Thinking of getting an EV

Soldato
It's an interesting topic - personally, I like to keep my cars looking nice and that wouldn't really change whether I was paying for it cash, on PCP, as a company car, as a SS lease or whatever - it's still costing me a lot of money and so i'm not going to treat it like crap - if I wanted to treat a car like crap, i'd be buying a cheap shed for as little as possible.
Every car is a cheap shed in the fullness of time :)

Soldato
I've never had an expensive car but i have had, for my station in life anyway :cry: fairly nice cars, Honda DC5 when it was 5 years old an an Impreza STi which was 5 years old at the time but i rarely ever washed them and certainly never cared about where i parked them or if someone hit it with a trolley in Tesco's.

If i had the cash to splash on a more expensive car i can't see that changing, to me cars are just a tool for a job be it getting me from A to B or something to do track days in, i personally couldn't care less if its covered in scratches or mud or whatever as long as the fundamental mechanics of the car are good and it's not actively rusting the body work away. It'd still get parked as close as i can or stuffed into a hedge on the tiny lanes near where i live to pass the delivery driver in his battered van.

Saying that i did treat my 14 year old shed to the £7 hand car wash at the local immigrant car wash the other week, first time its been washed in about 5 years i think.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not keeping it too clean may mean it get's less theft/break in attention, and, the shiny happy cars aren't parking next to you in supermarket afraid of dings.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Our previous salesman was quite impressive with how much damage he could do to a brand new car within 12 months.

One of the sales directors at a company I deal with is the same, its like the car spends its life in downtown baghdad :p

My company car gets pampered for 2-3 years then the final year its normally picked up that many chips that its just not worth bothering with, in the last month it normally gets a full front end paint and all the wheels get tidied up. I may not be paying for it, but its still my car for the term.

Soldato
I can't say I wash/wax my car as often as I should , maybe once every few months in summer and once in total over winter
my wife's car I wash even less. this is me owning our cars.

it would be the same if I leased or have a company car. dents , damage and other stuff however I would be careful with them regardless of who owned the vehicle. a bit of muck is ok, it washes off and no one is the wiser but physical damage isn't. who owns the car is irrelevant to me.

that said wear and tear happens.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not keeping it too clean may mean it get's less theft/break in attention, and, the shiny happy cars aren't parking next to you in supermarket afraid of dings.

Confirmed, as seen from my workhorse mobile :D

Inside it looks pretty clean and un-worn, but I left the dents on the outside and haven't bothered sanding/polishing my paint repairs on it so it has random Matt patches. Gets washed maybe twice a year. I've seen people park next to me, take a look and move lol.

Not having to worry about the car is pretty liberating tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not having to worry about the car is pretty liberating tbh.
this v true . I went from having cars I loved, to having a work horse that whilst mechanically looked after I was not precious over , and now back to a nice car again, and I forgot how stressful I find it having what for me is a significant portion of my lovely hood tied into it

not enough to not own it .... but there are times parked in dodgy areas or driving down some overgrown barely fit for vehicles narrow road that I wish I was in my old (1st gen) nissan QQ

(or just last weekend driving for 90mins with an 8 year old with deli belly with a sick bucket in the back

Last edited:
Soldato
this v true . I went from having cars I loved, to having a work horse that whilst mechanically looked after I was not precious over , and now back to a nice car again, and I forgot how stressful I find it having what for me is a significant portion of my lovely hood tied into it

not enough to not own it .... but there are times parked in dodgy areas or driving down some overgrown barely fit for vehicles narrow road that I wish I was in my old (1st gen) nissan QQ

(or just last weekend driving for 90mins with an 8 year old with deli belly with a sick bucket in the back
Don't you own your iPace tho? You only answer to yourself. My E43 has some rashes from people parking poorly next to it, when I lived without a driveway. It is just part of its story. It isn't like I am selling it anytime soon. I feel liberated vs. previous cars where I'd chase every stone chip etc. It is my work horse that is maintained to the highest standard; but I'm not getting brain fog over body work.

Interior is also spot on and immaculate, as that's in my control.

Back
Top Bottom