This Business and Moment...

Associate
We have ETL/SQL dev jobs in Leeds that we are constantly recruiting for.

Massive pipeline to deliver in 2018. Starting a my first foray into architecting a AI/Machine learning solution to identify potential red flags.

Exciting times.

Soldato
2017 was the worst year of my life. In Apr my position was made redundant & my whole world went into a spin. I secured a position in another country but didn't give it the normal due diligence with not thinking straight & trusting that my now ex-partner who lived in that country would flag anything major. Settling there just never happened, it took over 3 mos to find a home because I have a dog, and then in Dec I walked in to work to be told I no longer had a job. The company mislead me from the start & whilst I am seeking legal council I realistically have to face defeat. My parents have offered me their sofa & I can ship my possessions & pop them into short term storage. When all this is done I'll have wasted around 12k in moving/living costs. :(

I have nothing left, and whilst I'm trying to think of this as a chance to start a fresh it is pretty soul destroying. I have 14+ years work experience but I feel so low right now & I've had a severe viral infection (the doctors originally thought it was whooping cough) which means I'm not even well enough to do any interviewing at the moment.

:( :( :(

It's an easy thing to say, and sometimes difficult to hear/read, but I wouldn't worry about it. Worrying is only going to cloud your thoughts and judgements when thinking about your next move. Take some time, clear your head and think things through thoroughly. I've been in a not too dissimilar situation, with severe anxiety and stress thrown into the mix, and I came to the conclusion that not rushing things and seriously evaluating my options were going to allow me to make the right decision.

Obviously, it's different for each person, but you can build an awful lot from nothing.

Soldato
Well I'm into the second week of this new position, from director to staff has been a transition that simply hasn't bothered me in the slightest (in all honesty the stress reduction is is welcomed). Its quite a strange experience though because I knew everyone already more or less and I know their cad standards and how they work so they've more or less dropped me in the deep end and left me to it.

Pros include the automatic bean grinding coffee machine and flexitime, cons include the travesty that is clean desk policy and hot desking.

I am enjoying it though, the days are flying by.

Soldato
So I'm not a big GD poster but need somewhere to vent so here goes....

I'll start with a bit of context in spoilers
Currently I am doing well for myself (at least in my eyes).

I am 28 and currently in my 3rd year of Head of Business and Computing at a local secondary. I am on course for the standard pay rise which should see me clear £40k this year.

Wife is expecting first child due in November and despite living at home (parents have pretty much said they want to retire abroad and spend many months away at the moment leaving just me, wife, older brother and younger sister) I am quite happy.
However, I know that I am not going to be in teaching forever, I have always wanted to start my own business. Be it a youth center or tuition place or whatever. I can only see myself in teaching for another few years.

Since I started teaching I contributed towards living expenses giving away half my salary on the usual bills, food etc, mortgage (which we cleared in Jan this year) and for the past 2 and a bit years have completely run the house by myself (Large 7 bed detached).

Now my parents foster care (by default myself and wife are nominated carers) and they have let the agency we are with know that after our current placement, they are out of the game and wish to retire. Current placement is due to end next summer so happy days.

Anyways, on to the business.
Keeping with the helping others and giving back to the community, my brother and I have agreed with our parents that we wish to use our house and convert it into a children's home / young adults care home. So much so that we have the business registered, business plan drawn up and are due to go through OFSTED regulations soon. Now this could prove to be a game changer for us as my brother has industry care experience, I have the education experience and our business partner has a successful business of his own. All looks good right?

This is where I need to vent. We have been given a timeline of Jan 2017 to open doors and get the business up and running. We are a loooong way from that.

That required roughly £40k worth of investment to the house and to put our family up in rented accommodation temporarily. (The plan is to run the business for a year and use the profits to buy another home that we can move into). The business plan makes sense, we stand to make some good money while helping out people in the process.

However, my wife is struggling with the pregnancy and will struggle to move unless its this month meaning we need to move out ASAP.

That means extra rent. We don't want to take any loans and want to do things ourselves (parents are willing to chip in but don't want to rely on that - they have practically given us a house) We have around 10k in savings and a further 10k from eldest sister.

Moving out, extra rent, on top of that the safeguarding and welfare of our current placement means that there are issues left and right. My brother is adamant that he wants to see it through and we should plow on, struggles at the start make it sweeter later on etc. My point is that I am fine in my current situation, should I be putting myself through all of this? I feel like he needs it more than I do but I also want to help out.

So yes, money is an issue, timing is an issue, I feel like I am choosing between this business and my family and sometimes feel like I am battling my wife and my brother. I know that a year from now if things go well I will be laughing about it all but at the moment its stressing me out :( Talk about first world problems
Ain't it weird how things work out....Over the weekend we managed to secure funding from a family friend, no strings attached which takes our total savings to £50k, today we confirmed rental on our temporary accommodation (well minimum 2 years) that is an awesome house everyone is happy with!

Now the real work starts, moving house, renovating the old one, starting the business. Here's to the next 12 months!

Ok so an update on this...

First off, we moved house, and then literally 3 weeks later my baby girl was born. Happy days! :D

But the old house is now a drag - we had issues with the CCTV guy, issues with the wallpaper stripper guy, issues with plasterers and issues with people falling into floorboards and damaging ceilings below!

Now since some floorboards were lifted and god knows what happened, we are now experiencing a huge electrical problem and have been quoted £3k to get the entire house certified...

The project needs proper micro management but working full time and relying on my bother is starting to drain.

Not ideal....(does anyone know any electricians based in Beds - specifically Luton?!)

But anyway, setbacks are setbacks and we must soldier on!

So another update to remind myself of where we are more than anything else...

Rewiring the house cost near enough 6k but we are all signed off and ready to go. The house is 95% done and just needs the fire doors putting in (they are almost complete) and then furnishing. Nearly there!

On other business related news, the manager we have is playing silly buggers and I am seriously considering if we have made the right choice.

Been paying them for 2 months and they have done very little. Leaves us in an awkward place as we have an application in with ofsted with their name down as manager and if they leave it screws everything up. No choice at the moment but to sit tight and hope for the best! Social workers eh?

We have also managed to get in with the councils through various links in our network and meetings are being set up to generate interest which is good. Local colleges are interested in offering courses which will train our staff so from that perspective its all good! Running out of money at the minute though as we are nearly £40k into this now and down to our last £10k or so! That has to pay for at least 2 months before we see anything in the form of returns. Getting a bit tight!
Fingers crossed things are rolling come the next update!

Had to trawl through to find my last post in here but I cant believe its finally happening! Almost 2 years after the initial idea we finally have a date of a visit from OFSTED!. 31st Jan, stick it in your diaries my friends for I shall be (hopefully) the proprietor of the only registered childrens home for miles and one with a direct relationship with the LA!
So much has happened since the last update, the manager playing silly buggers left, we found someone who is amazing and has been literally leading the home on his own the last few months, cannot reward him enough!
We have had to release equity from the home to keep us going but its not a huge risk as we did not take a lot out and there is plenty left should things go belly up. (Which they cant now, we are really building up some steam)

In other news, I have been asked to speak at an inside government event regarding Computer Science and the implementation of it at my school which I have now deemed to be outstanding after taking over 3 and a bit years ago and finding it was poor! So on the whole things are looking up!

Man of Honour
Just been informed that my next deployment will be in our Asia Pacific region.

9 weeks away from home based in either Singapore, China, Philippines, Thailand or South Korea (to be confirmed whether I'll be in one of those countries for the whole deployment or rotating between them)

Fly out in March and return at the end of May. I can have a two week return to the UK in the middle of that period if I want it, but I don't have to.

It'll make a change from flying to Warsaw and back every week!

Soldato
Second week as a manager, and I'm still getting used to having a team under me. Enjoying the job though, it's great to be able to choose where we focus our efforts, even if the task ahead is bloody massive. Should be hiring for a new position soon too, and I'm quite looking forward to having a say in who my colleagues are - may even post the role in the thread here!

Still no payroll number though, so the whole salary thing may have to wait another month

Soldato
OP
Few changes here. I have to take a step back with emotuit and go back to the drawing board, well, sort of anyway. I was trying too do much last year, all from my pocket and it's so badly overstretched us as a family and me mentally because of it.
I'm going back to setting up with a single uni and working with them on a study and using our R&D VP to go over the data models and create a compelling story we can use to raise money and sell more.

Secondly, I applied for a new role here at Novartis. I have a contract for 3 months this year but I hate this space now, I just really don't enjoy what I do. I kept telling myself it wasn't forever, and emotuit would be that "out" but I'm still here so for my sanity, I need to shake that **** up a bit.
Had my first interview today with the hiring manager. I'd done my research on the role and business unit, so think I shocked her when she asked what I know about the role and I outlined it all. Anyway, got through that round and she said that I will have a second round interview next.
That consists of 2 people I think, one of which I'd be working with and the other is a bloke called Guy who recommended me for the job in the first place, so hopefully I can win them both over...

Lastly, I've been working on a side project as well. Path (www.pathco.in) is essentially a blockchain based digital CV, where schools, unis, companies issue digital certifications to a users Path when they complete a course, or start a new job (using our integration APIs), in turn, the student is the rewarded in Path Coins for completing their course.
On the other end, when an employer is looking to hire a potential employee they can query their Path for a fee, which gives them a validated background of their identity, work history and certifications. That fee is then distributed between the user, Path, and all companies/ universities that have added certifications/ entries to the Path.
We're just building our alpha product at the moment, have a couple of unis wanting to get involved and I'm looking for advisers/ devs and trying to get our site up and running with technical documentation. Which is fun.

Soldato
On the other end, when an employer is looking to hire a potential employee they can query their Path for a fee, which gives them a validated background of their identity, work history and certifications. That fee is then distributed between the user, Path, and all companies/ universities that have added certifications/ entries to the Path.
Sounds very interesting. I imagine you'll be restricting the total amount the user gets charged in this instance, as if a **** load of companies/universities query the user, then they could be left with a massive fee! :p

Permabanned
Not very happy about certain people in my work place. They seem to think it's OK for verbal abuse. Someone come in today and said they were trying to get me sacked. They may have just been funning around, however. I'm extremely quiet at work and I just get on with it. Then someone piped up and said "Yeh, you would be doing us all a favour". I have nothing against anyone, however if this continues I will be going to HR. I wouldn't dare comment on things like that about other people but some people think it's classed as work place banter. Idiots!

Got a couple days off to ponder over if I should take it further as this isn't the first time the same 'pair' has had a go. They think they both own the place when in fact they are on the same level as me.

Man of Honour
Not very happy about certain people in my work place. They seem to think it's OK for verbal abuse. Someone come in today and said they were trying to get me sacked. They may have just been funning around, however. I'm extremely quiet at work and I just get on with it. Then someone piped up and said "Yeh, you would be doing us all a favour". I have nothing against anyone, however if this continues I will be going to HR. I wouldn't dare comment on things like that about other people but some people think it's classed as work place banter. Idiots!

Got a couple days off to ponder over if I should take it further as this isn't the first time the same 'pair' has had a go. They think they both own the place when in fact they are on the same level as me.
Perhaps just quietly confront said people and ask if they actually have a problem (on the basis that you politely "hope their isn't one"). They are probably trying to have fun.

Permabanned
Perhaps just quietly confront said people and ask if they actually have a problem (on the basis that you politely "hope their isn't one"). They are probably trying to have fun.

Yeh I may do that. Quiet doesn't come into it with these pair they think they own the place. They always get told to behave but doesn't stop them from messing around. I thought it was a good place to work but it's getting worse. Been there 6 months now nearly.

They coming out with some seriously sly comments lately and it's grinding on me.

Associate
Nearly finished on my current project. Business case was approved at the Exec meeting with the group CEO and CFO today, and meeting with Chairman went very well ahead of the board meeting next week.

Getting a little bored of the organisation (worked on a few projects there over the last year or so). Next project hopefully in a different company :)

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Well four weeks on from finding out I'll be losing my job come the end of March, I'm now starting to seriously look/hunt again - decided I wasn't going to let the situation ruin Christmas for myself or my family, so brushed it to the side and cracked on with life as normal. Spent this evening overhauling the CV and tidying up LinkedIn, tomorrow I shall fire it off to a few jobs I've shortlisted (that are internal currently) and see how we progress! I know I've got the ability, potential and drive to do well and should really only go up from here - just need to get into that interview room and beam confidence! The only thing I could be short on is experience and exposure, but what I lack there I more than make up for in my ability to learn quickly and adapt to my environment!

A role tailored towards a junior / developing person would be ideal and allow me to cross-over into the engineering side, which is my longer-term goal, but I'd be happy just to make a switch to another company doing my current role as a technician!

Man of Honour
Last 3 months been covering a management position where I work - originally was to cover the Christmas period due to extra workload opening up shifts that the current management couldn't be stretched to cover but with people leaving and/or off due to long term injury and money being tightly controlled it looks like its going to be continuing indefinitely.

Been an interesting experience as I'm so far out of my comfort zone its not even funny and having people under me (actually two different teams depending on day of the week) takes a bit of getting used to - I've had to force myself to be quite focused while at work when normally I'm more a person that goes with the flow at work.

Was originally promised a significant bump in pay and benefits which haven't fully materialised - when I brought it up it was deflected with comments about being subject to training and experience which was NOT what was promised in the interview - however two of the harder parts of the job are currently being done by another manager and there are perks in that being the most senior person in the building when I'm in I'm not looking over my shoulder, have more autonomy and access to facilities, etc. so I'm not rocking that boat too hard.

Last couple of weeks haven't been fun as I've been ill enough to warrant phoning in sick but in a position where I can basically turn up so as the shifts can go ahead/avoid other staff having to be pulled in to cover me and take it easy as needed which itself is a new experience :s

Been 1-2 issues ongoing that I've tried to tackle in a soft manner and nudge people in the right direction - especially as some of the staff I've been working at the same level as for some time - which I'm now thinking I'm going to have to tackle more directly which sucks a bit.

Soldato
OP
Well four weeks on from finding out I'll be losing my job come the end of March, I'm now starting to seriously look/hunt again - decided I wasn't going to let the situation ruin Christmas for myself or my family, so brushed it to the side and cracked on with life as normal. Spent this evening overhauling the CV and tidying up LinkedIn, tomorrow I shall fire it off to a few jobs I've shortlisted (that are internal currently) and see how we progress! I know I've got the ability, potential and drive to do well and should really only go up from here - just need to get into that interview room and beam confidence! The only thing I could be short on is experience and exposure, but what I lack there I more than make up for in my ability to learn quickly and adapt to my environment!

A role tailored towards a junior / developing person would be ideal and allow me to cross-over into the engineering side, which is my longer-term goal, but I'd be happy just to make a switch to another company doing my current role as a technician!

What's your role? ocUK might be able to help! Post your linkedin, I have a load of connections that might be useful.

Soldato
OP
Last 3 months been covering a management position where I work - originally was to cover the Christmas period due to extra workload opening up shifts that the current management couldn't be stretched to cover but with people leaving and/or off due to long term injury and money being tightly controlled it looks like its going to be continuing indefinitely.

Been an interesting experience as I'm so far out of my comfort zone its not even funny and having people under me (actually two different teams depending on day of the week) takes a bit of getting used to - I've had to force myself to be quite focused while at work when normally I'm more a person that goes with the flow at work.

Was originally promised a significant bump in pay and benefits which haven't fully materialised - when I brought it up it was deflected with comments about being subject to training and experience which was NOT what was promised in the interview - however two of the harder parts of the job are currently being done by another manager and there are perks in that being the most senior person in the building when I'm in I'm not looking over my shoulder, have more autonomy and access to facilities, etc. so I'm not rocking that boat too hard.

Last couple of weeks haven't been fun as I've been ill enough to warrant phoning in sick but in a position where I can basically turn up so as the shifts can go ahead/avoid other staff having to be pulled in to cover me and take it easy as needed which itself is a new experience :s

Been 1-2 issues ongoing that I've tried to tackle in a soft manner and nudge people in the right direction - especially as some of the staff I've been working at the same level as for some time - which I'm now thinking I'm going to have to tackle more directly which sucks a bit.

On the bottom point, you have to be firm. It's like asserting your power, but not in a ****** way, but you're not their friends, you are their boss. Otherwise people will think they can take the ****.

I'd also be firm with the salary etc you were promised. It would cost them significantly more to try and find someone else than to meet your needs.

Back
Top Bottom