The younger generation.

Suspended
30 years ago, a house typically cost the same as a family hatchback

uk-house-prices-May-nominal.gif

That in itself is reason enough that the younger generation have been shafted by the older one.

I plough almost £800 / month into a mortgage to live in a 3-bed semi and I'll be paying that for another 35years.

I think if you go online and watch tonights The Super Rich and Us BBC2 you have the genuine reason for such gross inequality. I think you will find it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Baby Boomers. It just so happens (and confirmed during the show by one or two honest very rich people) that the UK population has been conned for the last 3 decades by successive governments.

It's a good watch - sickening but very informative.

Soldato
30 years ago, a house typically cost the same as a family hatchback

That in itself is reason enough that the younger generation have been shafted by the older one.

I plough almost £800 / month into a mortgage to live in a 3-bed semi and I'll be paying that for another 35years.

In exactly the same position as you, same type of house and same monthly mortgage. My wife and I are both University graduates on jobs paying above the national average, we are certainly comfortable but compared to my parents our house is tiny and we had to work and save very hard for it. Compare this to my Mum and Dad who both left school at 16 and went into retail. My Dad eventually got his own shop and my mum helped out occasionally but most of the time she was the classic housewife once I was born.

They moved into their first house in 1976 and then into a semi in 81 settling in the main house I grew up in a 4 bed detached in 1986 costing £56,000. The house is big and has a huge garden. In today’s terms that house cost them £145,000 to buy, just staggering. Now its worth about £500,000. There is absolutely no way starting out now they could live where they do. My dad is 64 in Feb and working up to retiring and my parents will probably downsize into something like my wife and I have now. This will leave them with a lump sum of around 250k.

We are looking at starting a family and although I like our house I will feel guilty that I cannot provide a house like the one I grew up in and that both of us will be out at work all of the time.....still, in the current climate we are relatively privileged and things could be far far worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I said previously, this generation need to cut the 'self entitlement' rubbish and get out there and fight for the things they want. Our generation had to fight and go without.

How would today's kids react to an apple tangerine and football as their entire Christmas stocking with the odd selection box from grandparents etc.

The more I think about the OP's piece and the more I read posts in this thread the more I agree with the OP's sentiments.

Why do so many think we should have a race to the bottom. Have we got a large number of closet Tories on this forum?

Just out of interest, how old are you and how's your pension plans working out for you?

Soldato
Just out of interest, how old are you and how's your pension plans working out for you?

He isn't wrong though. My parents got a house far sooner than I did. It cost something like £6,000. But we were hard up and struggling to get by. But we had a roof over our heads. But they had been saving for years while they were courting to get a 25% deposit. They went without. No holidays, no social life, no spending other than on absolute essentials.

My house cost over 20 times that much, am I bitter?

Of course not because I accept that all the time I spent at home earning a nice little wage I should have been saving for a deposit. But I didn't. I squandered it all on gadgets and toys, and holidays and a social life - just like most of the young people of my generation who struggle to buy a home, and like the current generation who do the same and are now struggling to get on the property ladder. I couldn't see past the immediate, the here and now and I paid for it big time in the long run.

I suspect many of those folk who say they cant afford a deposit still go on holiday for 2 weeks a year, are still down the pub on the weekends and drive a nice financed car etc etc.

It is about priorities, and unfortunately many people want their cake and eat it.

I am nearly 34 and bought the house when I was 30, and I do not have a pension - but I still live in a detached house on a nice estate and we bought our house without hand outs and very late in life compared to my parents - starting from scratch. We made sacrifices and lived a simple life for a while. I was on 26k and my now wife was on 10k, so not big money.

Why didn't we buy sooner? Because we had both wasted money in our youth instead of thinking of our future. So it can be done, but you have to go without while you save.

Out of the people in this thread, how many can honestly say they are making real financial sacrifices? No holidays, no social life, no Sky TV, no takeaways, buying own brand stuff on the shopping because it is cheaper, wearing jumpers instead of using the heating because it saves money and so on and so forth.

If you want a bigger house you save and go without for longer. If the bigger house stretches your budget, then you go without once you have bought it like we did. We have been abroad only once since we bought the house and that was for our honeymoon and only possible due to generous cash donations from family and friends for our wedding. We hadnt originally planned a honeymoon because we couldn't afford it. Our holidays have been sharing a holiday let with my brother and his family and my best friend and his. One in Devon and one in Wales. Thats it.

How many holidays have the rest of the posters been on, and where to?

But compared to the life my parents had after they bought a house, even when we were making cut backs we were still positively well off!

Soldato
If houses cost 20 times more and salaries haven't risen 20 times more then it is obvious why people aren't buying houses sooner. I only bought my house last year (32yrs old). My grandad turned round and muttered something about being "about time". We then went on to discuss his house price, his salary at the time, the mortgage rates, the deposit required, etc. He soon came round to the fact that house buying is ridiculously hard compared to then.

Sure, most people can still afford a house if they save and live sensibly. However, most people are having to buy much later in life and will be paying that mortgage off up to retirement.

Associate
He isn't wrong though. My parents got a house far sooner than I did. It cost something like £6,000. But we were hard up and struggling to get by. But we had a roof over our heads. But they had been saving for years while they were courting to get a 25% deposit. They went without. No holidays, no social life, no spending other than on absolute essentials.

So... I live in London.

Mixing my years a bit, but not much out.
HMRC median income in London 2011-2012 = £23,800/yr
ONS average house price in London 2014 = £514,000
HomeLet average rental values for new tenancies in London (Nov 2014) = £1,408/m

So, £23,800 translates to £1,595 a month (after NI and income tax). Lets say, you live in a 3 person share (£469 a month). That 25% deposit would only take... oh, 9.5 years to save up assuming you don't eat, drink, pay council tax, don't need any public transport, and don't need water or electricity.

Suspended

My house cost over 20 times that much, am I bitter?

Of course not because I accept that all the time I spent at home earning a nice little wage I should have been saving for a deposit. But I didn't. I squandered it all on gadgets and toys, and holidays and a social life - just like most of the young people of my generation who struggle to buy a home, and like the current generation who do the same and are now struggling to get on the property ladder. I couldn't see past the immediate, the here and now and I paid for it big time in the long run.

I suspect many of those folk who say they cant afford a deposit still go on holiday for 2 weeks a year, are still down the pub on the weekends and drive a nice financed car etc etc.

It is about priorities, and unfortunately many people want their cake and eat it.

I am nearly 34 and bought the house when I was 30, and I do not have a pension - but I still live in a detached house on a nice estate and we bought our house without hand outs and very late in life compared to my parents - starting from scratch. We made sacrifices and lived a simple life for a while. I was on 26k and my now wife was on 10k, so not big money.

Why didn't we buy sooner? Because we had both wasted money in our youth instead of thinking of our future. So it can be done, but you have to go without while you save.

Out of the people in this thread, how many can honestly say they are making real financial sacrifices? No holidays, no social life, no Sky TV, no takeaways, buying own brand stuff on the shopping because it is cheaper, wearing jumpers instead of using the heating because it saves money and so on and so forth.

If you want a bigger house you save and go without for longer. If the bigger house stretches your budget, then you go without once you have bought it like we did. We have been abroad only once since we bought the house and that was for our honeymoon and only possible due to generous cash donations from family and friends for our wedding. We hadnt originally planned a honeymoon because we couldn't afford it. Our holidays have been sharing a holiday let with my brother and his family and my best friend and his. One in Devon and one in Wales. Thats it.

How many holidays have the rest of the posters been on, and where to?

But compared to the life my parents had after they bought a house, even when we were making cut backs we were still positively well off!

At last someone with what many in this thread would called old fashioned outdated ideals. Thrift is the key but how many of today's kids would do what we did, not many I suspect. People I knew when we were saving for our first house thought I had moved out of the area it was so long since they had seen me, truly. Every piece of furniture we had was either gifted or second hand and there was no such thing as fitted carpets. Even the TV was from Radio Rentals.

I would challenge most of the people who think they are hard done by today to tell us if they have a smartphone in their pocket, how much was it and how much they are paying a month. If they have one get rid, then get rid of any other expenditure that isn't truly essential and keep that going for the next 5 years. That's what me and the wife did for our first house.

Suspended
So... I live in London.

Mixing my years a bit, but not much out.
HMRC median income in London 2011-2012 = £23,800/yr
ONS average house price in London 2014 = £514,000
HomeLet average rental values for new tenancies in London (Nov 2014) = £1,408/m

So, £23,800 translates to £1,595 a month (after NI and income tax). Lets say, you live in a 3 person share (£469 a month). That 25% deposit would only take... oh, 9.5 years to save up assuming you don't eat, drink, pay council tax, don't need any public transport, and don't need water or electricity.

You have to cut your cloth according to your means. You need to transfer to an area more commensurate with your salary. London prices are clearly out of your reach.

As said watch last nights The Super Rich and Us. We all bought into a huge lie.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
I would challenge most of the people who think they are hard done by today to tell us if they have a smartphone in their pocket, how much was it and how much they are paying a month. If they have one get rid, then get rid of any other expenditure that isn't truly essential and keep that going for the next 5 years. That's what me and the wife did for our first house.

Heh! Come on. Get real. It will never change. Look how bad it is.

Last edited:
Suspended
Heh! Come on. Get real. It will never change. Look how bad it is.

Exactly, today's generation think doing without means having an iPhone 5s instead of a 6.

Someone else commented they want it all and they want it now. I've paid into both private and state pension for around 40 years and been through all manner of privations in order to bring up my family.

V F

V F

Soldato
Don't forget…

"My friends told me about this and I thought I'd better go and buy one quickly."

Caporegime
I think people my age are pretty hard done by. We're being swamped under an ever increasing tax burden to pay for the generations preceeding us who are making sure to take away the privileges they had in order to protect their own retirement.

Not that it really matters but I only have a smartphone because work gave me one. I still see the older generations as selfish and self-entitled.

Last edited:
Associate
As said watch last nights The Super Rich and Us. We all bought into a huge lie.

I'm reading that as, "it's somebody else's fault"

I've paid into both private and state pension for around 40 years and been through all manner of privations in order to bring up my family.

Yep, those state pensions that the government borrowing more money for... to be paid off... in the future, by future generations.

At last someone with what many in this thread would called old fashioned outdated ideals.

Edit: Removed comments about old fashioned ideals also being racist, sexist, and homophobic. It was unduly combative and harsh.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think people my age are pretty hard done by. We're being swamped under an ever increasing tax burden to pay for the generations preceeding us who are making sure to take away the privileges they had in order to protect their own retirement.

Not that it really matters but I only have a smartphone because work gave me one. I still see the older generations as selfish and self-entitled.
I couldn't agree more.

Suspended
I'm reading that as, "it's somebody else's fault"

Instead of spouting why don't you watch before making a decision.

Yep, those state pensions that the government borrowing more money for... to be paid off... in the future, by future generations.

Just as I've spent my working life paying for those that went before me, so what's your point?

Edit: Removed comments about old fashioned ideals also being racist, sexist, and homophobic. It was unduly combative and harsh.

Associate
My point is that your comments about "doing without" are nonsense, boomers borrowed more than the previous generation, sold all the national industries, and the council housing stock, and are now leaving it to the future generations to pick up the pieces whilst berating them for not managing to do more.

Suspended
My point is that your comments about "doing without" are nonsense, boomers borrowed more than the previous generation, sold all the national industries, and the council housing stock, and are now leaving it to the future generations to pick up the pieces whilst berating them for not managing to do more.

Well I've looked through most of my paper work, bank accounts etc. and I can't see that I've sold off any of the things you mention in your post.

I do remember someone called Margaret Thatcher (spits out bile) doing something along those lines against the wishes of most baby boomers.

So you think we had it good in our early lives do you - rationing still in force, shortages everywhere, dilapidated and bombed out buildings. The country was broke after 1945 and it took until the late 1960 before even part of that debt was repaid.

Do you know anything about history, how pensions work etc.?

The government don't have a huge pension pot to pay for people's pensions you know. What they take in each week goes in part to pay for the pensioners we have presently and when the present pensioners were working their contributions paid each week for that current generation of pensioners.

Just have a look at the national film archives for industrial Britain of the 1950's 60's and 70's to see what life was like then and how we were living it up. When you have done that come back and post again and tell us all what you have learned.

Blimey, how much have I paid for your education? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom