This Business and Moment...

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Can’t remember if you’d said you’d worked there before, but wondering if there’s anything going at the likes of IBM as they cover most things.

Challenge could be what’s available in country, or remote.

Soldato
Can’t remember if you’d said you’d worked there before, but wondering if there’s anything going at the likes of IBM as they cover most things.

Challenge could be what’s available in country, or remote.

Seven more applications today - including IBM.

I've not traditionally thought of IBM due to their culture. However it seems they're attempting to change that.. so worth a shot.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I've not traditionally thought of IBM due to their culture. However it seems they're attempting to change that.. so worth a shot.

The culture honestly isn’t that bad in my opinion, more so now the services arm got spun out.

Such a large business it really does depend on where inside you end up.

I was there a reasonable amount of time and culture was never an issue, I actually had it stupidly good there.

Still think it’s a good place to work, but that some people might not like it.

Soldato
OP
That's what I'm going to go with to be fair. Try and bridge that gap. It's just baffling how blind such "senior" people can be, so often.
I was asked about this yesterday before our leadership meeting. I was like yea sure, I have something I can present in your format (I didn't), so knocked it up in the start of the meeting in a few minutes when everyone was giving their life updates. Funnily enough went down really well. God their obsession with fitting things in tiny boxes is insane. Hey ho, it worked out.

Soldato
I was asked about this yesterday before our leadership meeting. I was like yea sure, I have something I can present in your format (I didn't), so knocked it up in the start of the meeting in a few minutes when everyone was giving their life updates. Funnily enough went down really well. God their obsession with fitting things in tiny boxes is insane. Hey ho, it worked out.

Sounds like every powerpoint/excel "form" for consumption.

Part of what I like about Bezo's style is that he wants a document up front, to be read before the meeting and then the decision in the meeting. It limits the presentation rambling and the lack of "fit in a box" also increases the picture around the numbers.

Soldato
Have a recruiter interested in a large company opportunity (100% remote) and inside IR35. Still, the money is better than being FTE. Fingers crossed.

Soldato
OP
Have a recruiter interested in a large company opportunity (100% remote) and inside IR35. Still, the money is better than being FTE. Fingers crossed.

Good luck man.

I had a call with a recruiter yesterday afternoon after they contacted me on LinkedIn for a CPO role at a blockchain company. He wants to put me forward today, so see what that's about. I wasn't looking. I just had him reach out to me on LI, so nothing off me if it doesn't work out. It'd have to be pretty special to match my pension and everything. I said I was on 180k CHF with 22% bonus, which didn't seem an issue so we will see if they want a call or not.

Soldato
Good luck man.

I had a call with a recruiter yesterday afternoon after they contacted me on LinkedIn for a CPO role at a blockchain company. He wants to put me forward today, so see what that's about. I wasn't looking. I just had him reach out to me on LI, so nothing off me if it doesn't work out. It'd have to be pretty special to match my pension and everything. I said I was on 180k CHF with 22% bonus, which didn't seem an issue so we will see if they want a call or not.

Good luck.

The application went in this am, and I'm also applying to a role for next week, reporting to group CTO. Should have the application and cover letter in place this weekend. Accountable people jumps from 70 to 3000. However you don't get anything unless you ask and go for it.

Soldato
First week in my new job complete, so far, so good.

Better onboard process than my last job, as management have given me clear direction on what they want me to do. I am not sitting at my desk clicking away at random stuff. I have a nice view from my office of the mountains and lake, a big difference from looking at buildings the all time.

Also interviewed a person for a role in our Greek office, makes a change me interviewing a person instead of the other way round :D Who we have decided to send an offer, lets hope they accept it.

Finally yesterday morning I passed my AZ-305 Designing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions exam after 5 months of studying. Now I'm an Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert :)

So after a bumpy start to the summer, hopefully things are starting to look up for me and I can enjoy the rest of the summer. Before going back to the grind with more studying.

Man of Honour
I'm 3 months into my new role now and it's going well, making a lot of good key contacts and getting involved in a lot of things, but I've already spread myself too thin. I always do that!

Fortunately, the business has taken on board my advice and restructuring in a more matrix style process driven approach, which should help bring more continuity to the work that other people are doing. However, one of the things I've noticed is that there's a lot of people doing some really good stuff and we do have some good talent in the business, but it's not aligned or joined up. I'm involved in most work streams because of my role, but I'm struggling to join the dots.

I've started to put a bit of a mind map together to show all the various relationships and elements of work that are happening, but this is too much going on for me to do this by myself. It's going to be interesting and a challenge. I'm still enjoying it. But there's a lot of spinning plates.

I sort of wonder how I'm going to help the business keep them spinning but make sure that we're all spinning them at the same time. Not that that's my role per se, but there's a lot of opportunity to kill multiple birds with less stones. I'm going to be putting my thinking hat on over the summer when it's quieter and see what we can do.

I need to find a good way of visualising all the opportunities and activities.

Soldato
I'd start by asking what my objectives are before killing myself with "for the love of it" type activities.

Good luck man.

How much of that salary is offset by CH cost of living? Genuine Q - would love to give it a go.

Soldato
I'd start by asking what my objectives are before killing myself with "for the love of it" type activities.

How much of that salary is offset by CH cost of living? Genuine Q - would love to give it a go.

I recall he lives in France, so has the CH salary but a french cost of living. Probably why he can buy so much crap like Taxis :p

Soldato
I recall he lives in France, so has the CH salary but a french cost of living. Probably why he can buy so much crap like Taxis :p

Smart from a living cost perspective although the Swiss franc has dropped to almost near parity with the euro so you need a large salary to make a difference.. and how much you get taxed for bringing the money into EU is a different matter.

Soldato
OP
Smart from a living cost perspective although the Swiss franc has dropped to almost near parity with the euro so you need a large salary to make a difference.. and how much you get taxed for bringing the money into EU is a different matter.

Yea, so I am happy to give a full breakdown on this. My role is Head of Product Excellence & Product Operations.

My gross salary is 163,000 CHF.
Minus social contributions to Switzerland (this is where all my pension / AHV is paid and where I'll draw my "state" pension) and private company pension I get 11,700CHF a month
I pay my income tax in France, and my income tax is 2805 EUR a month.
I also pay health insurance, which is (1/2 of family rate since separating) 650EUR a month

I do have less money since separating haha I now have to pay all the 2050 EUR rent. Energy is about 300 a month. Childcare is about 500 a month (she's only there over lunch each day).

But I do well. You'd never have the same level in the UK vs. cost of living.

The pension in Switzerland is very good as well. If you pay in all 42/42 years, you get about 2500pcm at retirement.

One of the best things I currently get, which the US don't, and I wouldn't if I got promoted to the next level up, is flexi time. I'm at a point where, if I earn more, a large amount would disappear on tax anyway (anything over 150k) and I'd lose my flexi time. It'd have to be a lot more to make it worth it and these days I'm more interested in taking as many holidays as I can, so flexi time has allowed me to take about 3 more weeks holiday a year. :D

Happy to answer any questions though. I am super open about this stuff, I don't see why people get funny about them. It's not a flex, I know I do well and worked my ass off for it. If it can help anyone, then why not?

hahaha cost of living is a bit more where I am due to the border situation and things being charged at near Swiss prices, but still is actually cheaper than Switzerland.

Man of Honour
I found out today that I've got the promotion I applied for at work, the rise of 11.2% seems a little bitter sweet, as I imagine they've used our annual pay rise which is also due now to reduce the promotion pay rise figure somewhat. But I do get an increase in bonus (17% to 20%) and another £100 a month for my car allowance and more RSUs. Take home wise it's going to make very little difference as I'm going to put any extra into my pension.

What it does do is open up more doors internally, as it's very rare to promote into a new role via an internal move and all of the roles I had considered were a grade above what I was. Also, if I do move externally it gives me more negotiating power due to the job title.

Soldato
I found out today that I've got the promotion I applied for at work, the rise of 11.2% seems a little bitter sweet, as I imagine they've used our annual pay rise which is also due now to reduce the promotion pay rise figure somewhat. But I do get an increase in bonus (17% to 20%) and another £100 a month for my car allowance and more RSUs. Take home wise it's going to make very little difference as I'm going to put any extra into my pension.

What it does do is open up more doors internally, as it's very rare to promote into a new role via an internal move and all of the roles I had considered were a grade above what I was. Also, if I do move externally it gives me more negotiating power due to the job title.
Congrats man. I get you on the "feels no different thing". Get yourself an electric car on salary sacrifice to "see" some of the fruits of your labour :cry:

Man of Honour
Congrats man. I get you on the "feels no different thing". Get yourself an electric car on salary sacrifice to "see" some of the fruits of your labour :cry:
Unfortunately it’s not an option, we’re not part of the scheme as far as I can tell.

HMRC rubbing their hands together.

Back
Top Bottom