The younger generation.

Man of Honour
This combined with the rise in consumer goods and services means that young people are less likely to be bored and start questioning at the society that live in.

I think this is a factor. Basically with the exception of the very poor, the vast majority of young people have a huge array of entertainment at their fingertips in a way that simply wasn't there in the old days.

I'm not suggesting that activism was/is purely a by-product of boredom, but there are many more distractions in the home nowadays. I haven't been bored since getting the internet at age 18 (which the exception of times I've been required to do other things, obviously).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Really? You must have a different history to many folk then. Whilst previous generations may have wanted better for their offspring for the vast majority they simply did not have the means to do this.

I came from a working class background but my parents tried to give me everything I wanted.
Listening to them talk they did get apples, oranges and a small toy for Christmas but I got a lot more than that (born 1958) and listening to my Nan she got nothing.

Caporegime
While it would be awfully decent of you if you were sticking a few bob a week into my private pension fund, I suspect you're talking about the state pension which I opted out of in 1988.

It's not just the state pension though is it? Private pensions for example are heavily invested in the housing market, which is in the governments best interest to prop up and maintain, which they do both through legislation and inaction. And why? Because they only care about themselves and the main block of voters. The baby boomers and pensioners who get what they need out of the system and will damn anyone who tries to change it.

Associate
Associate
Why would you want to cut the pensions of the people that built the life you enjoy today? Being retired isn't supposed to be a punishment.

Because the same people are responsible for this chart.

ukgs_chart4p01.png

Young people are really going to "enjoy" paying that off.

Last edited:
Soldato
If there was something to feel strong about, I would gladly protest, but as it stands theres too much fear mongering and general stupidity out there to make any sense of what you should really focus on, except in obvious cases ofcourse.

I could proteest all day long about how earning a meagre wage is no way to live but nothing will get done because ...politicians and I dont feel as strong as some people seem to so I won't be going out blowing up buildings or crashing planes anytime soon.

Suspended
I came from a working class background but my parents tried to give me everything I wanted.
Listening to them talk they did get apples, oranges and a small toy for Christmas but I got a lot more than that (born 1958) and listening to my Nan she got nothing.

Yes you were what we called 'rich'. I got a football one year and the boots the next. Always got a selection box a tangerine and some chocolate money though. My parents finally managed to get a phone when my father was 60.

Suspended
Because the same people are responsible for this chart.

ukgs_chart4p01.png

Young people are really going to "enjoy" paying that off.

Is that the same young people who think nothing of maxing out their credit cards on the latest must have? This generation appear to be lacking a 'kill switch' when it comes to self-restraint. You only need to look at the OCUK Apple forum every time a new product is released to see that.

Suspended

And! what's your point? I was talking about peaceful marches and protests in whatever period. You quoted what I said so your point has me mystified.

However, what I can tell you about those links is this - if memory serves me correctly there were allegations that agents provocateurs were deliberately placed in the crowds.

Associate
Is that the same young people who think nothing of maxing out their credit cards on the latest must have? This generation appear to be lacking a 'kill switch' when it comes to self-restraint. You only need to look at the OCUK Apple forum every time a new product is released to see that.

So...
  • Who raised them so badly?
  • Why shouldn't the generation that thought nothing of maxing out the country's credit card pay for it?
If the older generation in this country think the younger generation behave badly, then they did a bad job raising them. Take some responsibility.

Soldato
So...
If the older generation in this country think the younger generation behave badly, then they did a bad job raising them. Take some responsibility.

And who raised the older generation that raised the younger generation.... And who raised the generation that raised the older generation that raised the younger generation.... They should take some responsibility for all this!!!:rolleyes:

Suspended
So...
  • Why shouldn't the generation that thought nothing of maxing out the country's credit card pay for it?

Didn't I or someone say that a few posts back? I'm not defending today's parents I agree totally they have indulged their kids instead of kicking them out of the nest in order to learn self-reliance and self-restraint. I'm assuming from your reply you are relatively young as you wear the badge of no self-blame it is always someone else's fault never mine.

I'm not sure how a global economic recession on a scale of the 1930's or worse can be levelled at one generation. Possibly the 10% that control the worlds wealth but not the remaining 90%.

Associate
Didn't I or someone say that a few posts back? I'm not defending today's parents I agree totally they have indulged their kids instead of kicking them out of the nest in order to learn self-reliance and self-restraint. I'm assuming from your reply you are relatively young as you wear the badge of no self-blame it is always someone else's fault never mine.

I'm not sure how a global economic recession on a scale of the 1930's or worse can be levelled at one generation. Possibly the 10% that control the worlds wealth but not the remaining 90%.

I don't have any self blame because I haven't done anything wrong. I pay my taxes, and I've never been in default. I have no Apple products either.

I'm also not the one claiming to have more of social conscience than anybody else, unlike the Mac-owning OP.

But yes, if you think that the the current economic problems should be levelled at the people with all the wealth. I agree, and the baby boomers are the people with 80% of the UK's wealth. (Some sources: 1 2)

As far as I can tell, the older folk on this thread are the group that decided to privatise everything, run up huge state debts, NIMBY block all the infrastructure projects, and raise their kids with materialistic values all the while claiming the moral high ground over their children and demanding the pensions be "triple locked" at all costs. (apologies to anybody from that age group that doesn't fit that description)

Soldato
Just picking up on the media blackout point, as it is something I couldn't disagree with more.

Access to media has never been easier or more accessible, and there's never been so much choice either. From limited radio, TV and print media in the 1960s to today where virtually everyone can become a publisher. There's such a great bandwidth of information now that, ironically, unless you're specifically looking for something then for the current consumers of news the information seems just as hard to find. If it isn't in the Most Read section of a news site, not trending on social media or not in the first page of an internet search then it can easily be overlooked.

Journalism has also changed. There is far less investigative reporting, understanding the issues around why something is happening and gaining different views - it has changed to more reporting of what is happening, and above all else reporting it first before anyone else. That changes the consumption of the story, where people start to understand less about why something is happening but more that it is happening. But, if it isn't in that top ten of the day, then the majority will not know about it because they'd have to actively seek it out.

A perceived media blackout is not a failure of the event being reported, it is a failure of the potential consumer's changed habits to access it. It also explains why some very minor events, should they get sufficient momentum, get blown out of relative proportion.

Unsurprisingly, modern politicians and policies are focussed on the mainstream. It is one of the reasons that they appear so uncomfortable and out of their depth when the smaller yet disproportionately loud events and activities gain traction and make the main headlines.

I've worked with the media for the past decade or so and the shift in that time alone has been dramatic. Just my observations, for what they're worth.

Back
Top Bottom