This Business and Moment...

Don
It has been around 2 years in the waiting (as the police Application has taken this long!) so a massive relief I have 'let the cat out the bag' as such.

Spoken with the Sales Director who is the other owner of company and has congratulated me and said he is really pleased for me, it sounds like the MD is in the same mindset but is back in work tomorrow and will call me then. Planning on getting me over to Dublin for a dinner and few farewell drinks so really couldn't have gone any better!

I have no doubt if I was going to a competitor it would be a completely different story mind!

Just need to get these 4 weeks over with, to them enjoy around 5 weeks off not having to worry about a work thing before I start my new chapter on 16th July!

Do you know where you are being situated then? Do I need to be on guard when staggering about in the high street? ;)

Soldato
Do you know where you are being situated then? Do I need to be on guard when staggering about in the high street? ;)

Hambleton & Rich all sold out...Either Harrogate & Craven or York & Selby area.

They try to locate no further than 1hr drive away so who knows where I will be!

I have taken a bit of a gamble as I still have a few minor checks to go through but mainly to do with Biometrics against the national computer (so unless I have done something in my sleep I will be ok) and references, after today's discussions I don't think the reference will be a problem.

noj

noj

Associate
It has been around 2 years in the waiting (as the police Application has taken this long!) so a massive relief I have 'let the cat out the bag' as such.

Spoken with the Sales Director who is the other owner of company and has congratulated me and said he is really pleased for me, it sounds like the MD is in the same mindset but is back in work tomorrow and will call me then. Planning on getting me over to Dublin for a dinner and few farewell drinks so really couldn't have gone any better!

I have no doubt if I was going to a competitor it would be a completely different story mind!

Just need to get these 4 weeks over with, to them enjoy around 5 weeks off not having to worry about a work thing before I start my new chapter on 16th July!

Glad it went well for you, not always an easy conversation!

Had my flexible working application approved.... No more working Friday afternoons

Soldato
Glad it went well for you, not always an easy conversation!

Had my flexible working application approved.... No more working Friday afternoons

Thanks mate...just got off the phone from the MD and again a very nice phone call.

Basically they have said if the Police doesn't work out I will always have a job back with them...I guess I can't ask for much more than that!!!

The flexible working when agreed is great, my wife managed to change working 5 days and compress into 4 at no loss of income either.

noj

noj

Associate
Thanks mate...just got off the phone from the MD and again a very nice phone call.

Basically they have said if the Police doesn't work out I will always have a job back with them...I guess I can't ask for much more than that!!!

The flexible working when agreed is great, my wife managed to change working 5 days and compress into 4 at no loss of income either.

Nice to have a safety blanket just in case you hate it in the police.

With my flexible working agreement I'm basically just getting back some of the extra time I put in. I'm usually in the office an hour early and stay late - so no change on pay of hours really as I'm always in early anyway

Soldato
Had more news, if you can call it that, from a colleague who was involved in a conference call with our company’s GM. Essentially ships are being cut from the fleet, they have a number for now but state that they may change. When asked when we would know that the selections for redundancies were over, the answer involved the phrase ‘ongoing process’, which was used a lot, meaning if you haven't had your notice yet, that doesn’t mean it won’t be coming in the future, and who knows when they’ll decide that they’ve cut enough. :(

Time to get the CV dusted off and get job hunting, as I can’t live with this uncertainty hanging over me, and no indication when this might pass. I can’t believe a company with the reputation, and profile my employer has can treat people so abysmally.

Caporegime
Chances are they would want you to work the notice, but as you don't have a contract then there is nothing to stop them (or you) from simply walking out today. However if you were relying on a reference from them I wouldn't just walk!

On that note, if you did have a contract, there's nothing to stop you simply saying "I'm leaving and not working my notice period", however the company could sue you but would have to prove loss of earnings/financial loss and that would be down to them to do in court. This is quite a good article covering most points - https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/medi...t-of-my-job-without-working-my-notice-period/

Actually that isn't true AFAIK, even if you don't have a contract a notice period can be assumed. Obvs a bit of a moot point now if the poster is working his notice. But you can't just walk out without risking the same repercussions as you may face with a defined notice period contained in an employment contract. Your link says give at least a week in this situation.

Commissario
Actually that isn't true AFAIK, even if you don't have a contract a notice period can be assumed. Obvs a bit of a moot point now if the poster is working his notice. But you can't just walk out without risking the same repercussions as you may face with a defined notice period contained in an employment contract. Your link says give at least a week in this situation.
It does say to give a week, yes, but legally you can just walk out. If they tried to sue the employee I highly doubt it would get anywhere and if it got to court it would be dismissed fairly quickly.

Soldato
Had more news, if you can call it that, from a colleague who was involved in a conference call with our company’s GM. Essentially ships are being cut from the fleet, they have a number for now but state that they may change. When asked when we would know that the selections for redundancies were over, the answer involved the phrase ‘ongoing process’, which was used a lot, meaning if you haven't had your notice yet, that doesn’t mean it won’t be coming in the future, and who knows when they’ll decide that they’ve cut enough. :(

Time to get the CV dusted off and get job hunting, as I can’t live with this uncertainty hanging over me, and no indication when this might pass. I can’t believe a company with the reputation, and profile my employer has can treat people so abysmally.

Bigger the company the worst it treats people I find, you're an employee number to them, nothing more. You need to look after yourself and put their business second. took me a long time to figure that out.

Soldato
Anyone have any tips for improving the mood of the working environment? I work in a medium sized office of around 50 staff. There's a few individuals that are constantly berating the business and targetting specific people, I get the impression, since they moan about others to me, they no doubt moan to others about me also.

I'm generally a positive guy in the workplace and can understand that not everything is perfect and ultimately, if it were, we'd be out of jobs anyway. But it's difficult to stay motivated and focused when the people around you are miserable and annoying.

It's not as though I can get away from it as they're on the same team as me and come to me to offload.

Just be honest and tell them that yes stuff can be annoying but by dwelling on it and sharing it they are just continuing the cycle.

Or look online for "The art of being brilliant" and it talks about mood hoovers (dementors if you like harry potter) and about being the opposite, a 2%er! For a company of 50, it may benefit the entire business to look at booking a day course for the business. it does have a good effect on employee's

Soldato
Just be honest and tell them that yes stuff can be annoying but by dwelling on it and sharing it they are just continuing the cycle.

Or look online for "The art of being brilliant" and it talks about mood hoovers (dementors if you like harry potter) and about being the opposite, a 2%er! For a company of 50, it may benefit the entire business to look at booking a day course for the business. it does have a good effect on employee's

Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm normally quite skeptical of these types of things but open minded enough to have a look!

On the one hand I find it quite charming that they come to me and offload but other times I'm struggling to keep myself motivated and, when they come along to have the their say, I just don't have the energy.

Soldato
Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm normally quite skeptical of these types of things but open minded enough to have a look!

On the one hand I find it quite charming that they come to me and offload but other times I'm struggling to keep myself motivated and, when they come along to have the their say, I just don't have the energy.

I've been exactly where you are but it brings you down and ruins you, slowly over time you turn into this bitter person no one likes. They are mood hoovers, they suck your happy mood away. It's sounds like a daft subjects but it's basically built around what you already do, when you tell yourself "stop being a drip and cheer up!" it's about making the choice to be happier and more motivated.

Soldato
OP
UPDATES:

- Back in a contract. Good thing, as I was expecting some money to come in, and it still hasn't, so could do with some cash :p that said, it's day two and I've got my badge but no laptop yet. Hopefully tomorrow but only if I have a Swiss keyboard layout... I'll take it for now and then swap it out when they get me a US one. I've been crazy busy on my own businesses so it's been nice to ease back in. Hopefully it's not utter chaos when I do properly start though. The role is an Application Service Manager for some Logistics tool.

- Path Foundation: Met with an HR fund in London yesterday, think they're more traditional VC than Blockchain token VC fund, but they want to see me in June. Networking for business development if nothing else. Was interviewed for CryptoStandard a HK based company writing reports on Blockchain companies, this one is HR related, so that should get some good PR.
We're getting the prototype app side finished, we have finished the smart contract side of things and I'm lining an attorney up to talk to to iron out some concerns for our Badgr partnership. That will be a great step. On other partnerships; in the digital credentials space there were 3 top players. 1. Credly, 2. Badgr, 3. Acclaim. Credly just acquired Acclaim and as we've previously spoken and were lining something up with the Acclaim guys, who is now the CXO at Credly, we're revisiting talks to partner with the newly huge company. This would be massive.
On top of that I've been introduced to the Uni of Basel who are putting degree certs on the blockchain but in no actual useful way, so we're going to get them to use Path instead. Will then aim for some other unis in the area, and I just spoke to the CEO of a recruitment company (that I go through for my contract and have known for 7yrs) who want to use Path firstly to verify candidates but he also said he'd put me in touch with all HR depts. of big companies in Basel, too.
Lastly I had another couple of calls today about partnerships; one being a company called TiiQu, we are going to have an agreement where we can verify each others certs, so doesn't matter who's client pushed it to the chain, we'll be able to verify each others and a token swap will occur. They are not huge but still good.
The other is a small company called badge list, they have a solid customer base, but pretty small fry compared to the 15k customers (not users, customers) that Badgr have.
We are also hiring a social / comms/ marketing manager for 1% of tokens if you know anyone...

- Emotuit: Had a ballache with azure and our machines on there, which took me an age to spin up our website back on a new host. Managed to do that but still need to get our app server and LMS server transferred to a new host. Azure were charging me stupid amounts.
We had some good news with Arizona state uni, they're using canvas LMS now and not blackboard, so the hurdle we hit before should be a non issue and we've completed all contracts so will be able to run through their test/staging environments and then should have them onboarded. I need to sort the above machines out first mind. Ugh.
I also met with Uni of Phoenix who I've met before and after a good chat he said he'd put me on to their analytics people. Will see if that happens...
Still waiting to hear back from Roche about the potential development project we had proposed to them around a learning analytics solution, I followed up today.
While I was off work I sent an email to the head of learning innovation here at Novartis (the one that put me forward for the job I'm now glad I didn't get) and told him I was going to make him buy my stuff now I didn't work there. We met and chatted emotuit and he said one thing he knew that they would be interested in, would be instant feedback on webinars (one tool they use is adobe connect) that provides the host with a simple needle list gauge to show engaged vs. not, with traffic light indicators on participants and a simple report emailed to the host afterwards with engagement vs. time averages. We don't have the internal resource for this, so I've found someone who could do it for $1200, which I think is very reasonable. I'm kicking that off and have setup a time in 6 weeks to demo it to Novartis. Would be a great resell if I could do that and license it at $2.50 a user license per year to them.
That lot is keeping me pretty busy for the time on emotuit and are my main priorities at the mo.

VolAir - I figured I had too much time on my hands and while in the pub with some mates, I joked that planning things for all of the above was such a bind. We should just do something ludicrous. I came up with VolAir - private jet chartering on the blockchain. Now, it started as just that, but as the journey has gone on, it's kind of snowballed. Like a kayak for private jet chartering, but then more luxury lifestyle and private jets (full service), but then moved into more of a tiered system, but then with a sales analytics element to help our partners sell more to their customers (I like analytics so it seemed fitting).
I've got an ex jet smarter person from Dubai interested in heading up the middle east side, I'm talking to the Chief Architect for NetJets about an advisor role and I've been already talking to a lot of 3rd parties about partnerships to list on our app.
Technology wise the white paper will be done this week, but we've already launched our testnet and wallets and will be going our initial app next to pull it all together. Also hiring some people on this side, both marketing/ community management and blockchain side, too.

AND BREATHE.

That's me up to date. I think...

Soldato
OP
On top of this I managed to put my back out and then got caught doing 176kph in a 90kph restricted part of the motorway and detained and had my car and license confiscated. I need to drop off a 750euro fine tomorrow and see what else they want to punish me with. I expect another hefty fine added to this. What a moron I am, I know.

Soldato
OP
Oh hello week. How are you doing? It's wednesday isn't it? You good? Yea, me too.

This damn ASM role is going to start annoying me. They detailed the role as ITSM focussed and I love a bit of process. Everything is in excel spreadsheets or emails. CHRIST ON A SHINY ******* BIKE! That and my meetings start at 17:00 - 20:00 due to the US and that cuts well into my {insert any business I'm working on} time like hell.

But, you know, whatev Trevs.

How's all?

Soldato
How did you get on re. speeding?

Just finished up filing all paperwork/contacts/leads I have accumulated over the years, removed any personal files and details from the work laptop ready to head over to Dublin and hand them all back and enjoy a leaving party tomorrow!

Official finish date is 8th June but after tomorrow I can chill out a bit, Police start date is 16th July so a nice break!

Back
Top Bottom