This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
66 a month??
My 3 bed with 2 adults only is 80 a month.

Edit.
I tell a lie. It's 50.just checked my bill!
40 for 24 days.
So about 50 for a month

KHryj8q.jpg
that is because you are on cheap electricity. most people can't get that good a deal. (not a gripe , i too am Lucky but if you were paying the current cap it would be more I think

even so tho that is pretty frugal energy use. my gaming pc sups that much per month I suspect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think you've cocked something up in your spreadsheet. Your April 2022 is correct, but the Oct 22 should be £2432.37 PA, or £202.70 PM. You've applied the £400 discount on the Oct 22 already.
I'm getting £2,433.87 per annum (Electric £1,032.65 / Gas £1,401.22), or £202.82 per calendar month. Personally, I'd set the direct debit to £210/pcm.
Yep, I replicated the formulas from another column with the ofgem october rates where I had subtracted the £400, oops. Slightly less rosy picture now but the 25% makes sense now.

Caporegime
that is because you are on cheap electricity. most people can't get that good a deal. (not a gripe , i too am Lucky but if you were paying the current cap it would be more I think

even so tho that is pretty frugal energy use. my gaming pc sups that much per month I suspect.

We both work at home too.
gas is about 8-10 pounds on top for hot water and hobs.

In my head it was more

Last edited:
Soldato

He is, the current unit rate is about 30p, on October 1st it's increasing to 42p *(would have been 62p without the gov cap). Current SC is 44p and actually reducing with octopus.

* Rounded up octopus energy flexible rates

Last edited:
Caporegime
He is, the current unit rate is about 30p, on October 1st it's increasing to 42p *(would have been 62p without the gov cap).

* Rounded up octopus energy flexible rates

Its not toooo far from the current cap though. It would only be a bit more a month. 70 a month? Ish.

But yes. On the new one it will be a bigger gap.

Last edited:
Don
66 a month??
My 3 bed with 2 adults only is 80 a month.

Edit.
I tell a lie. It's 50.just checked my bill!
40 for 24 days.
So about 50 for a month

KHryj8q.jpg

Electricity usage for 2 kids really doesn't increase the amount a whole lot. We all watch the same TV when its on, when using the oven we're using the same electric as cooking for 1 person that you'd use for cooking for 6 etc. When using the dishwasher, you use the same saucepans and pans to cook for 2 as you do for 4, you just have a couple of extra plates besides.

The biggest difference is largely going to be the more frequent use of the washing machine but on an eco run it uses only pennies anyway. Most of the electric appliances that the kids use are all low-powered, mobile phones, tablets and the like. My biggest background drain is my fridge and my wifi/router plus a few smart devices (around 100w) - there's no reducing that.

Its not toooo far from the current cap though. It would only be a bit more a month. 70 a month? Ish.

I accept my monthly costs will go up from 1st October though

Last edited:
Soldato

Yeah it's not a massive increase for you. I think with the SC it would increase to about £80 or there abouts.

Last edited:
Soldato
Electricity usage for 2 kids really doesn't increase the amount a whole lot. We all watch the same TV when its on, when using the oven we're using the same electric as cooking for 1 person that you'd use for cooking for 6 etc. When using the dishwasher, you use the same saucepans and pans to cook for 2 as you do for 4, you just have a couple of extra plates besides.

The biggest difference is largely going to be the more frequent use of the washing machine but on an eco run it uses only pennies anyway. Most of the electric appliances that the kids use are all low-powered, mobile phones, tablets and the like. My biggest background drain is my fridge and my wifi/router plus a few smart devices (around 100w) - there's no reducing that.
I'm trying to convince the missus to stop using the tumble dryer, even though it's A rated it's our biggest drain. 4 bed house with 2 kids, I'm working from home as well half the week and it's £120 currently. Our gas usage isn't much at the moment, around £12 pcm because the kids (young) are being showered and not bathed. Heating has been reduced to 17 degrees now as well on the hive, jumpers and blankets all round.

Last edited:
Don
I'm trying to convince the missus to stop using the tumble dryer, even though it's A rated it's our biggest drain.

The tumble drier was absolutely our worst appliance last winter for electricity usage. We do a load of laundry almost every day (on average 6 times a week), and last winter we tumbled every load at £1-£2 per load. Its an old convection heated drier though. We've only used it once since March, and because we needed the clothes in a hurry to pack a suitcase.

Soldato
before we had a kid the tumble drier was a luxury. but in winter for us is it now a necessity. I suppose we could double up on his clothes but then our house would be like a Chinese laundry. (and they grow so fast we would spend a fortune on school uniform stuff)

Last edited:
Soldato
The tumble drier was absolutely our worst appliance last winter for electricity usage. We do a load of laundry almost every day (on average 6 times a week), and last winter we tumbled every load at £1-£2 per load. Its an old convection heated drier though. We've only used it once since March, and because we needed the clothes in a hurry to pack a suitcase.
We have to use it at times, made a real effort to hang outside over summer but come winter and the kids will need stuff drying, it's going to get used. Like I said it's a heat pump A rated version and probably doesn't cost huge amounts but it's still our greatest drain. I should swap it's smart plug for one of the energy monitoring ones we have.

Soldato
I’m not sure how that’s even possible, is that on a long-standing fix rather than the variable rate? And does that include SC?

Edit* I don’t mean that to come across as questioning if it’s the truth, I’m more envious :)
4 bed with 4 kids I have managed to get it down to 100kwh a week but it's not tumble dryer season yet

Soldato
actually I think our use is about to plummet. last month we used on average 15kwh a day but I was mining for a lot of that. this has stopped now probably for ever so I will likely be down to around 12kwh a day as well.

Soldato
get a heat pump dryer

My old Condenser dryer was 2600watts, the heat pump dryer i have now is only 800watts ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Heatpump probably is more efficient, but kwh used on a total run matters more than peak usage does.

Gotta compare oranges with oranges after all.
our heat pump does take a long time esp on big towel loads but even so it uses about 50% of the power of my old condenser.
extra bonus point because it only sips power our home battery has no trouble running it. my old condenser would have been a problem if we had any other device going at same time.

Last edited:
Soldato
our heat pump does take a long time esp on big towel loads but even so it uses about 50% of the power of my old condenser.
extra bonus point because it only sips power our home battery has no trouble running it. my old condenser would have been a problem if we had any other device going at same time.

The main extra cost of heat pump tumble driers and long eco wash setting on you washing machine is the wear and tear of your clothes.
As washing tend to account for up to 90% of wear and tear on clothes, the longer you take washing and tumbling, the lower amount of washes it takes before the clothes become unwearable.

Problem is the eco warriors don't factor this in. Clothing production is a major environmental concern too. :D
So if you had a fully renewable source of power, the fast non eco washing/drying would be better. :)

Back
Top Bottom