• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Thermalright LGA1700-BCF Frame Corrector.

Soldato
seems there is no issue apart from for certain cooler brands
Gamers Nexus, Der8auer and other extreme overclockers would disagree and have proven so. How serious and widespread the problem is is up for debate, but poor cooler content and board warping is a thing. Intel even confirmed it's a thing when they outright dismissed said thing as a problem.

And you even bought a frame corrector yourself, so you at least acknowledge there is an issue, even if it didn't manifest in your specific use case.

Caporegime
And you even bought a frame corrector yourself, so you at least acknowledge there is an issue, even if it didn't manifest in your specific use case.
yea and I got like margin of error difference as did some others in here.
seems only certain brands have issues, probably because their tolerances aren't tight enough for the flatness of their contact plate

Associate
seems only certain brands have issues, probably because their tolerances aren't tight enough for the flatness of their contact plate
Is there a list of which brands are more problematic? I'd argue that there's still some fault with Intel though designing a socket which is open to this kind of issue.

Soldato
Which they won’t… so yeah, these frames are pointless.

These CPU’s are within spec. as per Intel.
The fact that these CPUs run to Intel's spec does not render these frames pointless; Intel's spec is dubious at best, outright wrong at worst.

For those people who have experienced poor contact patterns and outright board warping, these frames are arguably critical to proper operation.

Soldato
Fitted mine on my 5.2Ghz 12900K today. Using a 360mm AIO before fitting it hit a maximum of 82c with OCCT 30 minute pass with everything set to "High" or "Extreme".

After fitting frame hit 76c. Will carry on testing but for £2.57 I don't think that's bad at all!

Associate
Fitted mine on my 5.2Ghz 12900K today. Using a 360mm AIO before fitting it hit a maximum of 82c with OCCT 30 minute pass with everything set to "High" or "Extreme".

After fitting frame hit 76c. Will carry on testing but for £2.57 I don't think that's bad at all!
Bought and fitted one of these as thought it sounded like a good idea. Haven't noticed much difference in temps but thermal compound coverage was very good already. I have a liquid cooler II with the backplate so maybe that's helped.

Still worth doing I think. Serious tension in the Intel ILM.

Soldato
I haven't tested it, but with the temps im getting on a u12a and a 12900k, I find it unreasonable that a contact frame would do anything. I'm already at 80c running CBR23, how lower would it get?

Thing is, i tested the same CPU and cooler on 2 different motherboards (apex and unify X). The unify X had a touch bigger temperatures (3-4c) which could be attributed to bending I guess (?), but still the difference is negligible.

Caporegime
I haven't tested it, but with the temps im getting on a u12a and a 12900k, I find it unreasonable that a contact frame would do anything. I'm already at 80c running CBR23, how lower would it get?
I'm guessing with a 12900k you wouldn't get lower, most peoples seem to run a lot hotter than yours

Associate
I've just had this problem with a new msi b660 tomahawk motherboard ... once the cpu is installed the board warped at the back giving me rubbish cpu on cooler contact resulting in high temps.
the first day cpu temps were ok 36 idle but next day the temps were 46 / 50+ idle
so I had a look and it was bending huge !

Well I just purchased another motherboard to try out the z690 msi tomahawk and now no bending what so ever great temps!

all this was using stock intel cooler and the same cpu (waiting for my lga1700 bracket to arrive for my cooler) I also purchased the thermalright bending fix but not going to install it on the z690

I could tell straight away pulling the socket latch on the z690 board was easier... is it problem with certain batches off motherboards ?

I have some pictures of the bend on the b660 to show ...this forum in the stone age cant add photos or me dumb :)

Back
Top Bottom