Thinking of buying a 208 GTi

I can only think of PS4S and PS4 being "better" with CS6 arguably marginal, any more?

For track use perhaps but wet performance is important for a road tyre which would put them below both of the newer Michelin's, the CsC6, the F1A3 and probably the A2 and CSC5P too.

Test drove the £12699 car today and I have to say it was really nice. I didn't get to explore driving it much it being on a test drive but it was pretty fast driving and braking was insane.

It looked amazing, can't describe how good it.looked, I mean in the photos it looks red but it's not in real life its a deep orange. I didn't want to leave it haha!

I got there and they're trying to say they have put the price up to £12999 which I don't want to pay. I haven't bought it but I think they will offer me.it tomorrow at that price. I get a Peugeot warranty of 25months too.

I should try the Fiesta ST. For me the 208 Gti, I love the.orange colour and the sunroof too. They arent common either.

Tony Williams;30481199 said:
I might give the 63 plate 208 GTI a try too. It's 3 years older and has 40k miles more but lacks the orange colour and sunroof. It's £7.7k over £12.7k too. I'll try and find a local Fiesta ST too to test drive.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Peugeo...%3A1a83c45d15a0a6a5e3b40716fffed3ea%7Ciid%3A2

I would certainly recommend driving a Fiesta ST. I test drove both of these a few years back and decided to buy the Fiesta.

They do both have their pros and cons of course.

As pointed out the interior is nicer in the 208 in a lot of ways, but the seats are better in the Fiesta in my opinion, and the driving position/small steering wheel in the 208 isn't for everyone (again i felt more comfortable in the Fiesta).

I was buying new at at the time and the 208 only had 200bhp and the Fiesta could be upgraded and still keep its warranty with the MP215 kit so that was another pro for the Fiesta. Obviously buying used that isn't such a big deal as you could pick up an already upgraded MP215 or one of the newer 208's (although I think the ones with 208bhp are still pretty new).

Another thing if i remember correctly which put me off the 208 is that there was no way to get keyless entry/go which is probably my favourite piece of tech/spec in a car.

I personally think the Fiesta ST is a better looking car (exterior wise) as well but that is obviously entirely subjective.

They are both good cars but the Fiesta had better steering feel/handling than the standard pre facelift 208. There is a reason the Fiesta wins all the awards though. I cant comment on the facelift 208 or 208 by Peugeot Sport as I haven't driven one of those yet.

Jono8;30481796 said:
I would certainly recommend driving a Fiesta ST. I test drove both of these a few years back and decided to buy the Fiesta.

They do both have their pros and cons of course.

As pointed out the interior is nicer in the 208 in a lot of ways, but the seats are better in the Fiesta in my opinion, and the driving position/small steering wheel in the 208 isn't for everyone (again i felt more comfortable in the Fiesta).

I was buying new at at the time and the 208 only had 200bhp and the Fiesta could be upgraded and still keep its warranty with the MP215 kit so that was another pro for the Fiesta. Obviously buying used that isn't such a big deal as you could pick up an already upgraded MP215 or one of the newer 208's (although I think the ones with 208bhp are still pretty new).

Another thing if i remember correctly which put me off the 208 is that there was no way to get keyless entry/go which is probably my favourite piece of tech/spec in a car.

I personally think the Fiesta ST is a better looking car (exterior wise) as well but that is obviously entirely subjective.

They are both good cars but the Fiesta had better steering feel/handling than the standard pre facelift 208. There is a reason the Fiesta wins all the awards though. I cant comment on the facelift 208 or 208 by Peugeot Sport as I haven't driven one of those yet.

I agree on the small steering wheel not being for everyone. As a person on the smaller side though, I love it, and now whenever I drive my girlfriends normal Fiesta it feels weird. I think though this maybe because I play a lot of racing games with my Thrustmaster T300 steering wheel....which around the same size as the 208 :D

I also agree on looks being subjective, as the 208 looks better really ;)

It is a big plus to be able to upgrade an ST if you want to go down that route, but even 180hp in the ST (the overclock/boost thing doesn't count :p ) is enough to have fun with in a hot hatch anyway!

carrot1401;30482821 said:
but even 180hp in the ST (the overclock/boost thing doesn't count :p ) is enough to have fun with in a hot hatch anyway!

This is why I struggle to imagine what it's like driving something seriously quick on UK roads. My ST is twice as powerful as anything else I've ever driven (including the overboost :p) Any type of straight road A/B road and you're at 80/90mph in to time. Twisties.. can't see how anything faster is needed at all!

Maybe that would change if I drive something faster but for now I can't see why I would need to.

Technically not, but at the same time it does. From what I understand it's 200hp when not in first and second, foot to floor, for max of 20 seconds. If after 20 you're still flat to floor it reduces the boost, but a simple blip of off throttle and back on starts the timer again.

Think we'll have to call this one on personal preference ;)

If you're still foot to the floor after 20 seconds in 4th or above (considering after far less than that you'd be doing 80 in 3rd) you might have more to worry about than whether the bhp figure "counts" :p

Thats ok, selling it as less HP than it has (due to EU regs) is good for insurance premiums ;)

Most cars won't give you max bhp/torque in low gears. To protect the clutch.

Nasher;30483796 said:
Thats ok, selling it as less HP than it has (due to EU regs) is good for insurance premiums ;)

Most cars won't give you max bhp/torque in low gears. To protect the clutch.

This is very true, I think it's a couple below the 208 GTi, can go towards that upgrade kit you need to catch up ;)

In all seriousness, both cars are great, and at the budget you're looking at, it's a question of which you like better, both inside and out, plus which one you can get a great 2nd hand deal on!

EDIT: As someone else put it on another forum, if you need to floor it for more than 20 seconds you're either on the ring or running away from the cops...

Thanks for all the replies guys. I saw a really nice 208 GTI yesterday in Crewe. Compared to my other option it's £3K cheaper but it's not the prestige trim, it's black (still nice) and it's 4 years old. The guy yesterday gave me the key and let me have a good look at it so today I'm gonna test drive it. It's only done 16th miles too.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Peugeo...3A22c53dcc15a0a6a8f56bb0bdfffd9a28%7Ciid%3A18

My only perk is I don't think it has a manufacturer warranty. It passed it's MOTs. The garage offer a 3 month warranty with it and they do an extended warranty for £250/15 months.

For the price of £10k it's good but should I offer a bit less and see if I can get an extended warranty covered? So £10K but they do the £250 too?

Tony Williams;30486483 said:
My only perk is I don't think it has a manufacturer warranty. It passed it's MOTs. The garage offer a 3 month warranty with it and they do an extended warranty for £250/15 months.

For the price of £10k it's good but should I offer a bit less and see if I can get an extended warranty covered? So £10K but they do the £250 too?

Did it have any services during that time too? It would have only had 1 MOT? Or maybe 2 (can never remember how many years after buying a new car you need an MOT!)

Also, since it's £9975 and you'll be going in at £10k with the warranty, it's effectively "loosing" them £225. I'd be surprise if they reject that. 16k miles in 3 years isn't much either!

Tony Williams;30486483 said:

Just be aware that legally the garage has a responsibility to fix any problems for a period of 6 months (unless they can prove the fault was something caused by you) under the Consumer rights act - so a 3 month warranty is essentially rubbish anyway.

If it's not a main dealer, then any extended warranty will be with a 3rd party e.g. warrantywise etc, so worth checking exactly who it is with (e.g. for reviews of the company), and also what exactly is covered.

Back
Top Bottom