Thinking of buying a 208 GTi

Soldato
Alright guys, I'm looking at a few cars currently, I'm open to ideas. I'm 27 years old, I don't have any no claims, I currently use my works van which is on a fleet insurance which should lower my cars insurance. I don't really need to drive long distance or many miles. I drive for a living but I'm sick of a 200K Transit Van so I'm after a car!

Anyway my budget is £7k to £12k. Lately I've been reading a lot on the Peugeot 208 GTI. It just looks perfect, fun to drive and filled with glowing reviews. Does anyone own one of these?

Here's a couple I've looked at.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Peugeo...%3Ae87b86a91590a2aba43b7b6cffb799ae%7Ciid%3A8

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-Peugeo...%3Af1f0aacc1590a7854edbc630ffa30042%7Ciid%3A7

The Fiesta ST is another option but 208 GTI looks a bit better IMO but I know I'd be playing it safe with a ST

Any advice guys!

Associate
I think it looks hideous and i couldn't personally bare to spend 7-12k on a peugeot.

What are you looking for exactly? im assuming it doesn't have to be practical as you have a van and you want something quick and fun to drive. With that sort of money and power id be looking at things like an s2000 but thats me.

Soldato
The Peugeot will be fast and fun. If you can afford one without taking inadvisable financial risks, then go for it. It looks like what I'd have been interested in when I was 27.

Soldato
The 208 is the better of the little hots.
The corsa vxr is terrible.
The clio sport is good.

Is it a newer 208 gti?

200 bhp in a tiny car = funn

Soldato
OP
I have never been a fan of Mini Coopers. As for the Renaults, I've looked at 200s but I don't fancy a paddle shifter gearbox, I'm pretty much after a full manual.

My mates 2007 Clio (97bhp) turned into a lemon after a few years and has been stuck in the garage for over 6 months now I don't think he even wants it back as the electrics went (airbag sensor). You need to have your car repaired with special codes nowadays sadly.

Ideally I would like to steer clear from Renault due to reliability problems down the line, I do feel like I'll have it better with Peugeot for some reason. We use Peugeot vans, Bippers and Partners (63-15 plates) and they never give use trouble and some are on 140K. My mate seems to think my 208 GTI will just become a money pit.

As for the BMW, I actually originally wanted a BMW 320D or 320D. I'm sort of still open to one it's just I'd imagine buying a naturally aspirated petrol engine to be more fun and better if Imy not traveling much. An upside to a 320D is I could give Uber a whirl as a second job.

Those links I posted aren't too far, I'm wondering if I should pay £8k for a 46k 2013 plate or £12.7k for a 2016 plate 10k. The 2016 one I linked looks like it has the panoramic sunroof too!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Last edited:
Soldato
...... I currently use my works van which is on a fleet insurance which should lower my cars insurance ....

You are making a huge assumption here. Use a comparison website to check anything you're seriously looking at buying. You may need to phone up for insurance as 'transfer' of history from a fleet can be tricky to manage from the usual details you fill into a web form.

Soldato
Our 2006 Clio 197 had it's fair share of issues, it was probably 7-8 years old when we had it and i was quite happy to see if go really as i didn't trust it long term at all. Various electrical issues, not very well screwed together etc.

I think the 208 is meant to be a very good car and was rather over shadowed by the Fiesta ST, though the Fiesta would be my personal choice they're meant to have a fairly stiff ride and the interior is nothing to write home about. I'd just be a bit dubious of it being French, in my personal experience of family and friends they just tend to have lots more issues than other cars.

Soldato
I drove the 208 GTI and Fiesta ST a couple of years back when I was looking last. They're both good, and from what I can tell Peugeot have got their act together somewhat compared to the dross they were knocking out 10 years ago. The interior of the 208 is maybe a little better, but it's not night and day.

I'd try and get a test drive in both and see how you feel then.

Soldato
I'm sort of still open to one it's just I'd imagine buying a naturally aspirated petrol engine to be more fun and better if Imy not traveling much.

The 208 GTI is a 1.6 turbo.

It's mean to be pretty good, though I'd go with the Fiesta rather than the 208 personally. I don't get on with the girlfriends 208 (non GTI admittedly).

Given the choice, I'd pick the Renaultsport Clio over either tbh.

Soldato
The Fiesta ST is another option but 208 GTI looks a bit better IMO but I know I'd be playing it safe with a ST

Any advice guys!

I think I'm in a position to give you some. I was tossing up both options back in August. Firstly a couple of opinions:

I prefer the look of the Pegeot over the Ford
I think the interior of the 208 is much better

Now a couple of facts:
The 208 GTi is MUCH rarer in the ST (I personally like this, infact in the end I got the 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport edition, so much much rarer!)

You will not get anywhere near the MPG either car says. Going by Parkers, ST is 47 and the GTi is 52. I get just under 40 in mine but the PS has a shorter final ratio, normal ones get anything from 40-45 depending how you drive it. No idea what real world figures are for the ST.

If you can get a post face lift model (May 2015 onwards) you get start stop, which means you save £20 a year on road tax over the ST (£110 vs £130 for ST/pre-facelift 208) but jump up a couple of insurance bands (pre facelift and ST are in group 30, new 208 in 32).

208's from November 2015 onwards (may be pushing it budget wise) also have Apple Carplay, which is nice if you have an iPhone.

208 has a bigger tank (50 vs 42)

I just liked the exclusiveness of the 208 GTi, and they don't look as mean as the ST. If you have any other 208 questions I'm happy to help where I can!

Last edited:
Associate
If you can get a post face lift model (May 2015 onwards) you get start stop, which means you save £20 a year on road tax over the ST (£110 vs £130 for ST/pre-facelift 208) but jump up a couple of insurance bands (pre facelift and ST are in group 30, new 208 in 32)

Kind of irrelevant on a car that's depreciating around 2k a year surely?

Associate
The ST is a no brainer if you ask me. I bought mine new almost 3 years ago an never looked back. Although if you prefer the looks and rarity of the 208 that might be a good reason to consider it. As others have said, test drive both (ideally on similar routes and get on the motorway) and see which you prefer. The ride in the ST is hard but never uncomfortable - unless you already have back problems you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom