This Instant And Moment - 2024!

Soldato
I had a very similar experience to this last year! Wrecked my shoulder/neck moving house, and had trapped nerves. Basically the nerve group for my entire shoulder and left arm were pinched and inflamed.

Decent painkillers were amazing - I would just pass out once they kicked in, so clearly had been exhausted missing sleep from the pain. And really got an understanding how it must be for those with chronic pain issues. Impact on mental health and mood was palpable.

How long did it take for you to recover?

Day 5. Got a few hours sleep overnight, but left arm now hurts like hell! I spent most of the morning in codeine induced sleep. Woke up at 1.30, about a 4/10 on pain.

I'm about 60% sure I won't be going back to jiu jitsu when (if) I recover. I need a good think about risk of further injury.

@Jay85 If you have a trapped nerve, you'll know- it's very acute. My pain has been horrific- and I'm one of those "never show you're in pain" idiots. As luckybenski said, move as much as possible- that will help. Good luck! Convo me if you want my detailed symptoms list.

Last edited:
Soldato
How long did it take for you to recover?
Looking through my chat history, it looks like the real trouble started 2 weeks after actually straining myself. And then I had 10 days of pain (including emergency clinic visits, GP etc feeding me painkillers) before I got a physio session.

Then the first few physio sessions left me sore but marked the start of recovery. He also advised on a neuropathy pain medication to address the issue more directly. I think I had 6 weekly sessions of physio before deciding I was OK to stop. Then a few months of having a weak arm and going gently on it. So I'd say 1-2 months of really managing/treating it and then maybe up to the 6 month mark I was still "recovering"?

When winter came late 2023 some of the soreness did threaten me but I recognised it and went back to the stretches I was given :) Happy to talk more about it, it was a saga!

Edit: I think I was still prone to having breaks to lie down when painkillers kicked in a couple of times a day (WFH at a desk) - for maybe 3-4 weeks from the start.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking through my chat history, it looks like the real trouble started 2 weeks after actually straining myself. And then I had 10 days of pain (including emergency clinic visits, GP etc feeding me painkillers) before I got a physio session.

Then the first few physio sessions left me sore but marked the start of recovery. He also advised on a neuropathy pain medication to address the issue more directly. I think I had 6 weekly sessions of physio before deciding I was OK to stop. Then a few months of having a weak arm and going gently on it. So I'd say 1-2 months of really managing/treating it and then maybe up to the 6 month mark I was still "recovering"?

When winter came late 2023 some of the soreness did threaten me but I recognised it and went back to the stretches I was given :) Happy to talk more about it, it was a saga!

Edit: I think I was still prone to having breaks to lie down when painkillers kicked in a couple of times a day (WFH at a desk) - for maybe 3-4 weeks from the start.

Thanks- very helpful! Depending on progress, I might convo you.

I'm pretty sure I also had about 2 weeks lag from injury to the pain. I had my neck cranked (by an over-aggressive roidy idiot- ffs it's sparring, not a competition!) in training and heard a click. I wasn't happy, but no immediate impact, so wrote it off. Looking back, I'm pretty sure that was it.

I'm seeing a chiropractor for the next couple of months and hope that will help. I'm just lucky I can afford to pay, so have that option.

After the pain of sunday/Monday I will gladly take any improvement gladly.

Soldato
Get moving! Movement keeps these things at bay even if your base posture is bad IMO.

Thats what i've been doing at work tbf, it helps a lot. I get up every hour or so and stretch my shoulders and neck.

Doesn't help when i get home though, as i'll spend hours sat infront of the computer again gaming or editing.

Caporegime
Doesn't help when i get home though, as i'll spend hours sat infront of the computer again gaming or editing.

Every little helps. I go for a 1km walk (round the block, basically) every morning after breakfast. 10 minutes, too short to complain you don't have time, unintrusive enough to build a habit around. Could you do something like that?

Last edited:
Soldato
Every little helps. I go for a 1km walk (round the block, basically) every morning after breakfast. 10 minutes, too short to complain you don't have time, unintrusive enough to build a habit around. Could you do something like that?

Absolutely could tbf, i did also start a new gym membership so there's that too. Been trying to get back into shape as i feel im letting myself go.

Caporegime
I've been feeding the ducks at the local park, well mainly grooming the female ones with Floating pellets for ducks.
I've been going through nearly a 700g bag a day for about a week.

Thought I'd give them a boost during mating season and give them a good chance of laying some decent eggs.
but with the amount of idiots that buy a whole loaf of bread to feed them I'm probably wasting my time...

Those imbeciles will feed the ducklings bread, they get no nutrition and die.

I literally saw 5 different people within 3 hours all with a loaf of bread one day as I was sat listening to an audio book.

Decided to switch to a different lake away from a student area, and more out the way so less people will visit.

some old geezer is sat on one corner of the lake with like 6 different Tupperware boxes full peas, sweetcorn, porridge oats, seeds etc.

The guy even has a massive Heron sat in some reeds about 3 ft away wondering wtf this geezer is doing :cry:

Never saw a Heron so close to humans before, it didn't even flinch as I walked past

Last edited:
Caporegime
not literally dood.
I just walk around the lake feeding all the female ducks and their partner, ignoring all the gangs of male ducks as I pass them.

The females recognise me now and run out the water towards me as soon as they see me coming, then stand right next to my feet waiting.

Seen a few males trying to gang up on the females already, most the times the pair just flies away or the male will try to fight back.
on occasion one will grabs another by the head and to try and drown it, seems ducks are way to buoyant and it doesn't work.

Geese seem to act like bouncers breaking up any fights too which is kinda cool

if you own ducks as a small holder you would have 1 male per 3 females, or the females won't survive.

Last edited:
Caporegime
not literally dood.
I just walk around the lake feeding all the female ducks and their partner, ignoring all the gangs of male ducks as I pass them.

The females recognise me now and run out the water towards me as soon as they see me coming, then stand right next to my feet waiting.

Seen a few males trying to gang up on the females already, most the times the pair just flies away or the male will try to fight back.
on occasion one will grabs another by the head and to try and drown it, seems ducks are way to buoyant and it doesn't work.

Geese seem to act like bouncers breaking up any fights too which is kinda cool

if you own ducks as a small holder you would have 1 male per 3 females, or the females won't survive.

I managed to get a female goose so friendly she sat on my lap. Wild Canada goose. Was pretty cool that.

Caporegime
I managed to get a female goose so friendly she sat on my lap. Wild Canada goose. Was pretty cool that.
I saw one guy before sitting on a Bench with a duck sitting on the back rest part eating out his hand.

I don't really want too be touching them though, I'm sure they are likely to have mites etc and they probably shouldn't get that friendly with humans in a park setting anyway.

Too many idiots about, like dog walkers who think it's fun when their dog is off the lead in a park
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-63093837 :rolleyes:

Caporegime
9sdajHW.jpeg

bpToiCS.jpeg

Rainbow isn't an artifact. It was from the spray from the fall.

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad to hear you're on the mend. Have you had a diagnosis? Or just one of those all so common "we dunno"?

Chiropractor says trapped nerves in neck, which matches up to my Internet checking.

Apparently the best cure is rest.

BTW, is that glynneath falls?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom