Things I don't like (TIDL) thread

Soldato
Social media - I absolutely detest social media and firmly believe it's the biggest contributor to the decline in a healthy society and I can't fathom how it has been so poorly regulated.

It's so unhealthy, especially for younger people. These platforms have turned people into such egomaniacs, selling their lives because they feel they have to be perceived as being wealthy, well travelled, healthy/fit and with a large social circle. It's madness!

These were my favourite social media gems from my recent holiday:
  • Posed 'Candid' photos - Where girls get their other halves or friends to follow them around, taking pictures of them from behind as they stare into the distance whilst running their fingers through their hair.
  • The stupid bent leg pose - Why is this unnatural pose being used by majority of girls in photos? You know the one, straight leg whilst the other is bent 90 degrees so that their toe is touching the floor whilst the heel if lifted.
  • The insistence of being in every photo of everything - Oh isn't Saint Basil's Cathedral just beautiful? But you know what? I really need to be in the photo of it to prove that I was actually here, because otherwise people on my Instagram/Facebook feed might think I'm randomly posting a stock picture of Saint Basil's to my feed.
  • Everyone has to wait for you - I kid you not, someone was actually getting irate because people kept walking through their frame whilst trying to take of a photo of their friend. The problem? They were trying to take a photo just outside the exit to the Kremlin, with 100s of people walking through a corridor of metal fences every minute.
Because they are being ignorant!

If you want to stop and have a chat, have the simple courtesy to move to the side so you aren't obstructing every other person there!

It's not rocket science!

I agree with both of you there.

Man of Honour
Social media - I absolutely detest social media and firmly believe it's the biggest contributor to the decline in a healthy society and I can't fathom how it has been so poorly regulated.

Brilliant, why are you on here then :)
Everything that gets posted here is normally on Facebook but Facebook is less argumentative than here.

Permabanned
kids who are gullible believe that social media hype. or have ****** parents who don't teach them much grounding.
most social media personalities have self-admitted **** lives or troubles. That pewdiepie geezer is a recluse who lives in Brighton with his wife but has no other interests/hobbies other than playing games. Trisha Paytas has admitted mental health issues, and posts crying videos about how much she hates herself and her life, despite being one of the biggest Youtubers on Earth.
When I was a teen I never looked up to celebs or envied what some celeb did. I took it with a pinch of salt, and looking at what some celebs were/are up to from since when I was a teen (Spice Girls and early Big Brother) I've got little nay nothing to envy...

Caporegime
Because they are being ignorant!

If you want to stop and have a chat, have the simple courtesy to move to the side so you aren't obstructing every other person there!

It's not rocket science!

Neither is just communicating/pointing that out to them, deliberately shoulder barging someone because you think they’re “ignorant” seems like a bit of an autistic move and is rather “ignorant” in itself.

Soldato
Neither is just communicating/pointing that out to them, deliberately shoulder barging someone because you think they’re “ignorant” seems like a bit of an autistic move and is rather “ignorant” in itself.
It gets tiring. I literally would get a dry throat from the amount of "Sorry"s and "Excuse me"s on my commute. Started just making myself more visible instead, people soon get out the way.

Soldato
Brilliant, why are you on here then :)
Everything that gets posted here is normally on Facebook but Facebook is less argumentative than here.

Because I bought a 6800GT in 2004 if you want the absolute reason.

I disagree with you, here and Facebook couldn't be any different in my opinion but then again I rarely post in GD.

Soldato
When public toilets force you to take one individual sheet of toilet paper rather than allowing you to take an appropriate amount. Takes an age to wipe, you then give up which leads to a poorly wiped behind, skid marked boxers and an unpleasant experience for the people in seat 19A and 19C.
Edinburgh airport, I’m looking at you.

Soldato

Presumably the thing you don't like is people having their own way of dealing with things?

Just to clarify, I'm not going in like Jonah Lomu and wiping people out - I'm just illustrating a point by gently bumping into people - and only when it's the 5th or 6th occurrence in a short space of time!

Also, it's not me thinking they are being ignorant - it's when people are blatantly being *****!

Caporegime
When public toilets force you to take one individual sheet of toilet paper rather than allowing you to take an appropriate amount. Takes an age to wipe, you then give up which leads to a poorly wiped behind, skid marked boxers and an unpleasant experience for the people in seat 19A and 19C.
Edinburgh airport, I’m looking at you.
Be grateful if you have loo roll that is fit for purpose!

We have some kind of Schrodinger's toilet roll... the second you stop looking at it, it no longer exists.

Soldato
Job titles with 'engineer' in who are not an engineer.

If I do a 3 day first aid course then can I call myself a nurse? Of course not as it is insulting, but that is pretty much the same approach taken by the 'Sky Engineer' (Dish fitter).
I'm an electronic engineer and my title is Systems Engineer but we literally made that up before a promotion. I work on app development and broadcast systems, hardly engineering. Do I count? :p

I'm just trolling, it annoys me too.

Caporegime
Presumably the thing you don't like is people having their own way of dealing with things?

Just to clarify, I'm not going in like Jonah Lomu and wiping people out - I'm just illustrating a point by gently bumping into people - and only when it's the 5th or 6th occurrence in a short space of time!

Also, it's not me thinking they are being ignorant - it's when people are blatantly being *****!

Yeah I guess so, when something can be easily pointed out by communicating with people "hey guys, you're blocking the entrance a bit here" then I think deliberately bumping into them is a bad move and is just going to come off a bit angry little man-esq - instead of realising they're at fault they're just going to think "that was weird/unnecessarily aggressive".

Man of Honour
Yeah I guess so, when something can be easily pointed out by communicating with people "hey guys, you're blocking the entrance a bit here" then I think deliberately bumping into them is a bad move and is just going to come off a bit angry little man-esq - instead of realising they're at fault they're just going to think "that was weird/unnecessarily aggressive".

You haven't lived until you've tried to get music gear out of a pub at the end of the night.
It doesn't matter how many journeys you make the same people will block the door and all they hear for 15 minutes is a loud "Scuse please" followed by a little bump.

Soldato

Each to their own! I guess you are more mellow than me - as I've got older the general public seem to annoy me more and more! :p

ps. I don't think I've ever been thought of as an angry little man - I'm 6'4"! :D

Back
Top Bottom