Thinking of getting an EV

Soldato
funnily enough by absolute coincidence i just listened to this podcast with Quentin Wilson from the Stop BS campaign. (i actually have not got to the end yet)

however 16:40 mins in he is talking about introducing a mandate to allow you to go to a garage and get a battery healthcheck and get a certificate showing it to use when selling the car, which is exactly on point for this .

LOL. I've never really had any time for Willson if I'm honest but he's clearly on an agenda and raking up gutter media comments and giving them a wider audience is simply self feeding his campaign. Within a minute of the clip you posted he cements his loss of credibility with his own ICE FUD.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am torn on QW..... he definitely likes to big himself up, and there is a lot of self congratulating in all his videos............. however regardless of that I do support the Stop BS agenda and over all i think his message is a good one.
I did cringe however when he was banging on about the cost of servicing an ICE car.... using a bloody rolls royce i think it was as an example!...... of course that cost a fortune! but its hardly a representative example of a petrol car!.

Fully Charged however I am generally a fan off.... admittedly i prefered the older stuff, and losing Jonny Smith was a massive loss (but then we now have the late brake show which is really good so its not all bad).

Last edited:
Soldato
I am torn on QW..... he definitely likes to big himself up, and there is a lot of self congratulating in all his videos............. however regardless of that I do support the Stop BS agenda and over all i think his message is a good one.

Fully Charged however I am generally a fan off.... admittedly i prefered the older stuff, and losing Jonny Smith was a massive loss (but then we now have the late brake show which is really good so its not all bad).
The pair of them annoy me because I'm totally for vehicles going electric but if you listen to the language they use and the terminology it is borderline condescending against the unconverted. They also talk such nonsense. In that video alone we had such revelations as; A Tesla has cheaper running costs than a Rolls Royce or a Bentley. A Nissan Leaf cost nothing to maintain... ignoring the battery replacement. A petrol car with 100k miles on the clock is probably running at less than 10% efficiency...

They go on about how batteries aren't an issue and then state that it should be mandated that you can get a SOH report from Kwik Fit.

No. It shouldn't. People will realise over time that battery degradation isn't an issue. The only reason that this is in peoples heads in the first place is due to the batteries in the i-MiEv's and Leafs that "pioneers" like those two gallantly pottered around in had crappy ranges that after less than 100k are at the point where they are unusable.

Their agenda is self supported by their own broadcasting of media comments. The fact that those who come across the most media noise about anti-EV sentiment are those who are pro-EV is simply due to the personalised media bubbles that we all live in. Ignore it and it will go away, simple as that.

Associate
The loan was more favourable for sure. Probably about a half to two thirds the cost over 5 years if taking account of the residual value.

And that's fine but what it doesn't recognise is the short term uplift in cost (to pay the loan repayments on quite a large loan).

I balanced the best whole life option against the option that wouldn't change my current costs too much and decided to go for the lease option on that basis.
The decision has been made!
Huzzah!
Hope you have the best time with your new vehicle, enjoy!

Soldato
Need some pictures of it ! - nice example touring with an inline 6 could be appreciating (.. remind us what was wrong with it )

My neighbours with salary sacrifice & PCP spend a lot of time cleaning their cars - I've not figured out if you feel more obliged to take care of it than you would for a car you HP'd
so, potentially you need to spend on a wardrobe of detailing products

Soldato
Need some pictures of it ! - nice example touring with an inline 6 could be appreciating (.. remind us what was wrong with it )

My neighbours with salary sacrifice & PCP spend a lot of time cleaning their cars - I've not figured out if you feel more obliged to take care of it than you would for a car you HP'd

I nearly spat out my coffee reading this, given the BVRLA guidelines you'll find that people treat their PCH/SS cars with hand carwash levels of care, and something you've HP'd that you *OWN* is taken care of better.

Soldato

Haha mate my salary sacrifice PUG is a literal van.

Man of Honour
I never understood this idea that the method of funding determines the level of care.

You either care about your car and want it to look nice or you don't, regardless of the way you've decided is best to pay for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I never understood this idea that the method of funding determines the level of care.

You either care about your car and want it to look nice or you don't, regardless of the way you've decided is best to pay for it.

I agree, but he got it exactly the opposite way around to how in *theory* it would work. Some people go "Oh, this cost a lot of money and it belongs to me I'll happily spend money on it to look after my asset" and others will be "Well it's not mine, and it's going back in 2 years why should I spend money paying to have it cleaned." and every variation of those.

Soldato
I remember first keying of 2yr old 3touring, DIY touch up job , which I'm sure I wouldn't have contemplated on PCP, and would represent hassle on SS.
Kintsugi, yes, + wanting to learn skills - but didn't want hassle of 3 panels repainted and insurance hike.

Haha mate my salary sacrifice PUG is a literal van.
Your new garden shed is up to Carlsberg standards, so your van might have a lot of TLC

Soldato

Na. SS isn't my car; thus it gets less day-to-day care but will get painted/touch-ups when its due return. The E43 is my car; this gets better day-to-day care but will not get painted/touch-ups, as its just patina/battle scars.

Soldato

I think company cars are the grey area for this. I don't go out of my way to not care for my one but likewise it goes through petrol station car washes and gets parked wherever is convenient. Makes me wonder what the general quality of used EVs are like as they are primarily coming off fleet.

Our previous salesman was quite impressive with how much damage he could do to a brand new car within 12 months.

Last edited:
Soldato
The last car I owned (Model 3) got a decent wash every month and any marks touched up/polished out fairly regularly. The Model Y we have on SS… doesn’t.

That said I do keep the interior clean though, who likes sitting in a dirty car?

I was annoyed when the Model 3 got its first massive stone chip. The Model Y got one within a week, I shrugged as it was within the acceptable damage criteria and will not be getting touched in.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's an interesting topic - personally, I like to keep my cars looking nice and that wouldn't really change whether I was paying for it cash, on PCP, as a company car, as a SS lease or whatever - it's still costing me a lot of money and so i'm not going to treat it like crap - if I wanted to treat a car like crap, i'd be buying a cheap shed for as little as possible.

Back
Top Bottom