk then. Whilst previous generations may have wanted better for their offspring for the vast majority they simply did not have the means to do this.

Previous generations had to go out and make their own way in the world. I certainly had to and so did most of my contemporaries.

Back
Top Bottom