Thinking of buying a 208 GTi

Caporegime
The problem with the 208 gti is the Fiesta St... there's no good reason to buy the Peugeot over the St.

The GT86 on the other hand.... wins hands down for me

The 208 Gti by peugeot sport has Brembo monoblock calipers, are proper mechanical diff and power boosted to 210bhp. The Fiesta ST can not get close to that. I personally prefer the looks of the 208gti. The Fiesta is a ten a penny car in comparison.

Soldato
GT86 is a weird one when you look at the figures. 0-62 (EU figure) is only 7.6sec, but 0-60 (US figures) is well under 7 sec. I think it's to do with the very short gearing and theres a shift right after 60mph. It's not as slow as some expect and it only weighs about the same as a Fiesta.

But yea I owned a Fiesta ST mk7 and I'd never buy a 208gti over it, the Fiesta is just better if you don't mind the harder suspension. Stick an extra £600 in to it and get the MP215 kit fitted. Or go all out and get the MR265 and it will go like an absolute rocket.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you drive it like I do, you will go through front tyres between every 6-10 months. Replacements are approx. £130 per corner. I've also needed new discs and pads after 2 years. Other than this, I love it.

Sounds like the long term ownership costs aren't going to be cheaper than the ST then if it falls apart that quick!

Caporegime
GT86 is a weird one when you look at the figures. 0-62 (EU figure) is only 7.6sec, but 0-60 (US figures) is well under 7 sec. I think it's to do with the very short gearing and theres a shift right after 60mph. It's not as slow as some expect and it only weighs about the same as a Fiesta.

But yea I owned a Fiesta ST mk7 and I'd never buy a 208gti over it, the Fiesta is just better if you don't mind the harder suspension. Stick an extra £600 in to it and get the MP215 kit fitted. Or go all out and get the MR265 and it will go like an absolute rocket.

The 208 can also be remapped to 250BHP with just a map yet the Fiesta will not have the big Brembo calipers nor the mechanical differential. At launch you might have a comparison but the new Peugeot Sport is so much better.

Associate
I like Turbo cars personally as big gains in performance is easy but the GT86 was deffo on my list when i was looking but at that budget your limited to high mileage cars.

I wen't for a Megane RS250 and mapped it straight to 300hp, love it but i also loved the Golf GTI i had before it. 2011 meg RS is around 12k and widely considered the best handling from wheel drive car of the last decade (cup version). Older Renault's have terrible wiring problems but the 250 has none of those issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 208 can also be remapped to 250BHP with just a map yet the Fiesta will not have the big Brembo calipers nor the mechanical differential. At launch you might have a comparison but the new Peugeot Sport is so much better.

The ST's brakes are pretty good, they are Ferodo I think. Even without an LSD the ST still handles better. But you can get one for about £700, plus Mountune upgrade (warranty friendly) and it will still be a cheaper car new.

Then we have resale value. Fast Fords hold their value, Peugeots don't.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The ST's brakes are pretty good, they are Ferodo I think. Even without an LSD the ST still handles better. But you can get one for about £700, plus Mountune upgrade (warranty friendly) and it will still be a cheaper car new.

Then we have resale value. Fast Fords hold their value, Peugeots don't.

Please go drive a FWD car with a mechanical LSD and a standard open unit. It is like night and day difference no matter how good the chassis is.

ST brakes might be pretty good but they are not this good and yes the wheels are shod in Pilot Super Sports.

28v7s7r.jpg

The only fast Fords that hold their value are RS models and Cosworths. Look at MK6 ST's, MK1 ST170, Mondeo ST220. All cheap as chips. Don't get me wrong the Fiesta offers Value for money but saying it is some wonder pill compared to the competition is simply wrong.

Soldato
The Peugeot interior is massively better than the fiesta and along with the points made above about brakes and Lsd it's definitely a better choice in my eyes too.

Fiesta St is epic and loved by all, but it's very common and a worse place to spend any real length of time.

The pug is a great car and an overdue return to real Gtis again.

But again... I'd rather have megane RS ;)

Caporegime
I assume you've driven both cars and you're not just reading off a spec sheet? Pilot Super Sports aren't that great.

Fiesta is lighter and brakes hard enough, the car will brake the inside wheel if needed and won't stray from the line you want to take even if you boot it.

This is why I said drive both, Fiesta feels more direct, Peugeot a bit softer. I'd rather pick a car on how it drives and feels rather than assuming one is better than the other because it has a mechanical LSD and brakes made by brembo.

Soldato
The 208 Gti by peugeot sport has Brembo monoblock calipers, are proper mechanical diff and power boosted to 210bhp. The Fiesta ST can not get close to that. I personally prefer the looks of the 208gti. The Fiesta is a ten a penny car in comparison.

Wrong on the power front. All face lifted 208s have 208PS which in old money terms is 205bhp. Just the gearing makes it quicker. The older versions gave "only" 200bhp and no start stop.

Anyway, given how new the PS is I think budget wise it is out of reach for OP here...

Soldato
OP
My original plan was to go for a 2L Diesel, ideally a BMW 320D and double it up as an Uber as a second job. Sort of thought if just buying a car for myself instead now.

I'm trying to opt for the 208 GTI prestige model. Is the May 2015+ face-lift model much better than the previous ones?

It's between £8k 2013 46K miles 208 GTI or spend more £13k and get a 16 plate with 10k miles but it will be the prestige model instead. Also it will be orange instead of red etc

Soldato
. Look at MK6 ST's, MK1 ST170, Mondeo ST220. All cheap as chips.

Of course they are, they're ancient and were sold in great numbers. I think you're taking 'hold their value' far too literally. No one is saying an st180 is still going to be worth 10k in 5 years time.

By virtue of the fact a number of people have claimed the Peugeot is the one to go for because it's cheaper, that agrees with the Ford holding its value better.

Soldato
OP
Does the 208 GTI Prestige have a limited slip differential or a torsen, or is that only the 30th edition?

I'm gonna go down to Manchester in a few hours and see if I can test drive one. I'll call them first and see if they still have it.

Caporegime
Does the 208 GTI Prestige have a limited slip differential or a torsen, or is that only the 30th edition?

I'm gonna go down to Manchester in a few hours and see if I can test drive one. I'll call them first and see if they still have it.

Only the 30th and "by peugeot sport" have them. Although the facelift GTI's do get the 208 bhp engine iirc.

Soldato
LSD is only a grand fitted to the Fiesta hardly a deal breaker if you really want to drive one that hard.

Never had any traction issues on the ones I drove but a plate diff on my 205gti6 was incredible!

Back
Top Bottom