This Business and Moment...

Soldato
OP
How did you get on re. speeding?
Got court on 11th July. They're keeping my license and car until then. Good job I like to cycle! They were really nice. I am a firm believer in being nice wherever possible. I'm not denying it, or contesting it, so you know. Got chatting bikes with them as they cycle and they were asking if I ride locally and if I'm on Strava ha

Ah beautiful mate! What a feeling! Hope you enjoy the time off and new chapter.

I have worked out I'm currently doing 4 jobs, but really loving every (nearly) minute. So many great things popping up and it's varied as anything. I can't wait to lockdown a couple of these things in writing and then I'll be announcing the crap out of them.

noj

noj

Associate
After months of stress and a massive let down on a project I finally got word through that, yes my salary doesn't reflect the job I do, so getting a 28% payrise backdated to start of year and will be reflected in upcoming bonus calculations.

Quite please with that outcome

Soldato
I've bitten the bullet and decided to scale up. It's been a fun 2.5 years working with my mate, and just having the two of us in the company has allowed us to grow into the right markets. We've had a very decent start to the year, hopefully it'll lead to us doubling our revenue for 18/19 and see us hit a totally arbitrary but very satisfying bank balance, and I've been purposefully retaining profits in the company in order to expand when the time is right. Well, that time is now. At 34 I'm probably never going to have a set of conditions as flexible as I do now in order to grow it.

We've taken a two year lease on some awesome office space just off the Southbank, with loads of great restaurants and pubs in the area. The offices themselves are great, in that we're a corner office of a former warehouse building. Being in the corner means we've floor to ceiling windows on 2 of the 4 walls, and a balcony which looks towards the Shard on one side and the Gherkin across the river on the other. It could comfortably fit 10 staff, and represents a fairly large investment for a firm of our small stature. Hopefully it's the type of space that'll attract staff.

It's going to be a very weird thing getting back into the management mind frame again. Been years since I've done it, and my colleague and I have largely perfected our own techniques in the office. Now we're going to have to put together a proper structure for training and processes (GDPR being one of these - amended our database recently and the privacy policy email goes out tomorrow). I'm acutely aware that someone's fledgling career will be in the palm of my hands, so I'll be taking this as seriously as required. That said, I reckon I can offer new employees a decent environment where they'll get plenty of responsibility as and when they develop in the role, loads of support, a positive and friendly environment and strong total comp too.

Moving in to the new offices early August, to coincide with us transferring to a more modern software package. Am also hoping to sell my flat (after a repaint, new shower room, etc.) and move back to South-West London too. So it's going to be a year of significant change, and the first time I'll have properly commuted since 2012 - and even then it was a 20 mins train journey! Those 7.30am SWT routes into Waterloo don't look like too much fun from where I'm sitting - a 7 min walk from my flat to the office).

Associate
So I was interviewing with a company over the course of the last 2.5-3 months. The last 4 weeks have been me waiting in limbo to hear if it was a yay or nay (which was slowly but surely starting to stress me out). They did warn me it would be a few weeks but it felt like an eternity. At the end of 3 weeks I dropped them a friendly mail, & was told they were getting close; I was the top candidate for the UK but there were on-going interviews in the US.

Today I got the good news call, huzzah! Now to finalise the paperwork, relocate (within the UK) & get my life back on track. :D

After the call I wasn't sure if to jump up & down or go take a nap :p.

Soldato
OP
What do you do @toshj ?
He's in recruitment. High end. He started a practice with him and an old friend.

@toshj great to see! I think it's a great time to do it, you have to roll the dice :) Saying that I'm Mr. all out balls out, so not exactly risk adverse, but as you say you've had a good run at the moment, so it's well timed. You'll smash it! How's your mate getting on?

Soldato
OP
So I was interviewing with a company over the course of the last 2.5-3 months. The last 4 weeks have been me waiting in limbo to hear if it was a yay or nay (which was slowly but surely starting to stress me out). They did warn me it would be a few weeks but it felt like an eternity. At the end of 3 weeks I dropped them a friendly mail, & was told they were getting close; I was the top candidate for the UK but there were on-going interviews in the US.

Today I got the good news call, huzzah! Now to finalise the paperwork, relocate (within the UK) & get my life back on track. :D

After the call I wasn't sure if to jump up & down or go take a nap :p.

Congrats! I bet that feels like a huge relief!

Soldato
What do you do @toshj ?

Headhunting - you built our initial website about 5 years ago :)

@toshj great to see! I think it's a great time to do it, you have to roll the dice :) Saying that I'm Mr. all out balls out, so not exactly risk adverse, but as you say you've had a good run at the moment, so it's well timed. You'll smash it! How's your mate getting on?

Conversely I am quite risk averse, and only tend to push into new areas when I have significant resources to do so. It's probably meant missing out on a few opportunities in the process, but does give me a settling peace of mind. I had a 6 month period of intense anxiety about a decade ago owing to stress within a demanding and excessive work environment, and keen to keep all that noise to a minimum now.

My friend is doing well thanks. Having talked him off the ledge about 9 months ago after he was hit by work stress, he's got everything in line and is recruiting into some very interesting areas - PE, VC and M&A firms focusing on financial services (inc. fintech). He's getting to the point where his good reputation precedes him, which helps no end. I'm trying to encourage him to do more work out in the US, which is taking a bit more effort than I imagined but I'm sure he'll come round soon.

He's been quite comfortable recently, which is great to see, but with our new hiring and company structure in place more is going to be asked of him from a management and process-following perspective. Lets see how he responds! Instead of hiring junior staff and have them run amok in the market - like many of our competitors - we're going to run two teams headed up by me and him. Our new staff will then operate in research capacities (but in roles that require lots of external communication) that support each team, and will be educated over a period of a couple of years to a strong level of market competence. I hate the model of having a 10 person recruitment firm where each of the 10 staff is responsible for their own activities and therefore operate within their own self-set environment. Having started my career in such a firm, the stories I can tell you about ****-ups would make you squirm... It's a sure fire way to **** off clients, candidates, etc.

Having two or three dedicated teams in specific areas of the market should hopefully give us a huge resource to make a large impact in that space, whilst keeping oversight of activities.

Reading all of your activities @randomshenans, I honestly don't know how you have the time or energy to keep on top of so many projects at once! I think I'd keel over under the weight of my own expectation. Bravo sir!

Last edited:
Soldato
@toshj . Iyou mentioned US work, do you headhunt for finance jobs in NYC?

Yes! Although we recruit into very niche markets. If you're looking to make the move out there, I'd certainly recommend your best option being to join a bank or fund in London and then moving internally. Although it does depend on the sector and your geographic mobility.

Associate
Yes! Although we recruit into very niche markets. If you're looking to make the move out there, I'd certainly recommend your best option being to join a bank or fund in London and then moving internally. Although it does depend on the sector and your geographic mobility.

Wife has just accepted a role out there on a L1 visa which means after a bit of good old usa bureaucracy I can get a work permit. I work for a London hedge fund we have a satalite office in Stamford while they are keen to keep me they can't move my role out there so I'll probably be on the market sometime early next year

Soldato
Wife has just accepted a role out there on a L1 visa which means after a bit of good old usa buroccracy I can get a work permit. I work for a London hedge fund we have a satalite office in Stamford while they are keen to keep me they can't move my role out there so I'll probably be on the market sometime early next year

Awesome, whereabouts is your wife's job based? And what do you focus on?

Soldato
She will be working off times square for a media company. Most of my experience is in treasury/funding but recently took a sideways step to a data projects role

I'm sure you'll find loads of treasury opportunities out there if you don't stick it out with your current firm. Might be a few perks you staying put though - annual leave, etc. And Stamford isn't far from Manhattan by commuter train.

Soldato
@toshj

I have been looking over the last few pages and have noticed you explaining your plans for recruiting more experienced staff. Would you be looking for compliance admin staff?

Hi! I'm afraid not at this stage. We're only two people at present. Big plans to get to 8+ staff in the next two years, but a company that size wouldn't require any dedicated administration staff I'm afraid. If I do hear of anything along those lines I'll be sure to let you know.

Soldato
Hi! I'm afraid not at this stage. We're only two people at present. Big plans to get to 8+ staff in the next two years, but a company that size wouldn't require any dedicated administration staff I'm afraid. If I do hear of anything along those lines I'll be sure to let you know.
Thank you! Its very specific what I am after, I am already in what I want to do its just I would like to broaden my horizons. :D

Back
Top Bottom