This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Been looking at ways I can get out of working deep sea on LNG carriers, and stumbled across this ad for offshore wind turbine technicians, so, spruced up my CV, drafted a cover letter and fired off an email using the link in the ad, twice now. However, I keep getting the following response about 12 hours later:

Delivery incomplete​

There was a temporary problem while delivering your message to [email protected]. Gmail will retry for 22 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.

Does this site seem genuine, or have I just handed over a shed load of personal data to a recruitment fraud website?

Have you checked their social media? Not very many followers and their posts are pretty poor. Also, their linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/company/renewable-jobs/ - 2 employees?

"I run a renewable jobs job board and I spend most of the day posting memes."

Can you not find the job elsewhere or do you know the company and can contact direct?

Soldato
Hmm got a second interview tomorrow with the head of engineering/CIO. 30 mins so I suspect a load of questions and "do I like you?" which should be solved in the first 15 seconds.

Soldato
I’m an engineering officer in the Merchant Navy working on LNG carriers, with 8 years experience running ship’s engine rooms, repairing and maintaining equipment like pumps, compressors, centrifuges, engines….so on and so forth. Due to a change in circumstances, my daughter‘s arrival in August 2020, I’m now trying to find a way to get a job back onshore, and struggling to be honest. I’m looking at the likes of maintenance technician/process operator type jobs, but it seems that every job advert these days states pretty much that “you must have done exactly this job before, just for another company”, thus I’m caught in the “can’t get the job because I don’t have experience, can’t get experience because I can’t get the job“ Catch 22.

It all seems pretty disheartening at the minute to be honest. :( The Merchant Navy, and taking up engineering in particular was sold to me as a way of getting a trade and transferable skills that you can use anywhere, but it feels as though that wasn’t true, and that I’ve painted myself into a corner that I can’t get out of.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm got a second interview tomorrow with the head of engineering/CIO. 30 mins so I suspect a load of questions and "do I like you?" which should be solved in the first 15 seconds.

Interview was good - it did expose some short fall in my answers which, even if I don't get the role, have highlighted this. Previously the interviews haven't been quite at that level. So the communication skills were on test here after a "good" previous skills interview - something that is difficult to keep current when you're between roles.

Soldato
I’m an engineering officer in the Merchant Navy working on LNG carriers, with 8 years experience running ship’s engine rooms, repairing and maintaining equipment like pumps, compressors, centrifuges, engines….so on and so forth. Due to a change in circumstances, my daughter‘s arrival in August 2020, I’m now trying to find a way to get a job back onshore, and struggling to be honest. I’m looking at the likes of maintenance technician/process operator type jobs, but it seems that every job advert these days states pretty much that “you must have done exactly this job before, just for another company”, thus I’m caught in the “can’t get the job because I don’t have experience, can’t get experience because I can’t get the job“ Catch 22.

It all seems pretty disheartening at the minute to be honest. :( The Merchant Navy, and taking up engineering in particular was sold to me as a way of getting a trade and transferable skills that you can use anywhere, but it feels as though that wasn’t true, and that I’ve painted myself into a corner that I can’t get out of.

I hear you. A couple of points:
1. A job spec is the ideal candidate - don't get it in your head that it's the hard list that rules you out of that position.
2. Make yourself a list of transferrable skills - prepare statements and answers to question why this is the case.
3. You have responsibility, the ability to function under pressure (military), ability to motivate when times are difficult.

Job applications seem to have moved to demonstrating the skills for public inspection (ie blogging/attending or presenting on YT) which are something incompatible for the military for obvious reasons. For management that becomes thought leadership and your own personal PR but that's almost meaningless without working at a company yourself.

Apply to the companies directly - on the top of your CV put two short paragraphs that directly demonstrate the skills. I find that a cover letter works but often doesn't make it beyond the initial recruiter.

I have a similar issue - in managing teams larger than most companies IT departments I'm not considered, if I look for a step up I don't have the job title and need some work around the soft communications skills for this reason given the career break. That you can learn and adapt but you won't interview as well without pulling favours from friends to treat you like a formal applicant and interview you.

The job market has become ultra-competitive - in 100+ applications I get a about a 20% initial call (mainly a recruitment agency filtering before the company), I get about a 5-6% first interview and a then the numbers go down from there.

My current live interview process - I know they have another candidate and it's between us two. Technically (head of architecture & head of business analysis) have given me a good feedback, the last with the head of the unit I'm still awaiting feedback.

Soldato
Urgh,

Got a letter from Amazon telling me I have to pay back some of the sign on bonus, as I quit halfway through my second year.

It’s not a huge amount of money (about £1300) but I’m tempted to just tell them to **** off tbh, and see if they take me to court in Ireland where I won’t show up lol,

Soldato
Urgh,

Got a letter from Amazon telling me I have to pay back some of the sign on bonus, as I quit halfway through my second year.

It’s not a huge amount of money (about £1300) but I’m tempted to just tell them to **** off tbh, and see if they take me to court in Ireland where I won’t show up lol,
It is very normal so I'd pay it back. I doubt they'd have any issue selling the debt on for a decent return.

Man of Honour
Just pay it so you can forget about it. Presumably this was written into the contract, you don't want something like this hanging over you, you never know when it might bite you in future.

I know the horse has bolted now but this is the sort of thing to consider when negotiating new jobs, try to get the new employer to fund any reimbursements to the old employer like signing bonus, training course clawback, bonuses you'll be forgoing etc.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
For that much owed I’d just pay it, but see if they’ll take it in instalments ;)

I’ve got to pay back, in full, a retention bonus I was given by my previous employer :(

But I made sure my new employer gave me a sign on bonus to cover it, so will actually not be out of pocket.

Soldato
Been through the interview process and have been offered a job. On the face of it, the 18% payrise would swing it, but after travel costs and a smaller pension contribution are taken into account the package is not hugely different to what I'm already on.

Other trade offs would be lower GIP and death in service and a significantly less noteworthy client base. That said there is a better route of progression I think.

Leaning against taking the offer.

Back
Top Bottom