TheSkyNet news thread - 10/10/11

Man of Honour
So are you guys running 4 web clients? Mines running but I don't see any cpu usage, but I got one point (could have been for downloading something)

Soldato
OP
I'm running 4 clients - in theory I'm getting a minimum of 4pts for every 15 the four window are active.
There are lots of times when no WU's are available - so all four sit there doing nothing.
They are also times when it slowly downloading the next packet (no work happens durring this time)
All four of mine are currently doing nothing - but there were loads of WU's yesterday morning.

The team at TheSkyNet are not running all the servers yet (no eta on when they will)
And are only running 'beta' check data.
The current block (HIPASS) is due to be fully crunched at the end of this week.

They were in no way ready for the MASSIVE uptake that the project has received.
But are very proactive on dealing with the DC community

Edit: Oh and welcome to the team Biffa - you had 4 points when i just checked.
You only get points for processed data, downloads give you nothing

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone got this running alongside other projects? I would continue this at home now that work has blocked it, but I've got one rig for folding and one for boinc and I don't really want this hogging too much resources.

Soldato
OP
It hogs ram - can be 580mb per brower window.
And if the F@H / Bonic are actively using the cpu core - it will just switch off
(java 32.exe closes in taskmanager but the window remains)

Other have said it slows down F@H too, think it was loudbob...
but not affected by MS office, photoshop, iplayer, itunes or games

Doesn't really stress/heat up the cpu either.
I did have four 580mb ones all flat out yesterday morning
With temps around 55c - that 10c hotter that idle in my passive water loop

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Following this mornings stats grab I can confirm all new members are up and running.
which is more that can be said for the three team slackers (Mr.d, Mr. l and Mr. p)

Sorry to hear the MI - Fill them ram slots, you know you want too

Last edited:
Soldato
As much as I would love to buy more gear for my rig I doubt it will happen. :( This rig is staying as it is till it breaks and will be replaced with a laptop I imagine just don't use it enough anymore. :(

Still team are in 22nd place. :D :D

Soldato
Erm to Mr The Tross you might be stomped in a few hours time this is a late parp. :p

Oh and a little outage for the site tomorrow.

Upcoming Scheduled Outage
Posted on October 12, 2011
by theSkyNet

theSkyNet website will be down for maintenance from 3pm Perth time tomorrow (Thursday 13/10) for approximately 2 hours.

This maintenance is to upgrade our website’s server hardware, but will not affect the Nereus (or processing) backend of theSkyNet. What this means is that if you have opened up a theSkyNet pop up to process data before the outage it will continue to work through the outage, as will installed ‘background’ clients on computers.

During the outage you wont be able to log in to theSkyNet to check credits, trophies or open any new client pop ups.

Other World times for the outage:
Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT): Thursday 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Johannesburg: Thursday 9:00am – 11:00am
London: Thursday 8:00am – 10:00am
New York: Thursday 3:00am – 5:00am
Los Angeles: Thursday 12:00am – 2:00am

Last edited:
Associate
You could try bringing up Task Manager right click on Java.exe ( one will appear for each instance of theskynet you have running ) and set the priority as is required.

Setting the priority of your JSE is a bad idea. The threads within the JSE are automatically set to Low/Idle priority, so theSkyNet will scale back when other programs start paging for resources. But this all works inside the JSE, and setting the priority of the JSE itself will upset the way Java handles other threads on your system, opening it up to a whole suite of problems that makes my life really hard when I am troubleshooting via email ^^

As far as stats go, are there any in particular that you would like to see? I will see if any of them are easy to implement, and the rest I will put on our to-do list.

Soldato
It was pumkinstew - and with bonic / theskynet causing slowdown in bonic

Just to expand on this:

I was running 4 instances of the web app on a 4 core AMD chip under Vista 64. Boinc was running 4 Einstein CPU apps and 1 GPU app and I noticed that Einstein WU run times had shot up (I think they nearly doubled).
I don't know if that was caused by fighting for CPU time or lots of switching in and out of RAM. (I think Einstein is a bit greedy on RAM, not sure)

I might try restricting Boinc to three cores and having one web app open to see what happens.

EDIT: thanks for hunting us out and actively contributing to the board Ageotas. Much appreciated.:) Anything to add on the Boinc/Skynet on the same machine topic?

Last edited:
Soldato
Setting the priority of your JSE is a bad idea.
Thanks for dropping by again Ageotas, its taking some getting used to all this attention from the projects admin, outstanding :)

Regarding setting priority of JSE, its not something I have done myself anyway, was just all I could think of to answer the posters question.

As far as stats go, are there any in particular that you would like to see? I will see if any of them are easy to implement, and the rest I will put on our to-do list.

For me overtake stats are a must have on any dc project, individual and team.

Individual and team averages are mighty useful too, if you can add any of these it would be cool :)

.....4 instances of the web app on a 4 core AMD chip under Vista 64. Boinc was running 4 Einstein CPU apps and 1 GPU app and I noticed that Einstein WU run times had shot up (I think they nearly doubled).

To me thats just too much on a quad, I have a quad running 4 boinc gpu tasks and 2 for the skynet, my average is still increasing.

Associate
Just got back from being out all day and noticed I've earned 0 credits, just me or anyone else getting this? Seems im not getting the green you are contributing symbol since maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom