This Business and Moment...

Soldato
OP
That's amazing!

I don't suppose you have a link/name for the project, I'd love to read about it :)
Of course: https://pathfoundation.io - essentially taking digital credentials to the blockchain, standardizing data formats and making them useful for people in the real world. We are not the only ones doing it, but I have some utterly huge partnerships in the pipeline, so hoping we'll be the biggest!

Huge congrats, that is a genuinely amazing achievement!

Thank you! Means a lot. Busy times ahead mind! But hey, when's that been a change?

Man of Honour
Have a potential big 'City' opportunity that would involve moving from my current abode with my partner. Haven't applied yet, but I think if I got the role, I'd have to give it go (because if it's otherwise a coin toss, change MUST be better)... but I frankly can't imagine tolerating a desk job much more stressful than my current one, and I bet this would be worse. I also don't need more money... Hmm. At what point it is worth sitting back and saying 'pfffft that'll do pig'? Worried that if I pursue such glory I'll end up in my late 50s, sat upon a throne of skulls drinking the blood of my colleagues...

i1If0k4.jpg

...probably alone :( :p

Soldato
OP
It's a hard one isn't it? It's something only you can answer though. For me I just feel like I can't sit and do the same thing, it drives me nuts! It's not even money related tbh, it's the drive for learning and doing more and I suppose the journey in that. Again, only you know what you're like and if you can put up with your job now, and it gives you all you need from somewhere you spend most your life, outside of the money aspect.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the comments!
It's a hard one isn't it? It's something only you can answer though. For me I just feel like I can't sit and do the same thing, it drives me nuts! It's not even money related tbh, it's the drive for learning and doing more and I suppose the journey in that. Again, only you know what you're like and if you can put up with your job now, and it gives you all you need from somewhere you spend most your life, outside of the money aspect.
The current job is a good job, all things considered - lots of learning, variety and challenging. The downside, if any, is that it can be extremely challenging (long hours I can tolerate, it’s more the LOLWTFBBQ that you have to achieve with no notice that’s the problem - legal sector, if you were wondering).

I feel it’s somewhat a case of ‘chasing bigger things’ that sound exciting, on paper (and, let’s be honest... £££££). But I’m not feeling ‘pushed away’ from my current role, if that makes sense and I certainly don’t feel underpaid either (well, in the context of what those in this sector work for... which some may consider to be a joke considering it’s notoriously soul crushing nature... that’s me just being jelly of crinkleshoes though).
Is there anything you can pursue in your spare time to challenge yourself/have the extra success? Recently bought in Bristol? Maybe it feels small to you now because of uni etc, but objectively speaking that part of the World is lovely.

Just think, even if you apply, get it, accept it, then do really well... you’ll still only be a tinker in a land of huge swinging ****s. You’re not going to get to the top of the pile, so at some point you’re going to have to deal with a ‘that’ll do pig’ moment. That’s nothing against your abilities etc etc, I just mean that there will always being something more, so drawing a line somewhere is an inevitability (outside of the World of Silicon Valley gazillionaires).

The way you mentioned the stress makes me think it’s a bad idea, but obviously I’m guessing without knowing anything about your personality, your current job, or the potential job!

Is this internal? If so I guess you need to ask around. But if external you may as well apply and feel it out throughout the process.
Yup it’s true - fully concede I will never be on top, just stuck making some millionaires even more money :( :p

Still in Bristol and loving it. Again, another terrible reason to move to London! External role too.

I am someone that is described by close friends as being susceptible to stress but then... I’d say it’s pretty much relentlessly stressful work and having to be ultra fussy all day at works leads to one being ultra fussy outside of work :(

Maybe I should go into gardening...

Will let you know what happens!

Edit - yes, pursuing additional goals outside of work may well be an excellent idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's been a couple of weeks since I started the new contract back at Novartis as an Application Service Manager... how is it? All good? UGH. The project is awful as the people couldn't manage to tie their shoes let alone sort this **** out. Honestly, it's so ****, but hey, I can do very little and still make a huge difference. I just tell people what to do as much as I can.

But on top of the UN award, which is amazing and I'm made up about it! Honestly so pleased. Path has some really interesting stuff going on right now.

Then, we have just on-boarded a really lovely Cali lady at VolAir as a community manager/ social manager which is great for us. We also signed on an advisor from Jet Smarter which is huge, too. I spoke to another Jet Smarter person Friday who was really keen and great for us and what we're doing. To top that off, we've just received advisor contracts through from 3 of the top 10 advisors on ICO bench!
https://icobench.com/people

Vladimir Nikitin
Nikolay Shkilev
Phillip Nunn

All will be joining the VolAir team :) and it's only Tuesday. This week is going to get whopped! :D

I'm sitting here pleased as punch and having a beer while getting some work done!

Soldato
OP
How's everyone getting on?

I'm just in London today for a meeting with some HR people. We've been doing some cool stuff in all spaces at the moment, really pleased with everything. Our new community manager is fab and just running with it all. Top job. I now have some investor stuff to dig into as well as finishing some docs while I sit here in a coffee shop in London.

How are we all?

Commissario
How's everyone getting on?

I'm just in London today for a meeting with some HR people. We've been doing some cool stuff in all spaces at the moment, really pleased with everything. Our new community manager is fab and just running with it all. Top job. I now have some investor stuff to dig into as well as finishing some docs while I sit here in a coffee shop in London.

How are we all?
Work is slow and dull, and I'm still having to chase for payments (I started here at the end of February and have been paid once!)

Definitely coming back to the UK at the end of the contract and find something in London from September. There's a lot of work floating around in my area and it's nice to be in demand, just hope that continues in the next few months!

Caporegime
Work is slow and dull, and I'm still having to chase for payments (I started here at the end of February and have been paid once!)

Definitely coming back to the UK at the end of the contract and find something in London from September. There's a lot of work floating around in my area and it's nice to be in demand, just hope that continues in the next few months!
Can you look into securing a position before you come back. Maybe reach out and say "I can do this but only from September" (or whenever you're back from) - often companies will wait for the right person.

Commissario
Can you look into securing a position before you come back. Maybe reach out and say "I can do this but only from September" (or whenever you're back from) - often companies will wait for the right person.
If I was looking for a permanent role then yeh definitely, my previous boss jumped ship not long ago and already wants me to join him with a very attractive salary & package, but I want to stay contracting for a few more years to build up some savings!

I've been contacted by a number of recruiters recently and each time I've told them something along the lines of 'thanks, I'm interested but unfortunately not available until September so please stay in touch' which has gone down well :)

Commissario
That's a bunch of ********. You getting paid directly or through an agency? That's a shame, really messes with your life if you can't rely on your salary!
It's quite a complex setup, I'll post the chain:

Ikea > European Agency > Recruiter > Invoice/Payment company > Me

The European Agency get my invoices at the end of the month, or the first few days of the next month, and then sit on it and/or wait for Ikea to pay them. I really don't understand why it's such a long process, the payment terms were 45 days in the contract which isn't unheard of (I've seen cases where payment can be up to 90 days!)

And yeh funds are getting quite tight now!

Soldato
Has anyone had any experience selling direct into Amazon? (not FBA). Moving more B2C with our product range after NHS tightened their belts and only just starting the transition. Tested one product with self fulfilment and had good enough sales to put forward the idea of FBA but now we've been approached for other products to be sold direct to Amazon. Are they aggressive on the margins? Already seen they charge for marketing and "accidents" (why are we charged if they screw up?) but the "ship and forget" for these products does appeal as there's very little to go wrong, we've had other approaches from retail but those are progressing slow. Anything to look out for or any regrets?

Man of Honour
Yay! Been looking for a new contract as mine finishes this week and been there 3 years, and I’ve been so lucky given it’s 10 minutes away and I get to work from home most of the week.

Was resigned to having to stay over somewhere or commute a distance every day, and having been offered a couple of contracts up in Leicester or Peterborough, I was close to taking one when I got offered one in Portsmouth today...and then they asked if I’d work in their Reading office day to day, which means hardly any commute again! Yay!

And the best part is, it’s nearly double my existing day rate! I’m absolutely delighted

Icing on the cake is they don’t want me to start until the 9th of July so I get a week off whereas the other roles were 2nd July start

So so happy! Not just because of the money and being close to home, but it’s a very exciting opportunity that will look great on my CV

Beers on me!

Man of Honour
Thank you, thank you!

I'm a little nervous given that it will take me out my comfort zone where I've been for so long, and there will be a lot of expectation. Doubting myself, the usual. But I'm sure I'll be fine once I'm in the door and begin working

Soldato
OP
Nah, you got this. Natural to feel a bit like that, but you'll be grand.

I just had an email from a guy who I presented Path to in London a couple of weeks ago. He grilled me there and wasn't from HR but was a serial entrepreneur in the real sense (used to be CEO of Public company, left and started up 5 companies, one of which has IPO'd) and I thought I answered well, but you never know. Anyway, he emailed me about one of his companies and he wants me to fly over to London to meet him and the CEO to discuss how I can help that company. Can't really say too much about it as yet, and no idea what the terms will look like etc. But he since called me up and went through their whole model and said he thinks I can help the business so wants to see how he can get me involved.
Looks like I'll be flying to London 18th July to speak to them and do some interesting work... see where this takes me?

Back
Top Bottom