Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Even if they are not MCS certified or have been installed to a poor standard, they are still using the same hardware as one that is.

Everything on the mainstream market is certified otherwise none of the mainstream installers will touch it and none of the wholesalers stock it.

Caporegime
Still not sure if the July prices for ECO 7 have come in yet. But just did a quick quote

New Tarrif

Unit rate (day)
28.47p /kWh
Unit rate (night)
12.05p /kWh
Daily standing charge

55.34p /day

Compared to current tarrif

Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed July 2023 v1
Ending 28/07/2024

DAY RATE
36.17 p/kWh
NIGHT RATE
15.31 p/kWh
STANDING CHARGE
45.66p/day

Last edited:
Soldato
Those prices for Eco 7 are brutal compared to Octopus Go and Intelligent Go.

Do you actually need eco7?

Edit: The SVR is 22p now isn’t it? You’ve got to use a lot of overnight power to offset that 36p day rate!

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this thread now finished? Eon next have emailed me putting my monthly DD down to £159 a month which is basically back down to pre pandemic levels for us as a family.
mine is down but still far from pre pandemic levels.

back in 2019 I was paying 15p kWh 2:30am - 8:30pm then 5.5p from 8:30pm - 2:30am.
I can't remember SC exactly but at a guess around 25p
never say never but I think it will be a while before I see that price again

Last edited:
Soldato
No GAS, all Storage Heaters etc
Thats typical eco 7 territory but I’d be running the numbers as those costs are still brutal.

Have you looked to see if Octopus go works for you and if you can blag your way onto it? The T&C’s state you need an EV but as far as I am aware, there are no formal checks.

From July it is 5 hours overnight at 8.5p and the day rate is 22-24p depending on your area.

Likewise, Agile could be a better option.

Associate
@Neil79

You would save a fortune on the GO tariff, I'm on GO with no EV, I just phoned them up asking to go on the "GO" tariff, stating that I had a house battery that needed charging at night for 4 or 5 hours.
I've been on GO, then Go Faster, now back on GO over the last 3 years and I'll be renewing on GO again in September.

5 hours charging on the SH will be fine.
Get a referral link, that £50 will get you a lot of free energy @ 8.5p a unit.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@Neil79

You would save a fortune on the GO tariff, I'm on GO with no EV, I just phoned them up asking to go on the "GO" tariff, stating that I had a house battery that needed charging at night for 4 or 5 hours.
I've been on GO, then Go Faster, now back on GO over the last 3 years and I'll be renewing on GO again in September.

5 hours charging on the SH will be fine.
Get a referral link, that £50 will get you a lot of free energy @ 8.5p a unit.

Awesome, thank you, i'll do that

Would the change mess up the ECO 7 switch over? As when it hits midnight it clicks as it changes over to the night rate

Last edited:
Associate
Awesome, thank you, i'll do that

Would the change mess up the ECO 7 switch over? As when it hits midnight it clicks as it changes over to the night rate

I take it you have a smart meter installed, as this is needed for "GO"

My smart meter(SMET2), when it was installed was set up for the E7 settings, when I switched to "GO" I just used a Sonoff switch to turn the SH on during the GO cheap rate.
Worked well for me, but we only had one SH in use at the time for background heat.

The GO times will be 00.30- 5.30AM.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I take it you have a smart meter installed, as this is needed for "GO"

My smart meter(SMET2), when it was installed was set up for the E7 settings, when I switched to "GO" I just used a Sonoff switch to turn the SH on during the GO cheap rate.
Worked well for me, but we only had one SH in use at the time for background heat.

The GO times will be 00.30- 5.30AM.

Sure do!

Just wonder what to say to the energy company to change the tarrif to GO..

The storage heater is one of those new digital ones with set charge time etc :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
ECO 7

ENDING

Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed July 2023 v1
Ending 28/07/2024

DAY RATE
36.17 p/kWh
NIGHT RATE
15.31 p/kWh
STANDING CHARGE
45.66p/day
(All rates inc. VAT)

FIXED

Unit rate (day) 29.55p /kWh
Unit rate (night) 12.51p /kWh
Daily standing charge 55.34p /day
Early exit fee £0

OCTOPUS GO

Day rate (04:30 - 00:30):
27.98p / kWh
Night rate
(00:30 - 04:30):
9p / kWh

Standing charge:
54.83p / day

I'm going to find out today, especially as I can set my storage heaters manually to charge at set times. Granted it's only 12.30 till 4.30

Soldato
Octopus go drops to 8.5p and has an extra hour from tomorrow.

Edit: don’t rule out Octpus Agile vs those SVR rates.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not unexpected given SVR lags tracker a few months.

I'd expect tracker to go above SVR shortly as SVR is expected to rise later in the year.

Soldato
Im thinking the same at the mo……

Tracker gas 4.8
Electric 20.2

Which is close to the svr now

That's not unexpected given SVR lags tracker a few months.

I'd expect tracker to go above SVR shortly as SVR is expected to rise later in the year.

Yeah there's no rush yet really as I'm not using much gas now until September time. But if tracker is likely to be higher than a fixed tariff in the coming winter I'd want to fix.

I'd fix gas at 4.3p and elec at 17p for sure. I think those are good prices to aim for.

Caporegime
Octopus go drops to 8.5p and has an extra hour from tomorrow.

Edit: don’t rule out Octpus Agile vs those SVR rates.

Nice, I'll wait till tomorrow then... That extra hour makes a huge difference for my storage heaters

Wonder if I should go for it and just say I have a battery?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah there's no rush yet really as I'm not using much gas now until September time. But if tracker is likely to be higher than a fixed tariff in the coming winter I'd want to fix.

I'd fix gas at 4.3p and elec at 17p for sure. I think those are good prices to aim for.

Who is offering those rates fixed at the moment? :)

Back
Top Bottom