This Business and Moment...

Soldato
OP
Just had fun at the French unemployment office. Now have to go back on 18th May... consider I've been out of work since end of march, I can see this being a pain. Standard stuff " you need xyz paperwork" well, why didn't you tell me that before I got her and I'd have got it. I've been waiting 3 weeks for this appointment!

Anyway, left there feeling pretty down, then got a phone call offering me a contract. Had the phone interview yesterday and aside from a bit of rate negotiations (totally taking a pay hit by about 50-60quid a day, but don't want it to be more than that) they would like to hire me. Job is easy. Application Service Manager contract until the end of 2019. Buys me some time anyway and flexibility (as it's with Novartis) meaning I can still WFH one day and ride to work etc. So ups and downs as per.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Had a meeting today with my contract holder and who he wants me to shadow to set out my development framework and plan for the next 12-24 months. Gonna be a challenging and busy year! But if I stick with it and work my arse off it will be very worth my time I feel! :D

Soldato
Well, just had news of an unfolding ‘modernisation’ programme at work that’s going to result in job losses via a monthly company newsletter. :( And this, just after I’ve just completed on a new house, and have my wedding coming up in December.

I’m literally cringing every time I get the email alert tone on my phone now.

Soldato
Recently switched jobs, leaving data science consulting behind and getting back in touch with my actuarial roots. Managed to secure a similar salary which I was lucky to do given the much better work-life balance and study support (not just for exams and institute expenses but also up to 35 days of paid study leave depending on the exam(s) being taken). Overall, I'm happy I've made the move and it's been extremely interesting so far.

Soldato
OP
Start new contract next monday on 14th, which is nice. Gets some quick cash, which is nice. Still working away on things.

Met with Uni of Phoenix Friday, went well, putting me in touch with their Analytics guys.

Meeting Novartis head of learning (who I know) on Weds to try and sell him on either Path or emotuit, or both. Would love to get something out of them!

Last edited:
Soldato
First day back from almost 3 weeks off Paternity...not the best feeling!!

I have however emailed Police HR to see if I can call them today instead of the planned call tomorrow as I am itching to hand my 4 week notice in at work

Unfortunately the police are unable to give me any formal letter of the job offer without all checks being done and complete (including references from current employer!) I just need them to confirm that my start date of 16th July is in no way planning on changing and then happy to take the leap of faith.

Give me some decent time off with the family before I start my new career as a Student Police Officer.

Soldato
Been applying for jobs the last week or so to progress my career. Got a call back from one of the recruiters and they asked my salary expections, me being me I said 25k, which is only 5k more than what I am earning and requires me to relocate to Isle of Man. I haven't confirmed anything yet so will mostly like ask for more to make it worthwhile :o

Caporegime
Surely the logical question then from the recruiter is - why didn't you give that figure when I asked you in the first place, you said previously your expectations were 25k?

Caporegime
Today was a good day...

I am changing managers due to business restructure (quite common here I am told) and in the meeting with both managers my previous manager specifically highlighted that my "short time" at the company should not hold back the fact im behaving like a senior and bring considerable experience to the company etc. Which is great. Afterwards I had a seperate talk with my new manager about a potential role/promotion or if he thinks im rushing, but he said "absolutely fine for me"

I am elated! It's going to be a tough year of studying and working hard, but these are progressive challenges. Can't bloody wait tbh!

*happy dance*

Soldato
Surely the logical question then from the recruiter is - why didn't you give that figure when I asked you in the first place, you said previously your expectations were 25k?
It was one of those jobs I didn't think much of due to the relocation but I applied anyway just to see. I hadn't thought of relocation costs during the call and just said the figure I had in mind for my area. If that doesn't sit well with them then I won't be too bummed out.

Soldato
Well today is the day I call my line manager and advise him I will be handing in my notice!

Question...what is the law regarding employers and notice period pay, I don't have a contract as such but been working at the company for 3 years. Can they just turn around and tell me to go or as I have given a 4 week notice I either work it or they let me go and pay me for the 4 weeks regardless?

Commissario
Well today is the day I call my line manager and advise him I will be handing in my notice!

Question...what is the law regarding employers and notice period pay, I don't have a contract as such but been working at the company for 3 years. Can they just turn around and tell me to go or as I have given a 4 week notice I either work it or they let me go and pay me for the 4 weeks regardless?
Chances are they would want you to work the notice, but as you don't have a contract then there is nothing to stop them (or you) from simply walking out today. However if you were relying on a reference from them I wouldn't just walk!

On that note, if you did have a contract, there's nothing to stop you simply saying "I'm leaving and not working my notice period", however the company could sue you but would have to prove loss of earnings/financial loss and that would be down to them to do in court. This is quite a good article covering most points - https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/medi...t-of-my-job-without-working-my-notice-period/

Soldato
Chances are they would want you to work the notice, but as you don't have a contract then there is nothing to stop them (or you) from simply walking out today. However if you were relying on a reference from them I wouldn't just walk!

On that note, if you did have a contract, there's nothing to stop you simply saying "I'm leaving and not working my notice period", however the company could sue you but would have to prove loss of earnings/financial loss and that would be down to them to do in court. This is quite a good article covering most points - https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/medi...t-of-my-job-without-working-my-notice-period/

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I could do with the month salary so I am not looking to walk out on them I am more worried on if they will leave me high and dry...looking about though I am unsure if they can do this?

I need the reference as I am starting in the Police and as yet not all checks have been passed...one of which is the references, however my plan is to have some time off with the family before I start on 16th July.

My heart is pounding right now as I am just about to make the call!!

Soldato
Well the deed is done, spoke with Line Manager...he was driving so actually had to pull over he was that shocked!!

Very understanding on the phone which made things easier, he is passing the info on to the MD who I expect will be ringing me soon.

Adrenaline is off the scale, can't think straight right now as its first time I have ever had to hand a notice in and it starting to feel real about the new chapter in my life.

Don
Well the deed is done, spoke with Line Manager...he was driving so actually had to pull over he was that shocked!!

Very understanding on the phone which made things easier, he is passing the info on to the MD who I expect will be ringing me soon.

Adrenaline is off the scale, can't think straight right now as its first time I have ever had to hand a notice in and it starting to feel real about the new chapter in my life.

I always felt nervous, almost guilty handing in my notice in previous jobs as I was going to competitors in the same career field, you are going to a complete different role so they'd always be more than understanding. Well done on doing it!

Soldato
I always felt nervous, almost guilty handing in my notice in previous jobs as I was going to competitors in the same career field, you are going to a complete different role so they'd always be more than understanding. Well done on doing it!

It has been around 2 years in the waiting (as the police Application has taken this long!) so a massive relief I have 'let the cat out the bag' as such.

Spoken with the Sales Director who is the other owner of company and has congratulated me and said he is really pleased for me, it sounds like the MD is in the same mindset but is back in work tomorrow and will call me then. Planning on getting me over to Dublin for a dinner and few farewell drinks so really couldn't have gone any better!

I have no doubt if I was going to a competitor it would be a completely different story mind!

Just need to get these 4 weeks over with, to them enjoy around 5 weeks off not having to worry about a work thing before I start my new chapter on 16th July!

Back
Top Bottom