This Business and Moment...

After nearly knocking out this one in a couple of days, I decided to knock out another.

image.png

I am not sure if I'll get the chance to make it this week, because arctic trip prep, but when I'm back I'll do it.

Then I'll have itscheaper.in and itsavailable.in :p

Not massive monetization ops really, but fun projects nonetheless and practice. I'll use VPN affiliates to monetize in some way for both.

So I assume you're not holding PII data on that, but just providing information with advertising revenue?

I had fun getting PII regulatory sign off in India. Spent 100K on a mandatory legal "yes" from an independent Dublin lawyer..

Exactly. Users just search a show and we provide and show the data, but not from our sources. A data visualisation tool per say, while using it as a bit a channel for potential affiliate revenue.

Quite often the audio/subtitles may not be the same or available in English etc.

ooooh things just got interesting...

May have landed a role in KSA which pays somewhat well... That would be a bit of a big life changing leap (I'm one for getting out of my comfort zone, I seem to thrive when I'm in that situation).

Could be quite an exciting bit of life experience whilst being able to put some money aside.

May have landed a role in KSA which pays somewhat well... That would be a bit of a big life changing leap (I'm one for getting out of my comfort zone, I seem to thrive when I'm in that situation).

Could be quite an exciting bit of life experience whilst being able to put some money aside.
It's becoming pretty popular.

They were after quantum and cryptography over the last few years. I had a chat with the Neom CTO when it was kicking off but it was mandatory to have a heavily staffed office within Neom in order to qualify. Needless to say it wouldn't have been viable for a smallish UK based company todo that. Shame, they got the money and the desire to make it happen.

KSA does present clear opportunities - but ensure that you've enough for medical and spousal coverage. I know they allow women to work but an old colleague's Mrs ended up becoming a lady of leisure before they moved back to the UK after several years.

Last edited:
Yes that's the one thing I'm checking - seems that there's a dedicated high tier health cover including dental and full family would be covered too.

What's exciting about KSA is that it's really driving infrastructure (I work in infrastructure - not the IT type!) hard and seeking creating centres of excellence and learning - which is brilliant as we have a lot of that experience in the West, plus, safety is a key element for us.

The package is very tempting and earnings are tax free over there too (once all my tax affairs would be settled in the UK), so that makes it even more interesting.

A lot to consider, but it's going to be some deep cogitation this week. I'm in a lucky spot that I have a role lined up so I don't really need to worry, but they do include relocation expenses, which is pretty darn good, as well as schooling and contribution to housing.

Last edited:
Lol I've just seen a job spec, as the head of IT..
* experience managing IT infra (includes everything from printers to monitors) .. mandatory..
* experienced in software delivery including agile and PMP certified.. mandatory..
* experienced in financial trading including all the APIs .. mandatory
* Security certified CISSP... mandatory
* Azure Solutions Certified expert .. mandatory
* CCIE Cisco Networking ... expert .. mandatory
* 5 years head of IT experience ...

Reading down it all becomes clear
* Experienced in scaling startups..

The majority of those certifications requires an onward evidence and examinations. For head of IT they should have picked the PMP/MBA, added the 5 years IT management and gone from there.

Last edited:

I spent a couple of weeks out there recently in KAFD and Digital City. Absolutely crazy amount of building and infrastructure work going on. They are desperate to hire in expats and paying decent salaries. Was tempted until I experienced the 50c heat

Mixed morning today.

Currently in the middle of a background check with HireRight who want to verify everything in my entire life, almost down to the molecular level (whatever).

Having some issues contacting a previous company for a reference (everything is done through HR these days), I heard HireRight might ask for tax records which show the start/end date, and the employer name - turns out it does! if you login to HMRC you get a full list of everywhere you've worked, start/end date and tax paid - great!

Except there was a bit on there that said, "You owe £4200 tax".

Except there was a bit on there that said, "You owe £4200 tax".

I got that one a couple of weeks or so ago, except it was a nice email alerting me to a 'change in my tax' which I knew would be hey we're taking your money. Only 2.5k but still put me in a bad mood for the week. Absolute scumbaggery.

I just got off a call with my manager and HR telling me that I'm being made go.. I was kept on being told that I passed my probation verbally and the meeting towards the end will just be a formality. I think, my responsibilities will be outsourced, there were some talks early on - I was told not to worry about it though. It did feel fishy, when my probation meeting was kept getting postponed, but my probation wasn't official extended...

The guilty look in my managers eyes gave it away that it was a decision from the top... Back to searching, applying, interviewing, getting more certifications and honing my skills...

On a serious note, what goes on in peoples heads when they write job adverts and put in that the company is doing EVERYTHING to reduce Co2 footprint, but they require you to come in 3days a week into the office to carry out tasks which can be done remotely? :o Please don't say work culture. :cry:

I got that one a couple of weeks or so ago, except it was a nice email alerting me to a 'change in my tax' which I knew would be hey we're taking your money. Only 2.5k but still put me in a bad mood for the week. Absolute scumbaggery.

Yeah it's lame, just gonna pay back £1k a month as they want it by Jan 31st 2025 - so whatavaaaaah... :/

On a serious note, what goes on in peoples heads when they write job adverts and put in that the company is doing EVERYTHING to reduce Co2 footprint, but they require you to come in 3days a week into the office to carry out tasks which can be done remotely? :o Please don't say work culture. :cry:
It's a box ticking exercise, I went through a long, drawn out process for my place in 2021 for some carbon neutral initiative - we got a nice shiny badge from some vendors and a in the long distant future a 'goal' to meet, once we got the badge never heard another word. We have a lot of racks, a lot of kit and we've done nothing but expand them and not in an efficient manner.

• Haha
Reactions: IC3
I just got off a call with my manager and HR telling me that I'm being made go.. I was kept on being told that I passed my probation verbally and the meeting towards the end will just be a formality. I think, my responsibilities will be outsourced, there were some talks early on - I was told not to worry about it though. It did feel fishy, when my probation meeting was kept getting postponed, but my probation wasn't official extended...

The guilty look in my managers eyes gave it away that it was a decision from the top... Back to searching, applying, interviewing, getting more certifications and honing my skills...

It’s like telling the board - less hot air to reduce carbon footprint..

I got a bill, but that was the gap between the end of contract and officially the end of “employment”.. seems they do that at the end of the tax year without advising me.. so I had 2 jobs and that meant 40%.. still it’s sub-1K which is better than the last 32K erroneous bill that hmrc blamed on “computer error”.

Last edited:
Mixed morning today.

Currently in the middle of a background check with HireRight who want to verify everything in my entire life, almost down to the molecular level (whatever).

If it's beyond 7 years.. I'm not sure the Banks can easily regurgitate the information to precisely match what they want either.

I had the same fun with the last role:
* bank statements but required the account number redacted but had to show the address, state and end balance..
* full history
* police check scan of the double sided larger than A4 sheet they send.. as they'd wouldn't accept the referral code that the site provides.
* government identity etc..

Bizarre combination of information they would and would not accept.

I have one typo in an official document.. nobody spots it. Note even security clearance, re-issuing, job vetting etc.. except one day at a job interview when a very very keen eyed individual spots it.. and then proceeds to give up and accept it lol.

If it's beyond 7 years.. I'm not sure the Banks can easily regurgitate the information to precisely match what they want either.

I had the same fun with the last role:
* bank statements but required the account number redacted but had to show the address, state and end balance..
* full history
* police check scan of the double sided larger than A4 sheet they send.. as they'd wouldn't accept the referral code that the site provides.
* government identity etc..

Bizarre combination of information they would and would not accept.

I have one typo in an official document.. nobody spots it. Note even security clearance, re-issuing, job vetting etc.. except one day at a job interview when a very very keen eyed individual spots it.. and then proceeds to give up and accept it lol.

So with mine, they're after;

Basic DBS (basic criminal record check)
Credit check (CCJs, Bankruptcy etc)
Online conduct check (lol) <checking to make sure I'm not an online neo-nazi or something mental>
Employment history
Address history

They want 7 years worth of employment history, I've jumped about a bit - I've got basic references for all of them, except my last employer who are ghosting me for some reason (not sure why as I worked my notice and handed my stuff back, whatever) so I suspect if they can't verify they'll want to see the contract/offer and tax records (which is fine)

I don't mind that much, it's giving me a bit of anxiety - but at the end of the day I checked all of the dates on my CV and they all match up exactly with reality (and what shows up on HMRC) so I can prove all of the information I've given.

Back
Top Bottom