This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Got approached for a job on LinkedIn and they wanted to interview me in the same week.

Travelled 55 miles for the interview, got there, went really well they even said they'll put an acceptance offer in straight away.

Leave thinking everything is going well, get a phone call 10 minutes later saying that the position has already been filled.

What a waste of ****ING time, now that I look back at the interview it made sense because they kept mentioning if I was interested in other positions before the interview began so they bloody well knew.

That would really rub me up the wrong way! After all of that!

Caporegime
Got approached for a job on LinkedIn and they wanted to interview me in the same week.

Travelled 55 miles for the interview, got there, went really well they even said they'll put an acceptance offer in straight away.

Leave thinking everything is going well, get a phone call 10 minutes later saying that the position has already been filled.

What a waste of ****ING time, now that I look back at the interview it made sense because they kept mentioning if I was interested in other positions before the interview began so they bloody well knew.

How different were the alternate positions?

I guess I'd be inclined to bill them for travel expenses at a minimum for pulling something like that tbh...

bJN

bJN

Soldato
So first year contracting as Ltd coming up to an end, and client wants to extend for another 12 months, which is good stuff. I've got the itch to move on though, it's not all fun and games in the current position and an alternative permanent job has appeared, same company but different area (ish, oil and gas after all).

Permanent job also gives the opportunity to relocate which I may need to do if the fiancée lands a job she's interested in...

So naturally CV has been put in and see what comes. :D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

How different were the alternate positions?

I guess I'd be inclined to bill them for travel expenses at a minimum for pulling something like that tbh...
You could try but I've seen some employers that specifically state they won't compensate for travel etc.

However, if they made you drive 110 miles got your hopes up and black-balled you then it's worth speaking to someone to basically call them out on it.

Underboss
Interview in the private sector next week, not sure what to expect as I've been a Civil Servant for a long time.

Sizeable pay rise and opportunity so I'm slightly nervous.

Second interview next week, the first went very well - felt on a high once I'd left, even allowed myself a little fist pump.

Soldato
You could try but I've seen some employers that specifically state they won't compensate for travel etc.

However, if they made you drive 110 miles got your hopes up and black-balled you then it's worth speaking to someone to basically call them out on it.

I was thinking of messaging the person that sent me a private message on LinkedIn however I don't want to burn any bridges, even though I'm not a massive fan of the career and I don't plan on sticking around for too long. I wouldn't want to annoy anyone just in case a future career change doesn't work out.

Basically I'm being a cuckold :(

Caporegime

I guess it depends how much he'd want to work there in future, he could certainly escalate things. It is one thing to state they don't compensate for travel, it is another to cause someone to waste time and money pursuing a job they didn't actually have a valuable.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I guess it depends how much he'd want to work there in future, he could certainly escalate things. It is one thing to state they don't compensate for travel, it is another to cause someone to waste time and money pursuing a job they didn't actually have a valuable.
Absolutely, but I still think it’s worth letting them know that they’ve wasted your time.

Being honest that you’ve lost out at their expense isn’t going to burn any bridges if you keep calm and be firm. Wording it that “I’m disappointed that I made the journey, when it seems clear the decision to fill the position had been decided. I was excited at the opportunity to interview but financially it has left a sour taste in my mouth”. You can come up with something better, but you get the gist.

Ringing them up and calling them all ******* is probably not the tactic I was recommending :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
I meant in terms of pursuing compensation for travel if they state it isn’t their policy. I don’t see a problem at all with highlighting that he’s had his time wasted.

Soldato
Next week is my last week of working Sun-Thurs in London at one of our clients sites, thank God for that. Was tempted with a move to the capital but the salary increase wasn't enough to cover the same lifestyle I can afford in Manchester on my current wage. Plus Manchester is very much alive as a Digital Tech Hub these days, and lots of opportunities if this company goes south which is very unlikely. I'm fed up of Hotels and Restaurants.

Soldato
Had my annual appraisal this week, went very well, we were talking for just under two hours.

I managed to get a lot off my chest and made it clear what I wanted, as did my line manager, and we covered a lot of ground. I believe some things are going to improve, but that might be a fools hope.

Long and short of it is, I'm comfortable, but I'm not necessarily on the wage I believe I should be on. I've been there almost four years now and it's the longest I've stuck it out with any company in my career to date.

I explained how I'm approached my recruiters quite often about jobs paying 20% more, and that we need to discuss this in the near future. A couple of hours later my line manager offered a 2.5% increase, citing this is the best that they could offer at the moment. I expressed my gratitude, albeit through gritted teeth, and went about my way.

OCUK, what do you make of this? Insult, or should I be thankful for now? Do I wait it out a bit, or start perhaps applying for jobs immediately? FWIW I'd like to stay, but I know my worth, and it's more than what I'm on now.

I also brought up lack of bonus at Christmas, that many other folk got (£1k), and asked what I could do to put me in the running the next time bonuses are awarded (I went about it politely, I'd like to think). I've now been given said bonus and told it will be in April's pay. I think to myself, why wasn't this awarded back then?

Thanks for reading, any advice welcome as always.

Caporegime
It depends really. Obviously they have budgets allocated to staff increases etc. Which is where that 2.5% came from but I would say its unreasonable to expect a 20% increase off the bat just because you expressed that you're getting approached regarding jobs with that kind of pay. It also depends on how long you've been expressing what you feel is your worth.

Is this your first time bringing it up?

Have you discussed this on previous meetings/reviews and been met with the same promises and nothing done?

Being approached about and directly getting an offer are two very different things. Remember that.

The only thing which raises eyebrows for me is the bonus. Did you ask why it wasn't awarded back with everyone else?

Soldato
It depends really. Obviously they have budgets allocated to staff increases etc. Which is where that 2.5% came from but I would say its unreasonable to expect a 20% increase off the bat just because you expressed that you're getting approached regarding jobs with that kind of pay. It also depends on how long you've been expressing what you feel is your worth.

Is this your first time bringing it up?

Have you discussed this on previous meetings/reviews and been met with the same promises and nothing done?

Being approached about and directly getting an offer are two very different things. Remember that.

The only thing which raises eyebrows for me is the bonus. Did you ask why it wasn't awarded back with everyone else?

Hi Phate, thanks for the input.

It's been brought up at least three times in the past. I had actually secured another senior role in another company in 2017, but my current company convinced me to stay with an increased salary and promised challenges etc. Some have come about, many haven't, hence my desire to move on in some ways.

You're quite right that being approached vs a hard offer are different things, it does help to remember that. However it does show what my considered role in an active market is worth, that 20% is at the bottom of what I'm being approached about. It's up to me to action such requests and make a move on them, and find out my true worth. I'm just wondering if that's going to burn my bridges with the current company, whom I could see myself having a good relationship with for a long while.

No right or wrong answer, I'm just a little conflicted.

Yeah, the bonus was a right bummer, I actually discussed it in this thread/sub-forum as I was quite "upset" about it, for lack of a better word. It hurt my confidence, especially as junior members of the team received one, and I didn't. My line manager said me questioning this had "taken him by surprise", and that there is little "rhyme of reason as to why bonuses are paid". I felt a little insulted by this notion.

My benchmarks against the framework we apply for appraisals is 5/5 across the board.

Caporegime
I get the frustration. You've been there 4 years, you want to grow and progress your career. You want to stay where you are but its hard to ignore other potentials of 20%+ increase in the salary. That is enough to make a difference to your lifestyle. Also it isn't just about money, you mention challenges...it sounds like you're unfulfilled in your current role?

I get the impression (as it has been brought up in the past) that the company wants you but either doesn't have the budget or want to pay the extra for someone like you. It becomes a repeating scenario of you voice your concerns, management listens, tries to address them as politically they can, make small changes in hopes it offsets this for the time being but unless a big change happens, it is inevitable it will keep repeating. Are there any senior opportunities within your current company? which you could look at moving into? That way you maintain a good relationship with where you are but you still get the new challenge and financial gain as well.

Regarding the burning the bridges comment. Ultimately the only way you will do that is if you handed in your notice and you basically stopped working until your notice period was over. All you can ever do on that side is hand it in and carry on as you normally would for the notice period and where possible, go above and beyond. If it turns sour grapes due to management responding badly, well that shows where you really stood after all this time anyway. So don't panic about that.

What is it you do, if you don't mind me asking?

The bonus thing still has a big question mark for me. Its a response without a reply. They've given you an answer without an answer. Also I wouldn't hold much confidence in a manager who states what he gave you when asked for a reason. So bonuses are pot luck by that reason given? lol I would be annoyed as well.

Soldato
Thanks for reading, any advice welcome as always.

They're running a business. If they can get you to stay for 2.5% they will. You need to start going for those 20% jobs. It's not personal; it's business. And that cuts both ways. But don't forget that that extra salary can be quickly eaten up by tax, national insurance, commuting costs, and so on. Be hard-headed and run the numbers.

Man of Honour
I know people who earn that so yes, but they do have to go to London a few times a month.
I wouldn't mind going to London now and then, but would prefer working from home over 50% of the time. I think I need to progress beyond doing and into management or sales to get into 3 figures. Contracting is all well and good but I'm wanting something more stable after the current contract. One option I guess is to join the PSO team with VMware which wouldn't be far off, then push for promotion in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom