This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Man of Honour
So with adblock I'd never considered Youtube premium before, but now I find myself watching it more on my TV the ads are irritating, still not worth UK prices but for £4 a year I'll take it, which country is this again?

I've noticed a pattern with YT - "normally" ads aren't to bad though a lot more intrusive than they used to, but they'll go through a cycle of a significant increase in volume of ads and irritating/intrusive placement of ads for awhile followed by pushing ads for YT premium, then it dies off awhile repeat, so I refuse to subscribe to premium now, had it for awhile in 2018 when they were putting out a few decent exclusive shows, unless they either significantly increase what you get for your money or decrease the price.

Dunno what it is with so many companies now - instead of building a compelling offering they resort to manipulative tactics or trying to force people - Twitter for instance is almost if not hostile to people who try to use the site without an account - which ultimately just puts people off, rather than selling the benefits of having an account and increasing the value proposition of having an account - sure might brow beat some people into making an account but a lot will just turn to other sources.

Soldato
So with adblock I'd never considered Youtube premium before, but now I find myself watching it more on my TV the ads are irritating, still not worth UK prices but for £4 a year I'll take it, which country is this again?

I did this via Argentina, less than £2 a month for the family plan. It is the single best value outlay of money I have each month.

Associate
Don’t think so.

you can keep your eyes peeled for 12 month subscription keys on gift card websites though. I’ve spotted them on hotukdeals twice in the last month.

If you have Tesco clubcard vouchers you can exchange £8 worth of vouchers for a 6month subscription, which has an expiry date of 08/2023. Just stocked up on some myself.

Associate
If you have Tesco clubcard vouchers you can exchange £8 worth of vouchers for a 6month subscription, which has an expiry date of 08/2023. Just stocked up on some myself.

Thanks for posting this! My clubcard sub runs out at the end of next month, if I'd not seen this I would've missed the 6 month sub, so have just bought a couple of vouchers to get the next year of Disney+ for £16!

To quote, Every little helps :D

Soldato
Just discovered a power saving tip that might help some depending on your setup - we had a new boiler installed and got the plumber to rebalance all the rads etc. So assumed it was all set up correctly. Just on a moment of whimsy I decided to lower the boiler setting to 55C. The house now takes marginally longer to heat up, but on the colder days the last couple of months it's saved over 50p a day, close to £1 a day on some on gas.

Soldato
Just discovered a power saving tip that might help some depending on your setup - we had a new boiler installed and got the plumber to rebalance all the rads etc. So assumed it was all set up correctly. Just on a moment of whimsy I decided to lower the boiler setting to 55C. The house now takes marginally longer to heat up, but on the colder days the last couple of months it's saved over 50p a day, close to £1 a day on some on gas.
Or use Opentherm and it will control the temp for efficiency itself. Mine often sets to about 30c only going higher on the really cold days when it first switches on in a morning, to maintain temps it will go down to 20c.

Soldato
Very good call. I don't get much from Tesco, so don't ever accumulate that many points, but an excellent tip for lots of others.

Soldato
I dunno. This guy shows how he solar charges his Tesla. All good until you get to see the size of the trailer :p

There's not much info about the solar Tesla project so you could well be right. Just seems like it would be a hugely inefficient way of doing it to convert DC from a solar panel through an inverter to AC then back to DC again through the charge controller in the car.

Associate
I finally got through after nearly 4 hours on hold, and they actually tried to upsell me packages when I said I wanted to cancel. Complete joke.

That sky?

We cancelled ours last year they tried putting our price up from 70 to 100 a month so we cancelled the lot they tried everything to get us to stay we had phone tv and broadband complete faff

Associate
That sky?

We cancelled ours last year they tried putting our price up from 70 to 100 a month so we cancelled the lot they tried everything to get us to stay we had phone tv and broadband complete faff
Yeah Sky, can't really blame their staff when they are reading from a script, but ridiculous to try to add stuff to my package and extend the contract another 18 months when I have rung to cancel the lot.

Soldato
Or use Opentherm and it will control the temp for efficiency itself. Mine often sets to about 30c only going higher on the really cold days when it first switches on in a morning, to maintain temps it will go down to 20c.

My boiler doesn't support dynamic temperature changing, so it would only be the on/off function, so I would still have to manually reduce the boiler temp to actually get the boiler to be more efficient - but interesting yours goes down to 30, I might try lowering ours a bit more and see what difference it makes

Soldato
My boiler doesn't support dynamic temperature changing, so it would only be the on/off function, so I would still have to manually reduce the boiler temp to actually get the boiler to be more efficient - but interesting yours goes down to 30, I might try lowering ours a bit more and see what difference it makes
The lower you go the bigger your radiators need to be, mine are huge for this very reason, it becomes very cheap to heat your home.
99% of so called heating engineers just do the calculation based at delta50 (average 70c water flow/return). I did mine at something like delta30.

Delta 50
80c flow, 60c return, 20c room temp.
Average 70c water - 20c = 50.

Delta 30
60c flow, 40c return, 20c room temp.
Average 50c water -20c = 30.

So when you see a radiator it will be a given output at Delta 50.
Most of my radiators I basically fitted the biggest that would fit.

It's important to keep your return temp around 55c or less so it condenses as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom