Thinking of buying a 208 GTi

this looks like it could be problems, the 3 month warranty sounds like a crappy garage warranty who will argue the death of you if you need to claim.

also not being funny but for 10k that car looks crap.

wedrum;30486749 said:
this looks like it could be problems, the 3 month warranty sounds like a crappy garage warranty who will argue the death of you if you need to claim.

also not being funny but for 10k that car looks crap.

How? Interested on your thoughts as to why a 3 year old car with 16k on the clock and a decent feature set looks crappy??!?! I've already done 5k in my 5 month old car!

wedrum;30486776 said:
look at it, it looks terrible.
i would rather have something that 6 years old and premium for that money and looks the part.

Phew, you're basing your conclusion on the looks which we've already discussed are subjective. Thought you'd found an actual problem! :rolleyes:

The warranty is worthless.
At 255 that will be a very cheap warranty from a 3rd party.

A decent warranty for 15 months is around £600 from a 3rd party.

I wouldn't bother

I went to the garage yesterday for test drive and they pretty much gave me the keys and let me take it away no licence or anything, I didn't want to bring it back! The car is pretty fast there's no doubt about that. I agree 3 months is awful they should giving 1 year free on all cars for peace of mind. That's off putting.

So anyway I've got two Fiesta STs to have a look at and another 208 GTI. This other GTI looks promising as it's a lot cheaper, it's been serviced and had new tyres, it has a manufacturer warranty too! It has however done 47K miles!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Peug...045620?hash=item4b106bc5b4:g:i6UAAOSw6WdXiOF5

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-13-FORD-FIESTA-1-6-ST-2-3D-180-BHP-/172493942139?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Tony Williams;30489237 said:
I agree 3 months is awful they should giving 1 year free on all cars for peace of mind. That's off putting.

Read my above post - essentially all used cars from a dealer have 6 months "warranty" whether they state it or not, although yes you may have to exercise your consumer rights to get things done.

If small dealers offered 1 year warranty on everything then you would be paying for it anyway.

The other "trick" with small dealers, is that they lure you into buying an extended warranty e.g. warrantywise etc, and then if something goes wrong within the first 6 months they then expect you to claim via your 3rd party warranty rather than fixing the problem themselves as is required.

Tony Williams;30489237 said:
This other GTI looks promising as it's a lot cheaper, it's been serviced and had new tyres, it has a manufacturer warranty too!

6 months (or just over) manufacturer warranty isn't really a selling point, given that your consumer rights cover you for 6 months anyway.

6 months (or just over) manufacturer warranty isn't really a selling point, given that your consumer rights cover you for 6 months anyway.

It's a massive selling point IMO.

Firstly, it takes a lot of the stress and worry out of the purchase because you know that *if* something bad was wrong with it, the previous owner would have already taken it in to be fixed FOC. Secondly, you also drive away and know that, unlike your consumer rights, the 6 months manufacturers warranty carries a huge amount of weight and that if something was wrong, you'd be able to take it to any Peugeot dealer and it'd likely be done FOC with all genuine parts - hassle free. If you tried to claim from a small trader under your consumer rights, you are almost certainly going to have a big fight on your hands, which will take months of your time, solicitors letters and the trader finally bodging any repair that he'd be forced to make.

Your 6 months consumer rights are no where NEAR a match for a 6 month manufacturers warranty.

Back
Top Bottom