This Business and Moment...

I'm not so sure about that, that particular project seems to have turned into a complete farce. It was a very bizarre, badly thought-through idea in the first place and now they're not even attempting to build more than a fraction of what was originally envisaged.

Obvs still not bad work for any western contractors willing to take the money for what they're still planning to build but I think for the Saudis themsevles they're going to be left with some expensive turds.

However our involvement was on the IT side.. specifically the quantum computing and cryptography. Which really comes down to fiber optics and a few geographic located rooms with one being rather cold :) Nothing like transport, business or social infrastructure.

However that's half the fun in Saudi.. you can have no contract, go to a race course and then end up having a contract without actually reading it in detail. It's all about face so if you're delivering you're either going to annoy them (even if it was contractually correct) by just delivering or end up delivering something way more expensive that you'd expected - the expectation is you should be able to charge over the odds for the second scenario... if they don't take it then that's probably a blessing..

Last edited:
What mod is the best to contact to see if it's ok to ask for a few testers of my business new usb4 cable? Not sure if this is the best board to post on either. Seeing as it's my business I'm thinking this might be the best one. It's not a cable that OCUK sells.

What mod is the best to contact to see if it's ok to ask for a few testers of my business new usb4 cable? Not sure if this is the best board to post on either. Seeing as it's my business I'm thinking this might be the best one. It's not a cable that OCUK sells.

You could initially have a word with Feek, who is not a mod, but an admin, and is into radio. He might be able to tell you which mod. Otherwise you can get a list of mods from the forum rules, it's there somewhere.

Me. Providing I get one.

Me. Providing I get one.
I've got

0.5m
2m
3m

But I know that the longer the cable length, the more the signal can be affected by the cable length. I'm looking to find out just what sort of speeds these can do at the longer lengths

Someone would have to have the equipment to be able to test at least 1 or more of the following options

A: data transfer rates
B: 8k video (visually give it the Mark One eyeball test)
C: 240W charging speeds

And have some way to measure, at a reasonable standard, the results they get.

Anyone got the hardware to test? It'll be one of each of the cable lengths so I need 3 people :)

Last edited:
Ok this role in KSA is looking really interesting. The equivalent salary would be more than double my current earnings. 8 days less holiday pa, but still not bad. Even if I only did it for a couple of years that would be quite profitable. To say I'm not hugely tempted is an understatement. I've just written up a budget, and it feels hard to poke holes in it (I've shared it with my financial adviser, just waiting to hear back).

Could I cope for a few months without the family? That's the big thing... and pulling the kids out of school mid-year might be quite tough... but I spoke to my sponsor out there and with the visa I will get my wife will be entitled to work as well.

Decisions decisions....

I'm so fed up with recruitment consultants. They sell you something and then when you receive the Ts & Cs and look carefully at provisional, you realise that it's nothing like what they suggested to you in the first place. I had to jump through so many hoops, fill in so many forms and so on, and then finally receive a provisional offer (that is not really provisional as they expect you to sign it), which is not really anything like what had been discussed - well it is, but heavily nuanced. i.e. you'll likely be based here, but in the offer they base you 8hrs away from where you had started to do your research, and the area they want you to be based is 10% more expensive than the budget you had allocated for your planning. Your working hours will typically be x. Whereas they expect y. Even though the money is decent by UK standards, by the time you factor in everything else it's not life changing enough (other than the experience) to want to relocate my whole family.

I'm now torn. I have a role already to go to, and another offer potentially - so I'm in a very fortuitous position, but I hate wasting my time and other's time when something hasn't been shared with full transparency.

I'm so fed up with recruitment consultants. They sell you something and then when you receive the Ts & Cs and look carefully at provisional, you realise that it's nothing like what they suggested to you in the first place. I had to jump through so many hoops, fill in so many forms and so on, and then finally receive a provisional offer (that is not really provisional as they expect you to sign it), which is not really anything like what had been discussed - well it is, but heavily nuanced. i.e. you'll likely be based here, but in the offer they base you 8hrs away from where you had started to do your research, and the area they want you to be based is 10% more expensive than the budget you had allocated for your planning. Your working hours will typically be x. Whereas they expect y. Even though the money is decent by UK standards, by the time you factor in everything else it's not life changing enough (other than the experience) to want to relocate my whole family.

I'm now torn. I have a role already to go to, and another offer potentially - so I'm in a very fortuitous position, but I hate wasting my time and other's time when something hasn't been shared with full transparency.
Any idea what the working environment will be like? I've not heard great things, but that's from a small sample.

Any idea what the working environment will be like? I've not heard great things, but that's from a small sample.

I have a few friends out in KSA who love it. It is hard work and long hours but good quality of life. However they're in Jeddah which is quite more progressive and by the sea so actually quite enjoyable. One of them is in Riyadh which he doesn't love but he's also got no kids and is on significantly more than the others (we're talking close to 20k tax free per month :eek: ). He's not planning on being there more than 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom